1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa/Boogie Titan V12 megathread!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kr├╝gmeister, Feb 1, 2010.

1. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice! :bassist::bassist::bassist: :cool:

2. Stan13

Stan13

Nov 29, 2009
    Winnipeg, Canada
    I got a Silver Titan from a fellow TB'er and had it overheat on me at my first show with it...I contacted Mesa and they said no problem take it to the local store they use for repairs...It needed to be sent back to Mesa...They changed the lid, transformer, and added another fan...Had it back in a month and no problems what so ever...Im up in the great white north so month wasnt too bad...I also picked up the PH412 and absolutely love it!!!

3. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Same deal here, with a black faced Titan. Mine shut down the 2nd time I turned it on. I paid for shipping to the factory. They did the same modifications and sent it back. The paperwork they sent back with it indicated they did almost $500 worth of work on it. Of course, it was under warranty.

I run two 8 ohm PH 4x12's with it. It is the best sounding rig I have ever owned! IMO, of course.

There's another one in the store here. I'm thinking about buying it and sending it to the factory for the updates right off the bat. You never know when you might "need" two Titans...:ninja:

4. Thanks for the info. feeling great about the selection. I got the ph412 at 8 ohms. I would have gotten two but I didn't have budget for it but it will be a breeze to add more later. Really hoping I don't have to send it back but at least If I do it want be that bad.

5. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Hey Kwin...my Titan evidently went in for the upgrade just before I got it a few mo ago......when I got it it was in a very tight head case with almost no room for air to circulate(it fit flush perfect in front and on the sides... and had very little room between the amp and top of the case...looked cool but...:rollno: . Mesa has said in the manual that these amps need air circulation and to be careful not to block it. I was just curious if you had a rack case on yours and how tight of a fit it was if you had one before the upgrade occured. :confused:
    Although I still think this may have been a design flaw and Mesa probably didn't test it out in all the usuall rack cases made before "approving" the Titan model...this may save some Titan owners a big problem if they get a Rack case 1 size bigger than they need for the Titan...Actually not bad advice for a lot of high wattage heads, esp those with tubes. Still a monster head IMHO...Peace...DAcat :cool:

6. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    I'm using the same case I had it in when it went down. It's a 10 space Road Runner Deluxe from GC. I leave the two spaces above it empty. Even though it's the same rack, it runs considerably cooler now. The updates really make a huge difference!

7. rack recommendations?

8. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Well...there went my theory that possibly by having a rack case that left a least 1 space open on top might stay cool enough without needing the upgrades:D!! I for one am sure glad that mine was upgraded. :hyper: Peace...DAcat

9. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    a couple of questions ....

so if you bought one new, you have to turn around and send it in? or are they selling them now with the new transformer and 2 fans?

also - is it true they are going to discontinue the amp?

i have a 400+ - this is the only other amp i have been interested in for years...the info would be appreciated

10. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Here's what the 2nd fan looks like. You should be able to see it through the left side vents without taking the cover off. I bought mine used, it was originally sold in 2009, I'm not sure if it came from the factory this way or was modified after the original sale.

mesa_titan_08.

mesa_titan_09.

mesa_titan_10.

11. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I believe the newer ones are being sold with the "upgrades". Although, mine is a black-faced, '08 and does not have any upgrades.

I've also heard they are going to discontinue the Titan. I don't know for certain, though.

Thanks for the pics gastric. I've never had an issue with mine overheating, but this thread is really starting to make me feel that I should send it back for the upgrades:crying::meh:

12. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    thanks gastric!

if anyone knows for sure about it being discontinued, let me know.

thanks

13. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    The Mesa rep for my region confirmed it to me.

14. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000

crap - thanks for the info....did he happen to know what they might be putting out there to replace it?

15. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Nope. He hadn't heard anything, yet. I just talked to him this last weekend at a guitar show, too.

He did say that they had enough parts to make 10-12 more, though.

16. 810wmb

810wmb

Jan 29, 2000
    thank you very much...looks like the 400+ gets the call for a few more years!:cool:

17. metalbob

metalbob

Aug 2, 2004
    so california
    this thread is making me very in terested in a titan :)

18. KwinS

KwinS Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2006
    Dallas/Ft. Worth
    Hi, everyone. I am a proud Titan owner. The Mesa website talks about using the second channel on it for hot-swapping, and that it would be good for a person who doubles on bass keys. Has anyone else tried this? How different is the Titan from a keyboard amp? I'd like to try it with a Korg Fantom, but I am kind of afraid to use the second channel as a keyboard amp. Am I being wimpy?

Thanks!

19. Stan13

Stan13

Nov 29, 2009
    Winnipeg, Canada

I am now loseing sound, theres a click and then no sound for 20 seconds...

20. qhbassman

qhbassman

Apr 11, 2007
    My current rig is Eden navigator, wt1000 power amp, wt1550 power amp, 2-410xlt cabs and 2-410xst cabs and various other rack mount goodies. Needless to say, this rig gets attention when asked to do so. But I'm thinking about the titan V12. Any ideas/input on keeping the Eden cabs, but going with 2 V12's?

The cabs are all 8 ohm - Thanks!