1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good <$100 preamp for Realist

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by gribuski, Apr 5, 2009.

1. gribuski

gribuski

Aug 7, 2002
    Nashville, TN
    I'm looking for a preamp for use with my Realist. I've been using a SansAmp BDDI stompbox that I use with my EB. The problem with that being that I have to change all of my settings when I use it for the upright ('cause I don't want overdrive on the DB, yo). That, and I'd like to have something that can help with (potential) feedback.

So does anyone have any personal experience with a specific preamp on a Realist? I'm looking for something less than $100 b/c I won't be using it THAT much, just in town (I have an EUB for use on the road).

I look at Gollihur and came up with the two items below...any thoughts?

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1304-PURE_PREAMP.html

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1297-MODEL_97_PREAMP.html

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    FDeck's Preamp works very well with all kinds of piezo pickups.

3. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I use the Fishman Platinum Pro. I believe there is one in the classifieds for right around $100.

4. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    I just picked up a Fishman Platinum Pro and a Fdeck Pre
    I use a late 50's Kay C-1 copy and a Realist
    Both pre's work well separately
    But I started to use both together and that really nails the sound (so far my fingers are crossed)

If I was you I would pickup a Fishman Pro Platinum
    I really like it and it sounds pretty good

It does add a touch of noise , but I find most pedals do

5. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    The K&Ks are okay, but not great. They use TL02 opamps which aren't exactly low noise. I bought one for use with my original Fishman p/u for a while.

Then I built an fdeck preamp into my Azola- works great. Buffers the pickup and prevents the volume pot from loading it. Simple and effective. I made a remotely powered version for the Fishman, and now I just run that directly into my AI or Eden amp.