1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Gold Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Looking great my friend. been a long time coming. So what's next?
    A shot of Laphroaig?
    Bob

2. David Lee

David Lee Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2019
    The red knobs are pretty sexy. What color finger rest are you planning to use? Basic black might help balance out all the red.

3. David Lee

Mar 8, 2019
    I can't keep up with all these fading color schemes - Sonic Blue to Seafoam Green, Burgundy to Dark Blue, Olympic White to TV Yellow. Sheez! Even Gibson's old Cherry Sunburst guitars are known to fade out to Natural! Yeah the Vista series MM's look pretty cool. I was considering buying the black one, but it's missing a string. Deal breaker.

4. halfwound121

halfwound121 Supporting Member

It would be interesting to remove the neck or the pick guard to see the original color. Regardless, GLWS! I don't think you'll have trouble selling it given the shape it's in.

5. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Ha! Right on.

They are shortscale Chromes! They sound pretty nice. The bass is getting Area PJ pickups to replace the Model PJ set in there now.

kevinpmajka and gsgbass like this.
  6. David Lee

Mar 8, 2019
    Yeah, I could ask him to do that but I think I'll pass on the sale. It's a little on the high side plus the cost of shipping from the UK, for what it is. I already have too many Mustangs and Musicmasters plus a Jaguar VM SS. Anyway, I'm holding out for something a little different. Looking at a Squire Katana bass that a guy on TB PM'd me about. He sent pics and it looks okay, but I'm having a hard time getting him to give me an asking price. Also looking at a medium scale Fender MIJ P-bass on Reverb. His price isn't all that bad, but... do I really need it?? Or, is that beside the point.

7. David Lee

Mar 8, 2019
    Another cool idea would be to put a rosewood rest on it to match the fingerboard. There's a guy on Reverb that makes custom rosewood and maple rests for Fender basses. Seems like he only makes a couple at a time. I just bought one of each and it appears that he's out of stock already.

8. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Well the last modification on my Mustang PJ is completed. I didn't bring this up earlier as I just recently came home from the hospital.
    A set of Grover Vintage In Line tuners have just been installed. Headstock had to be routed and 1 new screw hole drilled as these are ½" instead of ⅜". Yes there is enough wood to accomplish this feat. These are the exact tuners that come stock on the (ahem) SG Standard bass by you know who. (See I didn't say the G word). Luckily my bass teacher is a Luthier and took it on just to see if it could be done. It can!! I now can fine tune without chatter or pain. This was done due to my physical limitations. I do not normally name my bass's but this one is now known as Fenderstein. Pictures to follow as it is receiving a professional full set up.

Bob

dmt, Florinda4, OtherLisa and 4 others like this.
  9. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Just received Another awesome guard from Decoboom. This one is in 4 ply tortoiseshell with the streamline design engraved. I think I am totally done with the mods to this bass. It now has a Fender high mass bridge, EMG GZR PJ pickups wired vol/vol, and the new guard. Totally thrilled with this bass. It’s already been across Canada playing festivals.

Attached Files:

Axstar, Rafar, Florinda4 and 5 others like this.
  10. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    I’m going to need to check that site out. They make gorgeous guards. I think there’s one in my future.

11. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    yeah, very awesome, i've had their website saved for a while. I actually almost bought a rose colored jazzmaster just to put their limited edition hawaiian girl pickguard on it, shes beautiful lol , check it out

GrahamNN3 likes this.
  12. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yes... I really liked that one too. I have an antique olive P V with the mint guard. I like the mint guard on it better than any other, but still not a mint fan. I’m not sure what I’ll do yet. Still looking for a guard to say “me!”

13. Here's my "new to me" Mustang PJ. Love the short scale, the weight, the colors, and, most of all, the sound.

Attached Files:

Bobhmcs, Mekana, dmt and 3 others like this.
  14. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    I love my Sunburst American Performer Mustang (shown on left). I plan on changing the pickguard to black/white/black in the near future. I changed the strings to TI flats and they are a major improvement in my opinion. Great bass!

[​IMG]Happy Place by Ted, on Flickr

Uncle K, Bobhmcs, Mekana and 8 others like this.
  15. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    ^sweet

the J pickup is so dumb tho imo. Interested in trying the vintera mustang although i wish they had better colors, not a big fan of fiesta red or the sunburst. Seafoam is pretty cool though

Bobhmcs and Axstar like this.
  16. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Kentucky
    i too wish they had made the american performer without the j pickup

Bobhmcs and TK4261 like this.
  17. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Jim Rodford perhaps invented the PJ Mustang bass.

[​IMG]

18. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    When I test drove the performer recently I was sooo impressed with the J pickup I didn't even notice it nor the control for it. So I agree.
    Bob

19. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Beautiful burst Performer. Also I kinda like the red one on the far right!
    Bob

dmt and walking Bass like this.
  20. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    The new Squier CV 60s Mustang coming in September looks interesting for sure. Really surprised to see a string thru body on a $349 Squier. These are $600 cheaper than the Vintera model. Will be interested to see (and hear) some comparisons.

Classic Vibe '60s Mustang® Bass | Squier Electric Basses

dmt, G-Dog, Mekana and 1 other person like this.