1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Gig Footwear?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by IamGroot, Mar 14, 2019 at 2:42 AM.

1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I agree, but I do cue from the audience. And the norms change with the times. These days, household name acts tour football stadiums wearing t-shirts and jeans. In the 80s, every hair band was pretty much in drag. It affects the shoe choices!

We play in a few hot, sweaty bars where people are there for the music but are very casual. I wear jeans and a t-shirt to those gigs, with Adidas sneakers, because that context feels right in those clubs.

We also play in a couple suburban bars (cougar bars, honestly). The clientele there is older and somewhat more dressed out. I do the same, usually a nicer pair of jeans with a button-up shirt and a pair of comfortable black dressy shoes.

2. Docs

3. Fire the guitar player.

JohnnyBottom likes this.
  4. JeroB666

JeroB666

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    I always wear my crimson Doc Martins to gigs! :hyper:

Bullitt5135 likes this.
  5. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Too Mike Ness circa '91. You need some leopard creepers.

I usually wear Adidas sneakers or black boots.

6. Blunnies rule. And if you ever need them re-soled, there's a place in Oregon that'll hook you up for around 1/2 the price of a brand-new pair.

7. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Sneakers for me

8. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    These two pair of boots have covered most every gig for the past 10 year or so...
    [​IMG]

foolforthecity likes this.
  9. I use Crocks shoes. Very comfortable and stable. And Converse Cons look like Chuck Taylors but way more comfortable.

10. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Black Sketchers w/memory foam insoles.

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F

May 26, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Same things I wear everywhere else:

Jungle boots (two pairs all black, one pair Vietnam style black and green)

Black M.I.U.S.A. Justin ropers (three pair)

Black no-name harness boots (had 'em almost 30 years, resoled multiple times)

My old navy boondockers (generic looking black, steel-toed, hard-soled, lace-up work boots, 20-something years old and still kicking)

8-hole or 10-hole Docs (also 20+ years old, one black pair and one dark blue pair)

Converse High Tops (built like garbage these days, so they don't last long – I have black, white, red, yellow, bright green ATM).

Black, tall, pointy side-zipper "rock-n-roll boots." Thrift store find not too long ago. Looked 'em, up. $300+ boots originally. I got 'em for $40 in excellent condition. I had a feeling they were high end when I found them.

I never wear open-ankled footwear unless running/exercising (almost never) or wearing dress shoes (maybe once a year, if that). I hate the way open-ankled footwear feels (and looks). I also do not wear brown leather – only black.

I almost never change for a gig; I wear what I wore that day.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 12:12 AM
  12. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    7E609051-47AB-41BC-8333-CFDC96C82CD4.

BurnOut likes this.
  13. TheBear

TheBear Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Converse for the most part, usually black. On fancy gigs I’ll wear cowboy boots but I generally prefer not to...I found out the hard way that cowboy boots aren’t the ideal footwear when jumping off of stages or bars.

14. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    Fun thread, enjoying all the photos.

I should start off by saying that I have a lot of problems with my feet. Ok, so I wear these if I have zero lug (rare) or I have a sitting down gig (rare) or if it's slightly dressy (rare). But I pay for it in pain:

[​IMG]

In dry summer weather and a short lug I might wear:
    [​IMG]

If it's a long car trip (ie 2 hours plus, common for me) or I might combine the away gig with some hiking (common for me), then
    [​IMG]

And 90% of regular gigs - long hours upright, nasty lug with lots of gear banging me around, late nights in sketchy places, then I'll wear:
    [​IMG]

I guess Timberlands these days are kinda uhh... how to say .... too many urban wannabes (that includes me I suppose). But what the heck can you do? They're comfy, waterproof (enough), look fine after getting banged about, protect my feet (enough, they're not steel toed) and (so far) seem to last forever. Also I may be imagining it, but something about the way I stand in the Timberlands - I think my actual timing might be better with them.

Mike

15. fnp5150

fnp5150

Sep 18, 2017
    Valdosta,GA
    Many, many years ago during marching band practice the handle for a cymbal broke, fell straight down, and cut a girls toe off who was wearing flip flops!

burgerdj likes this.
  16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I build and modify basses
    Gig Footwear?

atheletic shoes

17. Bemo

Bemo

Feb 17, 2019
    Lincoln, NE
    When I was a guitarist in the 80s, I wore wrestling shoes. Lightweight, good grip and I could feel my pedal board better through the soles. Looked like sneakers felt like barefoot. But that was when I wore a younger man's clothes. It's the old man NB for me just about exclusively now.

18. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    image.

BurnOut likes this.
  19. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    [​IMG]

foolforthecity likes this.
  20. ...as an aside, an old band I was in supported a goth/glam band.
    The drummer was a 6ft+ transexual who absolutely kicked-butt in very high heels - double bass kit!

catcauphonic likes this.