1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hurricane Ike

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by king_xanadu, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I'm evacuating

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. I'm boarding up and I'm gonna ride it out

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  3. I'm not doing any thing hoping it will miss

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    thats funny.

all is well in westchase.

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    We're getting some strong gusts down here now. Hard to keep my cigar lit. :meh: Last report I got was that the yacht basin in Galveston was burning. Fire crews can't get to it because there is 4-5 feet of water in all the streets. And the storm hasn't really gotten started yet.

3. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    I'm not doing anything. [hoping it would miss?]

4. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just got a serious gust- sounded like around 75-ish. Winds have picked up here to strong tropical storm level. Our lights have flickered a few times, but we're hanging on for now. The first rain band is hitting us now. This is going to get way bad. They're already saying this may be a catastrophic storm, not just for Galveston, which is unquestionably NOT the place to be right now, but for the nation. Estimates right now are for 7+ billion in damages, according to the news.

Between the wind and the rain, I can no longer keep my cigar lit, so I have made my final round of the neighborhood, dropped a couple beers off at my neighbor's house, and shut the dog/cat door.

Wish us luck! I'll be back as I can.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Here is my local wind profile-

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I'm in Spring, just north of Houston. 75 miles from the coast.

I haven't boarded up, just putting all the important stuff in closets near the center of the house and riding it out. Plenty of supplies, plenty of batteries, but no generator.

It's still pretty quiet here now. Just a few minor wind gusts, no rain.

It looks like Galveston island is pretty much inundated at this point. The news is showing a few fools down there that apparently thought they'd ride it out but have changed their mind - they're wading through the streets, water looks to be about 3 feet deep.

looks like the first bands of rain are just hitting the coast. Weather dude just said it appears that the eye appears to be tightening, which means it's getting stronger - he says it might reach category 3 before the eye makes landfall, which means ~115MPH winds......

Gonna go hang out with some neighbors - I live on a cul-de-sac, they're all hanging out drinking wine :)

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Getting gusty in Pearland. Still no rain.

8. Same here in Deer Park. Been mostly hanging out with neighbors, drinking and enjoying the breeze. It won't be so nice in a few hours.

9. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    We have a light north breeze, 45 mph, gusts to 75. Drizzle, nothing else. No flooding here. I hope it stays that way.

10. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Well, in Nacogdoches we're getting some winds and prepping for our hurricane parties. If it does hit us, it won't be for another day or so.

People in the storm area: Unplug your electronics before you go to bed. Don't want any power surges ****ing you up.

11. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I've got my cable modem, cable box, router, and all my laptop power supplies plugged into a UPS. Also have my gennie on standby- if power goes out, I'll be out for only a short time. I can last over an hour on UPS if I take it down to cable modem, it's that damn beeping that'll drive me mad.

12. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    20 mph sustained. 35 mph gusts...

13. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Still quiet in the Medical Center. The wind hasn't even picked up yet.

14. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005

ok, sorry but that just made me laugh:D

what kind of punk ass storm wont let you keep your cigar lit?!?!?:eyebrow::D

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It quit raining here a few hours ago........

The news doesn't paint a pretty picture down there guys. Stay away from the windows and continue to drink heavily until the national guard comes knockin!

Exept for Mjolnir, that is. Back to work!

16. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Just lost power...this is going to be a long nite.

17. Sorry to hear that, Eric. Still have power here - I may go take my camera outside, as the sky has a beautiful purplish-red hue out. Still no rain - The worst is definitely still to come for me.

18. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    My roommate just called to say the power went out at our apartment. Apparently the wind is really strong down there.

19. I haven't begun drinking yet, but I've got a bottle of scotch and some beer handy for when Ike really rears his ugly head.

20. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Reminds me of some badass like Clint Eastwood yelling at the sky and shooting it, with a cigar in his mouth.