Genzler Amplification Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Discount Saint, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    I know I’m being a little trite but while every cab does have its own character and honestly you can’t go wrong with any of the genzler cabs, I have found the Magellan to be a sonic sculptor. If I’m looking for a sound- there seem to be very few I can’t get using the Magellan.

I have posted this before but I have found the best way is, if you have a looper you can twist the dials till you get what you’re looking for.

All of our tone goals are different, our Basses are different and our playing styles are different so what works for one of us may not work for another - at least in regards to settings.

I also found the contour worked so well that is was months till I started playing with the tone controls and had them pinned at noon.

experiment - I’m sure you will find the punch you’re looking for!

2. jradbass

jradbass

Dec 2, 2007
    Thank you.
    Extremely appreciate the in depth response. Great info to help me decide.

Erik Turkman, Loring and Basselink like this.
  3. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    So I had the little rig all plugged in and running. At quiet volume and light playing, it sounds great. Great response, nice clarity, clean down low. However, when I kind of started to dig in, complete opposite of what I have to have. The speakers farted out, couldn’t handle even the slightest bit of pushing. I have the amp gain at 3, volume set to 12 o’clock, eq is flat, mid frequency set to about 600, tried the a/b switch for the modern/classic shape, and this awe full tube type distortion. I hope that isn’t the intention of the Genzler amps is give a tube tone. If so, wow did I pick the wrong amp

4. Jeff Genzler

Jeff Genzler Commercial User

Feb 9, 2007
    Brooklyn NY
    Currently GENZLER AMPLIFICATION / Formerly GENZ BENZ
    @iriegnome ---- Sorry about the issues you're having. I think I need to get a complete sense of your rig so I can better assist.

PM Sent...

MAXSPINRUN, iriegnome and Basselink like this.
  5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Thanks Jeff. PM very long PM returned. I was only hoping to find the voicing of the amp.

6. noahw1

noahw1

Jul 22, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    When you say gain at 3, do you mean 3 o’clock? And volume at noon? For me that would be crazy loud. I don’t think I’ve had either one past noon.

7. Joeykun

Joeykun pronounced ジョーイくん

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    Go back a few pages. We were all sharing our settings. Here is mine.
    I don’t have anything near 3 especially my gain and master!
    06E458CF-8621-4658-A895-0E2197727119.jpeg

Sodbuster, MAXSPINRUN and Loring like this.
  8. 3bc

3bc Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Chicago Burbs
    Also cannot imagine needing volume or gain to 3pm. The drive channel is intended to simulate an old school saturated kind of sound. If you don’t want that sound stick to the other channel that doesn’t use that sound. It does both things. I would say personally it does the squeaky clean sound a lot better than the old school saturated sound.

Wicked G and Loring like this.
  9. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Here’s mine

72419AD9-0850-4BF5-9F2D-6668C1682FED.jpeg

when I was looking for more mid punch…

SadowskySteve, bebass and MAXSPINRUN like this.
  10. Joeykun

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Endorsing Artist: SADOWSKY GENZLER DARKGLASS TEMPLEBOARDS KIRLIN CABLE RIGHTON STRAPS
    @Loring ^^^ that’s a great low mid punch boost around that 200Hz area that’s great for finger style playing. Dig it!!!!

MAXSPINRUN and Loring like this.
  11. jradbass

jradbass

Dec 2, 2007
    Thanks for the pic - I have a very similar set up as far as ratios of B/M/T - although not as extreme on the mid positions. I have them about 10&2. Works very well - I just feel I’m
    Missing a little bit. Of course it’s all subjective, & as much as I love the Magellan - the simple fact that there is another option from Genzler for me to try basically means I just have to try it.

Decided from the moment I first got my rig that this was the brand for me. So - I feel I just to have to explore the options available.
    Only reason I’d ever switch brands now is if Jeff decided to start another company. Ha!

RColie and Loring like this.
  12. Loring

Loring Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    Variety is the spice of life…

13. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Yes, just dial it in!

MAXSPINRUN and Loring like this.
  14. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Yes, good to have options.
    What I am seeing is that once a player gets used to the sound from a bass array, it is difficult to perceive a non-array cab as normal. Anyone making the transition from an array cab to a non-array cab, I suggest give your ears some time to adjust, as they can sound good too. And the same applies when transitioning from a non-array cab to an array cab. It is just that the paper cone driver array has a different sound than a cab with a horn.

15. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    If I remember correctly, you’re running an MG350 into a pair of PJB cabs. Not sure which cabs they are but running that much preamp gain could very likely be clipping the amp. 3 o’clock is very aggressive for preamp gain and I’d be surprised if the clip light isn’t shining like the sun! Then running the master at noon on top of that has me thinking your cabs are farting out because they’re begging for mercy.

These amps are clean. The MG800 has a distortion channel but the 350 shouldn’t be introducing that type of tubey overdrive sound, but I’ll be honest and say I’ve never gone beyond 11 on the preamp so I may be speaking out of turn here (and assume someone way smarter than I will correct me).

When I want clean and loud, I buy more watts and let the amp breeze through what I’m asking it to do. The 350 gets loud but you may be asking more of it than it’s capable of.

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Sorry. Not 3 o’clock. On 3 or I guess at 9 o’clock. Preamp is set vey low with gain at 12 o’clock. Then I tried reversing them and had the same response. BTW- the cabs are the PBJ Cab27 and Cab47. 2x7 on top of a 4x7 cab

Edit - watts isn’t the issue. The issue is more speaker for the watts I have.

Jamvan and noahw1 like this.
  17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well all set to give it a run

40C45C6B-2F14-4CD1-8772-DDC8C51FAF25.jpeg

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Played outside today. Art in the park. Sounded awesome. Also had FOH so I got to use the DI which sounded awesome as well.
    318C2B71-8D34-40A1-8C70-DD1D62DC6AF9.jpeg

19. RColie

RColie Gold Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    My MG350/BA10-2 combo and additional BA10-2 arrived Friday, safe and sound (Jeff uses very sturdy packaging)! My next gig is Tuesday in the venue where I've used the MG350/MG12T-V combo several times. I think I'll bring both BA10-2s and try one cabinet first set and both cabinets second set. I'm looking forward to seeing how the BA10-2s compare to the MG12T-V in this venue. More to follow...

Bob

20. Joeykun

Jun 22, 2007
    MA - RT. 2
    Come on Bob! Go BIG or Go Home.
    Stack ‘em and Play ‘em! They were made this way. :cool: (I know I’m evil)

jjk2007, noahw1, mwbonsall and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021