1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK Fusion A/B Switching Pop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scubaduba, Apr 7, 2016.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Tested a Fusion 500 today and wondering if it is normal for there to be a speaker "pop" when switching between the A and B channels. Not a shrill type of noise, a speaker pop. In other words, should it be silent when switching or is it normal for there to be audible noise when switching between channels.

2. Fe911

Fe911

Apr 22, 2014
    My 800 is dead silent when switching. I wI'll check to make sure it has switched because of how quiet it is. The only popping I get happens when the tubes aren't warmed up yet and I switch the mute off. And that only happens with one outlet at my house? Don't understand that one...... My house is really old!

3. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Any update?

4. 9mmMike

9mmMike Would you happen to have a cookie for me? Supporting Member

Also experiencing this. Any update?

5. Doesn't do it on my 800. Switches from A to B silently, but I've never tried it with the foot switch.

Are you using the foot switch when it pops? Or just pushing the buttons on the amp itself when it pops?

9mmMike likes this.
  6. 9mmMike

Thanks for the reply.
    It makes the same noise with the foot pedal or with the button on the amp. It also makes the noise whether there is a bass signal or not. In fact, it makes the sound when there is no bass plugged in at all. It is more noticeable at higher volume and is at its worst if I have a note ringing when I switch. If I switch "between notes", it is not as bad but still present.
    It is obviously not the instrument cable or foot pedal cable since I can recreate it right at the head by using the button.
    I have only tried one cab, an Uber 210, so far so maybe I can try something else tonight. I have a Shuttle 112 extension that I can test.
    I have a note into GK so hopefully they can point me in the right direction. Unfortunately I bought the head used from the TB classifieds so there is no warranty for this.
    The thing sounds pretty good other than this but I bought it primarily for this option so this is sort of a drag.

7. 9mmMike

More testing shows that it does not happen on mute. I tried another cab but there is no doubt the head is creating this sound. This is my first GK and I am so very disappointed after reading so many good things about them on TB. Every thread I can find where someone had this issue, has no resolution. I thought for sure, if anyone could find a way to fix this, it would have been in the hallowed pages of TB! Ha!

8. Bummer to hear that. Let us know what GK says about it.

9. 9mmMike

GK got back to me and suggested to find my local authorized tech as, "It sounds like the issue might be the switch itself or the relay that is responsible for the switching of the channels."

I found one not far from here so I will reach out. Stay tuned!