Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD USAs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoiNtC, Dec 10, 2003.

1. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Well I'm thinking of getting one of these after playing my teacher's MTD 535 (he has it strung E-C) but I couldn't find too many threads on this. So opinions and pictures PLEASE! :-D

2. I have had mine for about 2 years, its an excellent bass, the playability is incredible, with super low action, and an amazing tone. You can get almost any sound you want from it. considering that both basses are amazing instruments, i will highly recomend you, to try both, before buying any of them. Here is a picture of mine:

C:\Temp\bassmtd.jpg

3. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I played the Kingston, sounded/played real nice.

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I had a 535 and a Grendel 5, and believe it or not, I preferred the sound of the Grendel. The 535 was defintley good and a cleaner sound than the Grendel, but for whatever reason, that Grendel was sweet. I'm not sure why I got rid of that bass!

5. I don't have much expiearence with them but from the ones I have played I can tell you they are top quality basses. they have a real hi-fi sound and that is not for everyone but the playability and build quality is some of the best out there.

you mentioned F-bass, and that would be my choice for a hi end bass, I think that some basses like MTD and Roscoe play a little and I do mean just a little better, but F basses just have a sweet tone, it is like a really suped up jazz bass.

6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Is it just me or do you not see too many MTD 435's?

7. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Actually I really like the tone of my teacher's MTD 535. Haven't played an F yet, although a friend of mine picked on up (Captain Scarlet here on the boards) been meaning to try one, I have a KSD with upgrades, and a Jaco fretless, I was looking for something with a bit more modern tone.

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Bo,

Go to Rudy's in NYC. They have a few MTD's there, upstairs in the "bass" dept...

~S~

9. I had a 535 made 3 years ago...best thing I ever
    did. I can play this bass as fast as (or faster) than my old favorite bass. Very versatile sounds also. I ended up selling my Sadowsky to get another "back up" 535.

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The MTD USA are great basses. There sound, however, is VERY dependent on wood choices. Mike Tobias is in Woodstock, NY not too far from NYC. It is a great idea to speak with him about what you are looking for in terms of sound. I have a 435, Saratoga 5 and am picking up my 435 fretless tomrrow. Here is my 435

[​IMG]

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I second this because most of the ones that are built with the wenge type neck/fretboard and northen ash type body do have a hi-fi type tone however,If you were going to get the one that has a maple neck/rosewood fretboard with the body being tulipwood then you will get a real good Fender Jazz type tone(which my 635 has)but as mention the playability in these instruments is truly outstanding,and also the versatility of the preamp is amazing in its'self because it has the ability to get a very organic or modern tone but yet it can also capture the old TCT tone that was in the preGibson Tobias basses
    But as Mike said you'd do yourself a real favor if you were to talk to Mike Tobias himself to discuss what type of instrument you would like.
    Happy Hunting.:bassist:

12. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.

(Prepare for shameless name drop) While having a cocktail with Mike Tobias last year, :cool: he said he had made Three 4 string basses in the past year, to his recollection.

Interesting that he uses the 35" scale on the few 4's that he makes, although there was a 434 on E bay recently, IIRC.

13. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If I had 4K a 4 string would be my thing, but I guess just more people are interested in 5 or 6's. The same with Roscoe. I've only seen one 4 string and it was from someone on the board.

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    After playing a 35" 4 strings, I do not think that I would want to go back to a 34".

BTW, one of those 4 strings he made last year, flamed avadoire on avadoire is a truly wonderful bass. I played it at NAMM and at the NAMM BassBash last January and fell in love with it. It is the 435 for sale at The Perfect Bass. (see ad at left)

Mike

15. Here's my alder body 435 with a maple neck & flame top:

[​IMG]

This one is the 535 fretless "coffee table" bass with a mahogany core and birdseye koa top, back and neck with an ebony board:

[​IMG]

And this is my latest fretted 535 with a koa body with a spalted top and wenge/wenge neck:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

These are three phenomenal basses, which fit my playing. I have tried other MTD's which were suited to other folks, and which I didn't like.

As has been rightly suggested, these instruments have strong personalities and each one is very unique.

Aloha,

Jonathan

16. just wondering, whats the typical going price for one of these (new and used)?

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I've seen plain bodies w/o an exotic top for "as little as" 1,600 - 1,800. As you add options (and there are many) the price goes up. I have seen pretty nicely equipped used ones for about 2,300

Mike

18. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Well if I pick one up I'm gonna go visit Mike first for sure. My teacher actually used to work for Mike and is friends with him, but just wanted to go check out others opinions first. I was thinking something along the lines of semi vintage semi modern tone, was thinking either korina or tulipwood for body, and rosewood or wenge as fingerboard. One of the things that really attracted me to one was the looks, I've played a lot of beautiful ones with good tone, but I played on at Rudy's the tone threw me off a bit, probably just the wood combo. My teacher's MTD is made of korina body and wenge neck with maple fingerboard.

19. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Bo,

Thanks for the thanks...

~S~