John Entwistle!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by polo3378, Dec 11, 2000.

1. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    i thought that the Alembics had a really heavy headstock so they needed to balance it out with a brass block. but i could be wrong.

2. -Acid-

-Acid-

May 5, 2007
    i had heard of the who and probly heard his name bfor
    but never knew the caliber mucisian he was till a few months ago when i was lookin for bass solos on youtube
    im still blown away by some of it:bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

3. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    before i was a bassist, i was totally oblivious to bass players. then i became a bassist and now i have trouble learning lyrics because im too busy listening to the bassline! my favorite solo is the one from the Royal Albert Hall. that one inspired me too get a Wah.

4. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    WWJD?!

What would John do?

5. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    OMFG! i cant believe i never thought of that! that is going in the sig!

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I was walking home yesterday thinking of a song my band have, and thought, "hmm... what would John do there" (in norwegian ofcourse) "hmm.. that might sound like a regular saying the hyperchristians say in english.."

Ofcourse, ill bet you im NOT the first one to say it though :p

7. tordenet fingers?

is there a better way to translate it? I just imagine that "thunderfingers" sounds cool in norwegian.

8. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    you are the first person who i know of saying it. say i believe that you were the first.

9. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    say everything in English please! unless you can set me up with subtitles.

10. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I would translate it "Torden fingre" sounds much nicer in english i think :p

11. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Torden fingre sounds like a bad disease of the finger to me...but then again, i know someone whose last name is Van Portfleet.

12. I'm thinking "Torden Fingre" is what you get when you slam your finger in a car door. The throbbing is like distant thunder...:bawl:

13. shane_f

shane_f

Apr 17, 2007
    I'm still blown away by John's playing. I mean, how can his fingers come so far away from the fret board and still play that quickly!!! And as for Live at Leeds. WOW! My favourite Entwistle studio bass line would have to be "The Real Me". Any more from talkbass?

14. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    i can remeber the last time i did that. it SUCKED! i was in serious pain for a long time.

15. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    my favorite John performance cant be nailed down. i love all of it so much that i cant decide on any one song.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A big part of his style came from the fact that he had extremely low action; he used to say he liked his strings on "the other side of the neck". With his incredibly light touch, he literally played effortlessly, not fighting the strings.

I ran into him back stage once and he told me he believed the amp should do all the work...not the fingers.

17. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    that is true. the way John setup his basses was so that he didnt fight the instrument and had an easy time playing it. that definetly had an effect on how well he could play and how thats how he consistently went crazy like he did without getting tired.

18. shane_f

shane_f

Apr 17, 2007
    I think the fact that he hardly moved on stage helped aswell!!!:)

19. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    yes, very true. i have never seen John moved around onstage, unless moving up to the mic and getting out of Petes way counts. thats what got Roger the voice that was better for playing in a band like the Who were it was rough and emotional. Pete, well, if he wanted to extend a song, he did but, as the 15:48 version of My Generation from Live At Leeds proves, sometimes Pete just played with his three Copicats.

20. Playing in a Who Tribute band I really like the fact that he stood still... I was never much of a prancer on stage... so it works for me!!!!!!!! And it makes it a lot easier to concentrate on the music. I have a tough time with the "bored" look though... he always looked like he ought to be looking at his watch tapping his foot like... are we done yet?:meh:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021