Fender Rumble Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 25, 2013.

Tags:
  1. trigger happy

trigger happy

May 19, 2016
    Idaho
    Happy Fender Friday fellow rumblers. :) As I mentioned before I got a new 112v cab on a trade for my birthday, and I got myself a little something else to run with it, this ESP Ltd B-1005 Multiscale. I can't wait to run them both together but I have to run into town and get another speaker cable. Almost ready to Rumble. 20170929_115920.jpg

Pyrat, Giffro, OldFunBass and 2 others like this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Arrh Matey! [no pirate emojis on tb]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  3. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Hurry, Man, Hurry! :hyper:

4. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Let me rant on a minute or two. The anti-Fender propaganda is that all Fenders are 'scooped'. All their amps are 'scooped'. All their pickups are 'scooped'. All their strings are 'scooped'. [No joke! Some have said that they don't like Fender strings because they are 'scooped'.] Hell, even Fender straps are 'scooped'!

When Leo Fender was designing what became known as the 'Brownfaced' amps in 1960, he added the first midrange control to his now famous passive tone stack. His amps had so many mids that he made his midrange control cut only. That's right, Fender amps had so many mids that he made his midrange control cut only. Bass & Treble were boost only. Not all amps had a midrange control. And to make things even more confusing all the tone controls were passive and interactive. If you turned down the treble you also turned down the mids (whether or not you had a midrange control, it made no difference). Same thing with the bass control. Turn up the bass and you turned up the mids at the very same time. I remember the Fender tone stack well. B.B. King set his at 6-6-6. I set mine at 7-7-7.

At this time Leo Fender invented the 'piggy back' amp head in 1961-62. These were the very first amp heads. Showman first then the Bassman. These amps would go on to become the much vaunted and highly sought after 'Blackfaced' series launched in 1963-64 as the Brownfaces had to be sold before new Blackfaces were manufactured. Later in 1968 they would become the 'Silverfaced' amps. There were some circuitry mods but the same basic Leo Fender design. These things sold like hot cakes & bourbon on Sunday morning. I loved my Silverfaced Bassman 100.

If you want to know about the birth of Fender Bass Amplification and the Fender Rumble series, read chapter 27 of Tom Wheeler's 'The Soul of Tone'. Fender Rumbles were based on the signature Fender tone from day one. This has not changed. Fender amps have never been 'scooped' and they never will be.

Introduced in 2003, Fender Rumbles were well received. They sounded good and were as teenager proof as you could make an amp. The pulsating 'disco' LEDs on the Rumble 60 and 100 added to teenage appeal. By 2009 Fender Rumbles were the best selling bass amps world wide. A global achievement that Fender Rumble would continue to reach year after year, and even today they are still the world's best selling bass amps.

Fender Rumbles outsell all but one company's total annual output. Some day soon I look forward to announcing that Fender Rumble sales have outstripped all bass amp companies combined. It is very close, but not today. Soon.

Edited with accurate dates thanks to @RColie

Raymundo49, Giffro, RColie and 7 others like this.
  5. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Rant? Or "Rumble Talk: Are Fender Amps 'Scooped' "?

Linnin likes this.
  6. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    The block diagrams in the manuals don't count?

7. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I think my dates are correct as I am just going off the top of my head. Also my knowledge of Fender guitar amps is somewhat spotty in that I'm no expert historian. It needs a fact check and a bit of a rewrite so have at it and add it as a Rumble Talk.

8. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    No, because it doesn't state the exact ICE power module.

9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    One thing we should discuss is what the hell does scooped really mean anyway?

Here's my simple man definition. You have a BIG bowl of sugar. You take a sugar scoop and scoop some out into another smaller bowl. You can now say the large bowl of sugar is scooped.

Likewise in sonic frequencies you can use EQ to remove or scoop a certain frequency or range of frequencies. It could be lows or highs or mids.

Yet the term scooped is the most overused and misused term in the talkbass lexicon. If anything is perceived to be lacking in midrange content, it is immediately labeled as scooped. It is the label of shame just like 'The Scarlet Letter' A for adulteress.

Certain sets of bass strings that are somewhat lacking in midrange content are immediately branded as scooped even though no post bass signal EQ removal of mids has been preformed. Yet the label of shame has been viciously and erroneously applied.

The same happens to pickups. Especially Fender's new V Mod pickups. Many fools immediately pronounced them as scooped. Here's my take: The thing is that all Fender Precision pickups from the very beginning have a very strong pronounced midrange. So much so that it came to be known as the Precision 'Honk'. It was right around 625-650Hz. This is what actually led to the popular 'scooping' of the mids. The VMods have a good strong and balanced honkless midrange. Bottom end is clear and authoritative. Top end is crystalline and soaring.

In bass amps the scooped label of shame is oft applied to any amp the writer doesn't like whether or not the amp has actually been auditioned. Of course no open mind would be available if they did.

Dude! You're drinking a lite beer?! Don't you know it's scooped?!!

Don't tell me you're driving on Goodyears!! Don't you know they're scooped?!!

You're playing a Fender?! With Fender strings?! Through a Fender amp?! Don't you know they're scooped?!

Giffro, trigger happy and JakobT like this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    from another unrelated thread

11. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    I received my two 210 cabs yesterday. Really nice.
    Just gotta find the right sound through my Carvin head.

At this point it's like I'm all dressed up with no where. My only playing situation right now is on the worship team at my church in a 2000 seat theater with plenty of FOH to play through. I also use an SVT 4 with a Hartke hydrive 1 12 on stage and in ear monitors (I only keep one in).
    I may bring the head and one cab in one Sunday but 7am load in is busy enough without bringing extra gear.

FrostyNuggets, pbass74 and OldFunBass like this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Not possible. Your carvin head is totally scooped. Burn it and buy a Fender Rumble.

Giffro and jfh2112 like this.
  13. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    you probably right but it isn't in the cards at the moment.

14. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    it is almost too clean, gotta be more I can do for the sound

Linnin likes this.
  15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    That is your tone quest. Quest On. You may buy many amps and spend many thousands of dollars. Quest On.

Youngspanion likes this.
  16. Michael B

Michael B

Dec 16, 2015
    Lowell, MA
    The pusher man

Linnin likes this.
  17. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Wait, what? Absolutely no disrespect to my friend Linnin, who I respect and adore, but is that a BX1500? If so, you can get flat, scooped or boosted anything you want.

18. mbart203

mbart203

Dec 29, 2009
    CT.
    It's a bx600

19. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Perhaps you should just buy a Fender.

mbart203 and BadExample like this.
  20. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    About the same other than the wattage ratings and one channel. If you don't have the manual, it's http://carvinimages.com/manuals/BX600-BX1200.pdf

Contour is the scoop, go left with it and you have no mid scoop.

Bass knob is at 80 Hz, I'd say no more than +3db if you are playing loud.

Treble to taste. It's 5 KHzish.

The semi-para are labeled, best to cut what is too much over boost what is too little. But the Fender cabs should handle either. Graphic is similar. Check: Audio Info & Education

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021