1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for THAT tone - ampeg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottomfeeder333, Apr 8, 2009.

1. So, I just picked this bad boy up for 700 bucks used. He said he bought it back in the 90's for 1400 when ampeg was still making "amazing equipment". I've only been playing bass for 3 years, and more recently i'm getting into the tone grind.

I think i know what I want, but i'm still learning. I'm always learning. Anyway, I need a head to power this bad boy. I like deep and thick tone with a good amount of punch. Treble is nice, but not quite as import to me.

Bassist tone whom i love are:

Justin Chancellor
    Geddy Lee
    Tim Commerford
    Chris Wolstenholme
    Flea

Now, I know that tone comes from the bass, cable, amp, cab, and effects all in between. But I'm basically asking for a good amp to match with this that's going to really push this baby.

Thanks so much!

First Post :hyper:

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    SVT comes to mind.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah, first thing most of us would think of is an SVT. (vintage, CL, or VR). Truth is, alot of amps will do just fine. You need to go play a few and see what you think.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT tuber of some sort, definitely.

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, if you get an vintage SVT or an SVT- VR, your amp searching days are over. they are the perfect compliment to your cab.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What's your budget?

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Depending on your budget, then I'd suggest going with a separate power amp and preamp.

8. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Apr 24, 2007
    sylacauga alabama
    spector basses
    gk 800 rb

9. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    JC and Flea use GK
    Geddy uses a Samsamp
    Timmy C uses Ampeg
    Chris W. uses Marshall (if I remember correctly)

I'd recommend GK (700,1001 or 2001) and VT Bass pedal.

10. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    SVT
    SVT-CL
    SVT-II PRO
    SVT-III PRO (all of the above only if it's a 4-ohm cab)

GK 800RB
    Mesa Boogie 400+

11. My budget is as little as possible.

With that said, I'm willing to spend up to 2500 on an amplifier. I prefer tube.

Does GK make a tube amp? I"m going to research these models you've given me so far.

Thanks =)

12. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    :eyebrow:

:smug:

Are you just looking for the cheapest tube amp you can get, or are you asking what it would take to get that tone?

13. Im saying that (as anyone in america today) i'm strapped for cash. If i can find an OMAZING amplifier with "that" tone for 300 bucks...than i want to spend 300 bucks. I'm always searching ebay and craigslist for a good deal (which is no longer rare nowadays).

So to answer your questions, yes.

=D

14. ..wait..you want a tone somewhere between that of Justin Chancelor and Flea? :meh:

well in that case any old amp should just about do :smug:

15. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    A Sansamp RBI and a decent poweramp.

16. GK.

800RB, 1001RB, 2001RB are all good choices depending on how much power you need.

SVT's are amazing, don't get me wrong. But try one of these GK heads, I think you'll like it.

17. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    +1 to the 1001RB and the 2001RB. You can get a whole lotta different sounds out of GKs. You can get a nearly perfect Flea tone, and then you just turn the boost up and you have pretty close to an SVT.

18. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I do like the suggestion earlier about a GK head and then add a VT Bass pedal for the ampeg tones when you want them. I get all kinds of ampeg goodness from that pedal. The GK heads are very nice.

You can never go wrong with a real SVT, though. It will cost more, however.

19. secombs

secombs

Oct 28, 2003
    St Louis, MO
    I'm thinking SVT or a Mesa head

20. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    With bass amps as with most anything, generally you do in fact "get what you pay for"...
    You can emulate a tube amp with effects through transistors, and it can sound cool, but it sounds and reacts in the real world like effects through transistors, not at all like the dynamics of a living, breathing all tube amplifier.
    More portable and decidedly cheaper (in every sense of the word), but not the same.

$2500 opens a lot of doors in the bass amp world. It’s hard to go wrong with a SVT, pretty much the yardstick by which big tube amps are generally measured. There is a good reason you see see so many SVT’s in use by pro’s, they are excellent amps.
    A lot of people love the Orange AD200. Nice amp, but a little “soft” for my tastes, great grindy rock tone but it runs out of gas a little quick IMO. I’ve never got one to do Hi-Fi clean for me at any setting, just not a bunch of headroom for a tube amp rated @ 200 watts. It is what it is; real nice amp, very “tubey” tone with a very loyal following.
    You can even step up into the “boutique” handwired realm for that kind of money. I’ve never heard the Divided by 13 bass amps, but I’m certain that it’s an exceptional piece of gear, same with the 65 Amps “Kings Head”. Either of these would probably push $400-$500 beyond your $2500 budget though.
    I have a Reeves Custom 225 ($2499), exceptional craftsmanship, extremely strong, as powerful as a SVT for all intent and purposes, 20-odd lbs. lighter than the big Ampeg. Different tone; it’s cleaner than the SVT, gobs of headroom, more tight clean bottom end than most players will ever use/need. You need to back up the master volume to get any real grind at less than arena SPL’s, but you can dial in that tubey growl at will at any level.
    Good luck! I’m jealous, I wish I was on a $2500 amp quest myself!