1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GIBSON Club. Part II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vates, Dec 31, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Good to see actual specs and pics. Case included is well worth the $1k price tag if that's actually the MAP price.

IMO they hit it out of the park. The pickguard, neck profile, and nut width are all personal preference and I think they went for a happy medium.

The real sleeper appointments are the coil-tap and maple neck. The maple will help with any fears of the headstock and the coil-tap will knock any assumptions that it only does dark sounds.

Classy looking bass. IMO I'm glad the pg is that big so you can swap out pickups without visibly defacing the body.

vates, thanos k and Nocturnal like this.
  2. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Hi and welcome!

#383 TobyTheBass

3. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Got my first Gibson bass a month or so ago -- 65ish EB-0
    I've been playing with soul band on and off the last year or 2 so I'm planning to bring it along to the next show and see how it does.

2nl1Ef7.

Attached Files:

4. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Beauty!

gustophersmob and vates like this.
  5. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Totally agree. Please welcome!

#384 devnulljp

6. I think I should get a number too: my Gibson EB14 5 string basses.

2yzlws3.

7. vates

vates

Nov 15, 2007
    Kyiv, Ukraine
  8. Thank you!! :D

vates likes this.
  9. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    One of the best looking Gibson models I've seen. Always wanted to try one. Been a bit hesitant to plunk the cash down on one without trying first though. Their basses have been hit or miss for me, is the coil split comparable to the spank and brightness you get with a jazz bass?

kbakerde and gustophersmob like this.
  10. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Yes, one can get into that ballpark without too much tweaking. IMO, that is.

gustophersmob and Novarocker like this.
  11. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    I have the newer model with the same electronics. I would say you can get close. Both tapped sounds pretty jazzy and a good slap tone with the right strings but not like a real jazz bass IMO.

Here are my three. Yes, I'm one of three people that seems to really like the newer Gibsons.

40106642613_31955ba4c0_c.

thanos k, scottm, Nocturnal and 7 others like this.
  12. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    I had no idea the newer EB had the same electronics. I believe a GC near me still has one.

Thanks guys

gustophersmob, dukeorock and aproud1 like this.
  13. In my basses yes, because I replaced the 0.47uf capacitor with a 0.22uf. In my opinion, this insignificant chage makes the bass more clear and defined as I find them too dark with the 0.47uf. So when I split coil, it really sounds like a J.

14. aproud1

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Good point! I did the same in my 4 that has the stock pickups. Very useful and inexpensive change.

15. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Wondering if anyone can help me out here. Recently got a ‘71 EB3L. Beautiful bass, plays like a dream.
    357B6EA2-EBEE-4D87-94D1-7FAF3F7C2A51.
    Haven’t messed with it too much, but have recorded it with both pickups, neck choked and it’s fantastic, but shy on low end. That tone with a bit more low end girth would be my goal. The neck pickup unchoked is just a blurry mess. Can barely tell what notes I’m playing! Looking for the right mod or swap...any recommendations?

gustophersmob likes this.
  16. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    Lower the volume on the neck pickup to 7, and start adjusting from there. Mix in the bridge PU as much as needed, play with EQ...it does take some finagling but these basses can actually sound civilized. And, if you have flats on it, ditch them. Rounds only, if you need any clarity.

My $0.02 only...

gustophersmob and SoulReflection like this.
  17. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Glad you said that! Most folks here in Nashville run flats on their EB3’s, but I much prefer rounds on that bass. I love flats, but on this bass I love all that crazy mid growl :)
    Thanks for the tips! I’ll play around some more with it!

18. Hof2ner

Hof2ner

Sep 12, 2017
    Anyone have a update when the Gibson les Paul DC tribute basses will be shipped to stores?

scottm likes this.