John Entwistle!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by polo3378, Dec 11, 2000.

1. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    classical soprano into Rock? *shudders* dont make me think about it.

2. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    now THAT is an image!

3. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    You can say what the **** you want about John's last tone being "overprocesed" and all that..

but after listening to RAH today, the man found the piano tone he was seeking, and it was the grand concert piano tone, not your avarage living room tone :p

I like it, most others hate it :p

4. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007

are you feeling ok? better cover up that profanity or we will get in trouble from the mods. i agree on the RAH tone being awesome. although, i would like someone to explain the piano tone thing.

5. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    should i not feel ok? im a little tired after working all day, but other than that im fine.
    and i forgot that this forum is overly scared of words like that (though they are not profanity in my eyes..)

hit a open E octave note in a piano and listen to that tone.. tight, focused, crystal clear.

6. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    ahhh, that explains it. thanks. and i think that profanity is REALLY going at it with constantly swearing. i was just wondering if you were ok because that was almost a rant. oh well, i love rants anyway.

7. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    For bumping causes:
    my band recorded a practice a few days ago, and i was realy surprised to hear how much i got Johns style down :p

8. asahobby

asahobby Guest

Jun 3, 2007
    When I first saw the Who I was floored,nothing like them will ever hppen again,John was the bass extraordinare.The Jimi Hendrix of the bass,really??????? I must agree.

9. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    :D good things come with practice.

10. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Jimi Hendrix and John were very much alike when it comes to how many people they have influenced and what they did for their instrment.

11. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Jimi: "in A!"
    John: "Im playing in F..... A!"

Jimi not realizing hes tuned down half a step :p

12. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    :D moments like that are priceless. especially the half-step part.

Jimi + John + Keith = MAYHEM! and awesomeness.

13. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    Not that I'm anyone special and 99% of you could play circles around me but I've always admired his style. I was lucky enough to be backstage for a couple of shows in '89.
    At one show a couple friends and I were leaning against a plain blue van behind the stage for the last couple songs and encore.
    They pulled the old "park a couple limosines down there" trick to fool everyone and ended up getting into the plain van we were next to. It was pretty cool just to wave hi to the guys.
    We didnt want to seem like schoolgirls so we just kept our cool and didnt bother them. :) ....Damn, I should have bothered them for autographs!
    Just now we have a tribute group called "Who Gives a F*ck" so I finally get to emulate him. :hyper:

14. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    that would be an experience worth paying the ticket price for. i love the Who and John as proved by this thread. i wish that i could have seen John play.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALRIGHT EVERYONE! this is the time of truth. i am going to start a thread in Social Events where we all shall play our favorite JE songs on the 24th of this month.

15. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    hmm.. got no way of recording sadly.

I gotta say, in JEB, on the A ox's tale, i cant stand the keyboard player, he sounds horrible. John sounds nice though.. far behind that ridicilous loud keyboard.

16. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    that keyboard player didnt impress me either. he seemed to be more interested in getting paid than playing.

17. I guess I'm Like KO.. Most of you guys are way more knowledgable about the technical stuff. I'm an old Who freak from back in their Who's next Haydays. And I guess without realizing it till reading alot of these threads how much John influenced me. Even though I don't play too many Who songs any more I have never been a conventional bass player. In fact some guitar players get mad because I "wander off" in my littlee riffs sometimes. But joke em if they cant take a screw. Hat's Off to the OX he is truly loved and sorely missed.

18. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm sorry you missed that experience. I saw him several times with The Who in recent years and several times solo, going back to 1996. Seeing him solo you saw (and heard) a different John. With The Who, John was very much in the background, a musician among masters of their craft, old buds from the heyday, recreating their masterpieces.

With the JEB, his sound was louder, more up-front in the mix, and far more "processed" or distorted. A perfect example of this is listening to RAH and JEB Left For Live recordings of "The Real Me". But, with JEB, all you really ever heard was bass 'n drums...Godfrey Townshend was no guitar god, and they buried him in the mix. The keyboardist was forgettable. Again, listen to the recordings of these two versions and you'll see what I was talking about.

I was always a huge JE fan, and when I saw him live I tried to stand directly in front of him. It was more of a joke to all of them, like a garage band that happened to have a bassist extraordinaire on the ship. They weren't a great act. I attended a pre-show soundcheck on one occasion, I think it was John's 50th birthday, and the band broke into a blues jam. It was unrehearsed, and all John did was turn around and yell that he had no idea what they were playing. Kind of strange for a bass player who had amazing musical and visual queues with Pete Townshend for all those years! In the end, I only went back to see my old hero, not because the band was all that great.

19. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    :) guitar players are too moody. i am going to skip over them and go right to keyboard players. keyboards allow me to switch rolls a bit.

20. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    i am very much a buy-it-in-the-stores person. i rarely see JE solo albums in stores, so when i do i buy them immediatly. the comparison will be made eventually. i wish that i could right now.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021