John Entwistle!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by polo3378, Dec 11, 2000.

1. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    today, i want all of YOU to play a few of John's basslines as a tribute.

as well, listen to every recording of John Entwistle that you have.

thank you.

2. Will do! I will play one for each year (my faves):

My Generation
    5:15
    Behind Blue Eyes
    Substitute
    The Real Me (of course)

oh hell, Pictures of Lily (my all time fave) extra. Ha!

3. Rest in peace, man. Hope you're up there jamming with the greats! :bassist:

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    RIP, but it's not like I'll be laying down any lines for him.

5. Amaru

Amaru

Jun 16, 2007
    New Glarus, WI
    RIP John

I'm gonna listen to Boris the Spider now.

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    RIP - At least the Who have Pino Pallidino holding down the fort. He's not a pino clone, but he is a giant for sure.:)

7. RIP, man what a player. I wasn't a bass player yet at the time, but my dad and I had bought tickets for the Who's reunion tour and I was pretty scared the tour would be canceled...but it was a great show after all, with Pino Palladino flying in and learning a ridiculous amount of songs note-for-note in mere days.

I've been listening to Who's Next a lot lately..I was raised on it. One of my favorite records ever.

8. He is missed, but he left so much behind for us. Thanks!

Mcbride3.jpg

9. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    RIP John, great player, my very favourite. im so sad that i didnt get to see him live (i started playing a few months after his death...)

i will put on my best of John Entwistle album when i go to sleep.

10. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    peace john.

11. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Where have I been? Never really listened to the Who besides the songs everyone has heard on the radio. I had a student bring The Real Me to lessons because he wants to learn it for a school performance exam. Am totally blown away by the energy of the playing on the track. So am ready to open my ignorant ears to this amazing player. Reccomend me some essential listening please.
    cheers.

12. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Must have-
    Live At Leeds
    Quadraphenia
    Isle Of Wight DVD
    Songs-
    My Generation- original version
    Boris The Spider

Just great Who
    Tommy
    Who's next

13. Ok, check this out:

It's the isolated bass track from the DVD "The Kids Are Alright". The DVD also has an isolated track of "Baba O'Reilly". Get it.

14. as for bass solos this is a very well known one:

i love it

15. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Head Stock Cam!!! :hyper:

16. hell yeah!!:D

17. phippsyg

phippsyg

May 28, 2007
    Sydney
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Optima Strings
    Those Youtube clips are great. A shop nearby has a set of 3 Who Dvd's on sale. Might get them tommorow. Listened to parts of the Kids are Alright album. The rockier stufff is so intense. The quirkier pop stuff on it is probably the reason that I never got into them that much before. Maybe I should get a producer I worked with recently to look at those youtube clips to give him some ideas for how to mix the bass on a recording I did this week!

18. Live at Leeds is pretty much epic, as is most of Entwistle's work! :bassist:

19. +1000 on what everybody else has said so far. it's also worth getting the dvd that came out last year about him. it's a documentary. i think it's called the "ox's tail" or something like that. i should know since i have it but oh well. and while underrated, i think 'the who by numbers' is great too. there's some really good playing by the ox and moon especially. the song 'success story' has tone for days.

there can never be too many threads about the ox. there can never be too much said about him. he flat out ruled. a bad bad man.

20. Thunder_Fingers

Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    Norway
    ^^ :D

"A ox's tale" is it called ;)

Hes pretty much my idol, gotta love the man, he was brilliant.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021