John Entwistle!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by polo3378, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Ill tell you, getting that bored look down, makes playing "Wont get fooled again" a completely different experience :p

If you dont have to watch your hand, its easier to do.

I notice when i see a picture of john looking at the neck of his bass, he often pulls a face, wich shows he might play something realy hard there..

2. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    that was kind of what made John so unnoticable by the general audience. just think how your guitar player feels. he is expected to do windmills, scissor jumps, and smash guitars. John did smash instruments, but i have yet to see photos of John doing anything other than standing in his area of the stage or singing.

3. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    im always in a deep concentration look unless the line is something i know really well. then, i just go crazy if it fits the song. i like how John used to push the neck forward and watch his hands from behind the neck. that is really cool.

4. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    yeah, where is that pic of John smashing a bass? he have smashed atleast 3 Fender P basses and the famous smashed Warwick Buzzard.. thats so many basses that someone have to have a pic .

Lets not forget the the Status Buzzard he smashed out of zero patient becouse it wouldnt go low enough :p

5. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    by my count, John smashed a total of 6 basses. 5 P-Basses for the Frankenbass, and the framed Buzzard. i wonder if the concert venues will have pics from the shows...ONWARD! TO THE ENDLESS QUEST!

6. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I think it was 4 for the Frankenbass? 2 slabs, a jazz and a standard?

ah, did a little reading, it was 5, sorry.

7. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    yeah, his book said that he smashed 5. now, back to contacting every venue the Who ever played...

8. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    Now, remember, he had thoose basses with him on tour, so he must have smashed them then.

9. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    There's a bit in that isolated-bass vid of Won't Get Fooled, where John doesn't really hit the G2 note he's supposed to, and he makes the face because he's a bit annoyed that it didn't sound quite right.

I think Won't Get Fooled Again is pretty easy to play, but yes it looks cooler when he's doing that disinterested face... looks like he's thinking about his shopping list or something while he's playing with the Who.

10. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    good point. someone had to have snuck a camera in to the venue at each of those places, so there has to be pictures somewhere. i wonder if anyone has records of who went to which shows?

11. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    John probably was thinking something like: hmmm, that pink suit was really nice looking....ill buy it before we get on the plane tomorrow.

12. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    I have this pic on my computer at home, where he realy pulls a face.

He must hit a very wrong note there :p

Wont Get Fooled again aint that a hard song now, but its still a genious bass line.

13. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    POST IT!!!! i love making faces. Keith Moon was a huge influence for that.

14. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    entwistle.jpg

i couldnt relocate the picture on the web.. anywhere, and thats a shame, cause there was a few other cool ones on that page..

15. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    *falls over laughing butt off* that is soooooo funny! that is my new background!

16. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    ALLRIGHT FELLAS! lets make our very own video tribute to John! we need pics, statements, vids, anything ya got that you want to put in a tribute to the worlds greatest bassist!

17. HA its good for him... he'll get in much better shape for his golf game! I don't expect to see sissor jumps out of him... that was more of a 70s Who than a more 80s 90s Who which is what we are trying to emulate because we're a closer to their age in that time period. Check out the video from our last show on our web site. Chris (on guitar) did a windmill punctuated by a jump... unfortunately there was an extention on the stage that didn't line up with the floor level so he landed on the joint between and ate it.:crying:

18. I played a tribute to John Entwistle on the day he died in Alice Springs (yes, slap bang in the middle of Australia) at a Beanie Festival. Unfortunately I didn't know any of John's songs, so I played Who Are You (before CSI wrecked the song) on acoustic guitar with a classical soprano converted to a rocker singing "Who who...who who".

19. That's hella cool and a bit Ironic. I like the idea of the classical soprano singing along in support. Especially when you got to the Who the "F" are you...;)

20. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    OUCH! it hurts just thinking about it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021