1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G & L JB-2 or Carvin B40?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by profdave, Jun 5, 2011.

1. profdave

profdave

Nov 3, 2007
    Some adivice adn opinions: this crowd is good for both. I'm going to buy a new jazz bass and love the G & L JB-2. I'm a shopper and noted that the Carvin B40 with similar specs is about $300 plus less than the G & L. I already love the G & L but the Carvin has a good reputation too. So for feedback, should I get the Carvin and save some cash or go with the G & L because it's a long term investment: I keep my guitars for life. Also, if someone has a recommendation for a jazz bass I'd like to hear that too.

Thanks.
    The Prof

2. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    they do seem pretty similar. J pickups in a P body.

I haven't owned a B40, but I have an SB5000 on order. Carvin is a great way to go if you want to customize the bass some. And yes, their prices are amazing.

Are you looking at a US G&L? The quality of the US G&L's are amazing. I owned a Jb-2 and it was a great bass, but I couldn't get with the body shape.

Resale isn't great on either instrument.

If you want the G&L though, go for it!

3. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    clear winner here: G&L

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    +1

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    G&L

6. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I've had several of both G&L and Carvin (though not the B-40, the earlier neck-through passive 4). The Carvin stuff was very nice, but I've always found that my G&L basses have more character.

I own a very special JB-2 that I hope to sell some day to a JB-2 lover... but it's a relatively expensive one :).

7. Flabass

Flabass Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    St. Petersburg
    G&L

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    What makes your very special JB-2 more special than my very special JB-2? :D

9. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    It was one of 2 matching transparent vintage white specially-selected super-light ash bodies with bound birdseye maple necks and matching headstocks that were made up for the JB-2's debut at the 2001 NAMM show.

I picked it up at Bass NW in fall of 2001 and it's still in mint condition with all the case candy... I didn't gig it. I figured some day someone would truly appreciate it as much as I do and I would sell it to them.

I think it's a very special JB-2, but I didn't say it is more special than yours :).

10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    ...so where are all the Carvin fans??

11. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    yea, you're getting a lot of G&L fanboys in here. G&L's are great and are super quality.

i like Carvins and have never had a problem with them. i ordered a new custom SB5000 from them because they are getting RAVE reviews.

if you posted a G&L or Fender thread, i guarantee that you would have way more people telling you to get a Fender.

freddels is a G&L guy and i bought my G&L Jb-2 from him. he has an sb4000 and it is one of his favorite basses.

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'm a big fan of both G&L and Carvin basses. I've had a JB-2 and I have a Carvin SB4000. The JB-2 is long gone but the Carvin is my go to bass right now. I still have several L2K's.

13. kellyrojo

kellyrojo

Feb 16, 2011
    South Carolina
    You my friend, have a great dilemma. Can't go wrong either way! Good luck~!

14. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    holy crap dude. did you search for your name or something! :)

seriously, this guy was a big deciding factor in me ordering my SB5000. anyone who loves G&L and a Carvin is one of their favorite basses knows how well built a bass should be!

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Do you still have that JB-2? That was one of the lightest basses I've ever owned. It was a great player.

16. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    We want pictures.

17. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    i don't. :(

i'm more of a fan of the traditional J body and decided that the Jb-2 didn't ergonomically work for me.

18. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Okay, I'll just say Carvin and not give any reason the way a few others wrote G&L without explanation. ;)

19. +1
    Clear winner here: Carvin :D

20. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    +1 G&L "character".