1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin Discussing Music Ed Part II

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Share-zies!!!!!!

2. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Sounds great. Many thanks. I never knew what kind of smoker to get. I always had a penchant fot eh kind where the smokebox is off to the side. Does Bass sell this kind of smoker. Also, I hear about applewood, cherrywood. Can I burn real wood instead of hockey puck-type wood. Does it actually make a difference whcih wood that I use?

3. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Don't have enough time to smoke ribs tonight...
    But my Wife is bringing home some 2 inch thick "Iowa" chops from the Butcher!
    Fire is going!:D

4. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    TEACHER? WHO NEEDS A %&$*$()@$# TEACHER! I own a box of matches. I own a can of lighter fluid. I've eaten McRibs before. TEACHER???? @#%_(*@^%&*(@^$%@()#*$^)(*^!@#$

5. Using a metronome to make smoke is the 'art side' of things and has nothing to do with the academics of pig cookery.

No real BBQ master learned to produce succulent and delicious ribs using a metronome. While some may have opted to use one to make smoke, I can tell you for a fact that they didn't learn good Q'ing technique because of it.

Additionally, I am dubious that using a metronome to make smoke has resulted in 'good' ribs. Cooked ribs? Sure. Smoked, cooked ribs? OK... But delicious? I seriously doubt it!

I challenge anyone to post examples of great BBQ'ers who claim use of a metronome (in any way) is responsible for their ability to Q!

6. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    And the faster you cook it the better!:eek:

7. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I've practiced the Ravel all day today (never thought that I would say this, but I am up to HERE with Ravel)! This is what happens when you practice a lot. You get to the point where you sometimes have simply had enough and you are ready to go up on a rooftop with an Uzi. But, I am practicing to play what might be one of the more challenging pieces that I have played. I know that what we record lives on after us and for this reason, I am happy to practice relentlessly this bass part that I have written out. Between chatting with you guys, teaching a few guys at The Players School, talking with Vicky about biz, writing new music (I do this every day if possible) and discussing a tour in South America, I AM PLUM TUCKERED OUT! Time to go home and see my boys. They are the greatest guys in the world and when I get there, I have to get ready to answer the questions and statements that boys of their age will ask (But, WHY can't I drive the car into the pool after drinking a bottle of Segrams??? The water ain't that deep!!!!!)

Talk tomorrow! I am here for a couple of more weeks and then I must take a break from Talkbass. But, until then, keep practicing "The Good Stuff!"

8. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I love this! Very funny! Does good BBQ happen between 60 to 85 or between 110 to 256?

9. Craigmartini

Craigmartini

Feb 15, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: EMG pickups, Harke, GRABBIT stands.
    Jeff, you are quite welcome!

Yes!
    Bass pro shops sell all kinds of smokers. The Bradley I described only uses the puck type. LOL, it is real wood that it uses they just grind it up and press it together for ease of use for busy guys like yourself!

If you wish to get the smoker box type they have those as well, the difficult part about these is keeping the proper temp. going. If your smoker gets to hot the result is yucky bitter burned flavor, not yummy hint of smokey goodness. Too cool and it never gets finished and your dinner ends up being a midnight snack.

The Bradley has a temperature setting on it, I keep mine at about 200 degrees for perfect smoking.

I have had a few different smokers in my life, this one BY FAR is the easiest to use and has the best results for the average aspiring chef.

The difference in wood flavor is quite noticeable in my opinion. I love apple and hickory, I don't personally care for mesquite but this is all subjective.

Just head down there when you have time and have a look around, I bet you will spend some time shopping!
    Good luck!

10. Anything over 120bpm = grilling. Up to 120 CAN be considered BBQ but it depends on the region of the US and whether you're using dry rub, tomato-based or mustard based sauces.

11. After being a long-time lurker regarding this thread (and gaining lots of insight and help regarding my approach towards studying music), I feel like adding a comment. Finally...

I had a conversation with an american singer/songwriter living in Cologne right on that topic. She pointed out that good cooking resembles Jazz to a large extend, since you have to learn a lot of basic things (academical learning, just factual knowledge, as you might put it, Jeff) - but when it comes to real cooking (performing an art), the interesting thing is that you use the factual knowledge in a much more 'liberate' form. At least this holds true for all food except pastries... there, you'll have to apply alchemistic accuracy regarding the correct amounts of ingredients. But when cooking other food (not pastries, puddings, cakes etc.), the thing becomes really interesting when you apply your factual knowledge (like rules of harmony, music theory) to new situations, e.g. when confronted with a limited variety of available ingredients.

I'll return to a couple of lamb chops now, which are simmering in a pan. I think I'll add a few drops of Noilly Prat (my secret weapon) and see what I'll be able to improvise redarding a sauce for the lamb.... My wife is hungry...

I wish my bass playing would be as good as my cooking, though.

Ah, Jeff, b.t.w. - I've been to one of your concerts, a couple of years ago, at the Stadthalle Siegen, together with Danny Gottlieb and Richard Drexler. It was just a couple of months after I started to study music. At the age of 34....
    Well, anyway - thank you for that concert. You opened my eyes about what can be done on this instrument!

Maybe you make it to the Frankfurt Musikmesse, this year? You have a standing invitation to our place, to enjoy some good cooking, and maybe a very good wine!

12. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    If you are looking to get in to smoking cheap, I have a Brinkman Bullet smoker (looks like a Red R2D2) that you can get from Home Depot for about $60. I make amazing shoulder and pretty decent ribs on it, and once, a very credible smoked turkey.

13. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    When I get one, I will let you know over here. Thanks for your insight. It always pays to go to somebody who knows more about these things than I do.

14. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I have heard about Brinkman. I heard that they are agreat brand. I might check it out, but right now, that Bass smoker sounds pretty good to me. But, who knows. Thanks much!

15. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Is this the one that you mean?

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/bradley-original-smoker.asp

16. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Many thanks for commenting here,. Enjoy your dinner! lamb chops! Yum!

17. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    As suggested, I got a 'bone book to help with my reading- Ernest Clark's Method For Trombone.

What's cool is that the exercises are musical; there's some sort of sequential pattern that they follow as they go up and down that is systematic and cohesive. Makes practicing enjoyable because they are musical as well as good for learning how to read. I get the sense that my ear is being developed unconsciously and concurrently as I learn to read better.

Start lessons on Saturday with George Panos, a well known and respected electric player here on Long Island and New York.

All this talk of food is making me dial up the local pizzeria for a meatball parmagian hero- the closest good bbq is 10 miles south, and I'm too busy enjoying practicing.

18. lighter fluid,you can't be serious,i've been to memphis,lighter fluid is just wrong......

19. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Just say "NO" to lighter-fluid!;)

20. i know.....i know..it's madness

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.