Favorite Bass Solo(s)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by alexssandro, Jun 19, 2000.

1. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Lost Woman Blues - James Gang - Yer Album - Tom Kriss

Any Stanley solo on his early solo albums, esp Hello Jeff and Rock 'n Roll Jelly.

2. Anything played by C. F. Turner........

3. Felken

Felken

Jun 28, 2016
    Ottawa, CAN
    From anywhere, even if it's just a fill.

I'll start:

That last part drool

EDIT: His tone kinda sounds like a muscle car don't you think? I love it!

Kombo, JohnPaulSmith and Spectrum like this.
  4. Les Ismoor

Les Ismoor Masochist of the First Order

Sep 10, 2015
    SW Ohio
    First one that came to mind...

Jon Camp. Kicks in around 7:15, but the bass throughout is very nice.

El-Bob, RichardW and Bob_Ross like this.
  5. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    eustis fl
    I don't know how to post the songs on here like u guys did, but powerhouse sod, Jack Bruce off west,bruce and laing live n kickin album.

6. Les Ismoor

Sep 10, 2015
    SW Ohio
    getrhythm likes this.
  7. Okay, well, another Geddy

JackNasty and Felken like this.
  8. John Camp is awesome. Renaissance is one of the greatest prog rock bands you never heard on the radio (at least not where I grew up).

Relsom and RichardW like this.
  9. The mighty Geezer, of course

10. joebeadg

joebeadg

Sep 1, 2010
    eustis fl
    AW! Thank you Les

11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    A few come to mind:

Alphonso Johnson, on John McLaughlin's "Every Tear From Every Eye". Bass solo starts at 4:34 ...but there's so much wonderful multiway improvised conversation going on in this entire tune that it'd be a shame to just skip ahead to the bass solo!

Conversely, I would strongly advocate skipping ahead to the 5:40 mark on Stanley Clarke's "Concerto For Jazz/Rock Orchestra". The bass solo section from 5:40-7:40 is stunning, not so much for Stanley's bass per se but for the incredible telepathic rapport between Clarke, George Duke on Fender Rhodes piano, and Steve Gadd on drums. An astounding glimpse into improvisors with huge ears and copious chops interacting, provoking, cajoling, inspiring one another. I've been listening to this tune for ~40 years and my jaw still drops every time I hear this section.

(The rest of the tune aint too shabby either -- though I could do without the vocals -- but man, that two minute stretch is just sublime.)

Is this a "bass solo" or is it just a remarkably talented musician embellishing the melody? Who cares? This is quite possibly the absolute pinnacle of bass playing imho. Jeff Berlin, on Bruford's "Palewell Park"

Always enjoyed Partick O'Hearn's solo on this live version of "The Purple Lagoon" from Frank Zappa's Live In New York album...though I'll admit I'm torn; is it a brilliant example of a musician exploiting a limited set of materials via motific development? or is it just a guy rattling off a few variations of the same canned lick? :) Meh, it's fun to listen to either way. Bass solo is from 8:30-10:23 but check out the bass cadenza at the very beginning also!

And bravo to Les Ismoor for citing "Ashes Are Burning" !

gebass6, JJR58, TL23NC and 3 others like this.
  12. Les Ismoor

Sep 10, 2015
    SW Ohio
    Made loud to be played loud (yer welcome).

13. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    A couple John Entwistle gems

fragmatic likes this.
  14. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    John Deacon

15. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Love this solo by Sean Hurley....

Ant Illington, Felken, TL23NC and 2 others like this.
  16. Les Ismoor

Sep 10, 2015
    SW Ohio
    I went to Miami University in Oxford, Ohio in the late '70s, and we had a wonderful local radio station- WOXR FM. They played everything from Renaissance to Caravan to Goose Creek Symphony to Wishbone Ash. If you've seen Rain Man (Dustin Hoffman & Tom Cruise), you heard "97X, BAM! the future of rock" on the radio of that beautiful '49 Roadmaster. Those were the days (and I sure miss 'em).

And, great posts by everyone here! And so now, to get it out of the way:

tangentmusic, Spectrum and Bob_Ross like this.
  17. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Call me cheesy. I have always loved this. :D Just a meat and taterz bass man beating the snot out of a bass with Steve "Machine Gun" Smith on drums. Love it.

18. garciawork

garciawork

Mar 7, 2015
    Meridian, ID
    That Sean Hurley solo... I want to listen to more music like that!

Ant Illington, Felken and gbrooding like this.
  19. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Jaco's iconic composition, solo, and bass line... There is no favorite, there are many. This is one...a masterpiece.

fragmatic, gebass6, Felken and 4 others like this.
  20. getrhythm

getrhythm

Nov 2, 2015
    New Jersey
    A short solo at around 1:06 in.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021