1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Get off my LAWN! "Grumpy Old Farts"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B-string, Dec 29, 2013.

1. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana

fnordlyone likes this.
  2. Summer starts in May, now.

BadExample likes this.
  3. Prince George plays with a toy gun as Kate Middleton keeps a tight grip on Princess Charlotte after the royal siblings gambol around at the polo

BadExample likes this.
  4. No, none of the Louisiana folk savor nutria. Only known one person to taste it-- a chef friend who worked at a restaurant Woods and Waters that specialized in wild game. For what it's worth, he said it wasn't bad...and it didn't taste like chicken. There is a State bounty (invasive species) for killing nutria paid by the tail... they're trying to get locals to eat them. Strange for a tribe that will eat crawfish, alligator, doves, rabbits, squirrels, and turtles, that nutria never caught on... probably the rat factor, and grampa never saw one/made a recipe.
    fnord!

BadExample likes this.
  5. Looking good - I had a Luthite SR starting out but found the neck unstable, good to play on though and I've
    always wondered what the upmarket versions were like with the better materials. What do you think Alaska
    are they stable or "touchy"?

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  6. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Caught up with the thread and I am still returning to male courtesy. Someone somewhere way back when replied when a feminist criticized him for opening the door for her with "Did you do that for me because I am a woman?" ... "No, I did that because I am a gentleman."

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    As a lefty, I got around that problem by learning to play right handed. But at the time, I didn’t know that there was such a thing as a left handed instrument. You can’t teach and old dog new tricks at this point though.

Ever consider building an acoustic bass out of sitka in Sitka? Some carbon fiber or titanium rods can be used in the neck to help avoid warpage. I once had an Ovation 12 string with an aluminum core in the wood neck. That thing remained perfectly flat despite a lot of stress.

Carbon Fiber Neck Rods | stewmac.com

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  8. Thanks Alaska, I know they use better pups and pre amps so I'd s'pose they loose that slightly metallic edge to the tone too?

Cheers Maurie.

9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    "Transfer It!" app works well to get stuff off an iThing to another computer. Not tried it with sound files but good for photo's and vids. You just open the app, add the files you want to share with yourself. Press the start button and it tells you at the top what IP address it's shared on. Go to your computer and type that address into a browser. You get a list of the shared files and click download. After downloading, you can delete them from the web page, but not from within the app :-\ So get them, test them, delete them, then go turn off the share button on the app. It should be as secure as the network is. If your phone is on a public connection and not home wireless, there is an option to use a password. But then, your goal is to share them, so if someone happens to find and download them, they get a sneak preview. I just wouldn't leave them shared any longer than you need as a best practice. No one knows how easy it would be for someone to hack the web page it puts up. For videos at least, there is nothing for any sort of iThing that does much for video editing.

For audio files that don't need editing, or you can edit well enough on the iPhone, have you looked for a soundcloud app?

10. Now your making me think - and that hurts : ) - I want to learn fretless and I'm finding the neck on my D'lxe Jazz 5 a bit wide mid neck as my hands age (65) - a G&L L2500 fretless with 17mm bridge ticks all my boxes except that there's sweet FA chance of trying before I buy as G&L's are rare in Oz and I'd have to import on blind faith,
    whereas Ibanez litter the ground here.
    HMMMMM.......................

11. Good for you, lefty. Looks beautiful to me-- I like.
    f!

12. alaskaleftybass likes this.
  13. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    0D401706-AEB1-47B5-9ED3-A64ACB55540C. A20A114A-605A-4D19-9638-D8EB28E1A66C. 72A5CAED-C29E-4375-A1BF-3385198124BC. C1C87BBC-5905-4589-BD9D-C883EEDF5D9B. Sneak preview for GOFs only. 30th anniversary gift for my wife. Two MI inputs + an xlr blended with each, + stereo aux in. Perfect for geetar and karaoke.

Thanks to Andy for tech support on this, and so many other projects.

Complaints regarding build quality should be directed to the PNR. I believe the liaison would be @spankdaplank

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  14. spankdaplank

spankdaplank

Jan 19, 2003
    Philippines
    At a young age I started to despise "competition". Maybe when I saw athletes in my school getting preferential treatment. So I definitely " marched to my own beat " literally. Playing bass. Trying to be good and get better.

Fast forward to the 1970's and 80's. I wrote a couple of tunes as a parody and for a joke. One was called "Grease Gunn ("it's my grease Gunn baby"). The other one, "Shake Yer' Big Butt". Both were well received and requested regularly by our audiences.
    I had also composed some tunes with sensitive lyrics, beautiful changes, and great arrangements. They were received like musical AMBIEN! ZZZZZ.
    Lesson learned.

So my latest composition is called "Spank Da Plank". Female vocalist and funky bass line : (" ooh daddy spank da plank, yeah slap the wood, aww suggah spank that plank, slap it good!").

But one thing is true right now. I have a good life in my advancing years. And a lot of silly fun, too.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    agedhorse likes this.
  15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    That's gorgeous. I see inputs for guitar and vocals. Is there an AUX in for karaoke? Nice work, @BadExample !

16. Alaska, I find your rack amusing and primitive, though it does posses a certain piquant yet pedestrian charm.
    Well done sir! Dilly Dilly!

17. Is that a Genz Benz product? Never seen one before.

18. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Ummm, Mr. @Kirk Bryant that is @BadExample 's rack. Wish I could take credit-- I was only complimenting his work.

19. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Stereo RCA's and a mono 1/4" aux in and two channels for mic/geetar, both with separate preamps and effects. The mic/geetar on each side are summed together when both are used and aux in stereo + mono are summed, so a lot of inputs.
    GB Shen Pro: Shenandoah | GENZ BENZ

The "Bicol Express" is the name of a rail line running from Manila to the Bicol Region, where my wife is from. So, it's supposed to look like an old Bicol Express crate. Run by the PNR (Philippine National Railway).

Bicol Express is also the name of a dish available everywhere in Bicol:
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2FqX255p_dspE%2Fmaxresdefault.

20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Is the box heavy?