Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joining the Accugroove club!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyliee, Mar 16, 2005.

1. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    FedEx just dropped off two Tri112s and I'm stoked! Too bad I have two more hours of work left.

Both cabs were packed in one very large box. This might be an interesting approach to shipping; make the box too big for the carrier to throw around. As long as they don't spear it with a forklift, it might arrive in good shape. My quick initial inspection indicates the box is just fine.

I bought two 112s to replace my Acme Low B-2 II. It will be interesting A/B'ing them. I'm curious to see if my wife can hear the difference.

Speaking of the wife, now I'm just trying to remember if I ever told her I was buying these...... Oh well, she dropped a few bills on a new sax mouthpiece over the weekend. I guess I'm just keeping pace..... (yeah, I'll keep telling myself that on the way home.)

2. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    You will not be disappointed with those cabs! I tend to think Acmes make good subwoofers for the smaller AccuGroove cabs, so I wouldn't be in any hurry to dump that Low B-2 if I were you.

3. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    I too say hold on to that Acme...but i also say i hat you for owning two of my dream cabinets :mad: :p

4. congrats on your purchase, man! I am the proud owner of a few AccuGrooves and a happy one at that! the Tri 112 is a great cab!

from the grinning lows,

Stew

5. Very cool! Let us know how they work out for you.

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    A friend of mine runs two tri 112s with an iAMP 800 and he is very happy with his rig. says they're loud, punchy, and have great tone.

I just picked up my second AG cab, a tri 112 to run with a tri 210. They're both just about broken in. I've been enjoying the punchy low-end and smooth, warm, refined mids and highs - perfect for my top 40 and funk cover band gigs. Don't be fooled by this chameleon of a cab though; you can get an old school growl if you want to. A couple of weeks ago, I did an outdoor classic rock gig (CCR, Hendrix, Rolling Stones, etc.) and I managed to get a nice fat old school rock tone by rolling off some highs and boosting a little more bass than usual.

When you A/B your new cabs with other cabs don't forget that your tri 112s will have more bottom after their broken in (4-8 hours of playing).

:hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :eyebrow:

7. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    2 thumbs up! Accu' rocks!

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congratulations! The Tri 112L is one of the few Accugroove cabs that I have not heard, but from what I know about it, I am sure that you will be thrilled! I have heard Mark refer to two Tri 112's as something like a Whappo, Jr. in two boxes. Owning the Jr., I will predict that you will be very happy with these cabs!

Question for gfab333:

How are you stacking the Tri 112L and the Tri 210L? Any photos?

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i expect no less than a full indepth review. :smug:

but sweeeet score...

and when you're ready to let that B-2 go, i'll be in line... ;)

10. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    She picked up a Yanigasawa mouthpiece and matched them up with some brand of plastic reeds. The previous weekend we spent a couple hours at another music store trying out a couple different Russeaus (sp??) and Dukoffs. We finally left without buying anything because she couldn't find a ligature to match the Russeau she liked. We literally tried every ligature they had in the store!! And that was just for her tenor. She still wants a different one for her soprano, so we get to start the process all over again.

As for the AG's. I A/B'ed them for a few hours last night and I'm very pleased. Absolutely fantastic. I'll write more later.

I will be putting the Acme up for sale to help pay for the AGs.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The real test was an outdoor gig that I did recently. I placed the Tri 210 on its side, then placed the tri 112 on its side (lengthwise) on top of the Tri 210. With a 1001rb II pushing the pair, I had a tremendous amount of bottom, excellent punch, and great mids and highs. I couldn't be happier with the cabs. Interesting enough, I left the casters in and didn't hear any rattling which was fine with me. I haven't tried this configuration with the Tri 112 on the bottom yet.

I also tried leaving the Tri 210 on its casters and then placing the Tri 112 on its side on top of the Tri 210. As you might guess, you get slightly less bottom.

The cabs' drivers and porting seem to couple better with the former stacking configuration.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That was my suspicion. This is how I stack my Tri 210L and Tri 110, and the combined sound is very punchy and articulate.

13. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Cool. My Whappo Jr arrives next Tuesday (already in transit from Accugroove). I can't wait!!!!

14. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Schaweet!

15. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah. I can't wait to pair it with my Thunderfunk TFB550!!!

16. KB...let me know how you like that rig!!!!!!! I am pulling the trigger on the same rig tomorrow!!!!!!! Getting it all from Dave at T-Funk...can't wait myself.....

Peace,

T

17. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    And bass players get a bad rap for having GAS....

Her soprano is a Selmer Mark VI or whatever the top of the line is. I think her tenor is also a Selmer, similar quality. I have no clue on the make/model of her main clarinet, but it's definitely pro orchestra quality. (we still have the bill somewhere....) She also has two spares; including one plastic for outdoor gigs. Add to that a handful of recorders and other thingies.

And I feel guilty for getting new cabinets!!!! At least she could tell the difference between the Acme and Accugrooves.

18. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Yeah, that is who I bought all of my setup from. I will give a report once the cabinet arrives (I have already been loving the head for quite a while now!!!!)

19. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

I had a chance to play a Mark IV when I was searching for my new sax. Damn. Nice horns.

And, I thought I broke the bank with my Meyer mouthpiece!
    You have a cool wife.

20. pjhandlin

pjhandlin Gold Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Double cool! My Whappo Jr. arrives next Monday. Can't wait to pair it up with my WWU.

KB, looks like we have a long weekend ahead of us.

wyliee, congrats on the pair of Tri112's!! Keep us posted with updates.