1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Fender Aerodyne 5er

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eKay, Dec 7, 2017.

1. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    Ever since I started experiencing shoulder pain while gigging with my 13 lb ‘78 jazz, I’ve been a fan of light weight basses. My Ibanez that I got a couple years back has served me well at 7.5 lbs, but it’s the dual single coil sound that I love. I discovered the Aerodyne and was instantly taken with it, but bummed that I could only get it in the US in the PJ configuration. The lucky Japanese got the 2J. Plus I really need the 5 string these days. Oh well, hopes dashed.

Stopped at my local music shop for some strings or some other small thing, but I always take a look around. My eyes popped out of my head (well almost) when I spotted a black Aerodyne for the first time in the flesh. And it was a “true” jazz, no P pickup to be found. And... it was a 5 string. How could it be true? I purposely did not play it, lest I become too attached.

Did some research and can find almost nothing on this one. I knew about the non-export models but I was unaware they made a 5. What were the odds? Well I confess I went back the next day.

I tried it out and it felt great. About the same weight as my Ibanez but with that meaty J tone. This thing is badass. Just to make sure I wasn’t jumping ahead too much I tried a dozen other basses. Much more expensive and fancy models. They were all fine, but crap by comparison with the Aero. I was sold.
    2C3926B2-8CFC-4376-B890-AE5B0A58C61C.
    E09C0A45-DB52-4115-AA9D-12870C07A8BD.
    8F0E2249-E9B3-4709-B6D1-0C7E690CD7E4.
    972C6FFD-B156-46B8-B702-CE2CA136D5E2.

wmmj, sears, Thornton Davis and 31 others like this.
  2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

A rare find, indeed! Well done! :thumbsup:

I've done a lot of research on The Almighty 'Dyne and to the best of my knowledge, the "AJB-V" fivers were exclusively non-exports and only came in a J/J configuration. :bookworm:

3. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    Thanks! :D I didn't get it for the rarity of it... well mostly not. It's a fantastic bass as far as I'm concerned. I've never been this pleased with an instrument purchase before, and I've had a lot! I do wonder how many of these were made of course.

EddiePlaysBass and Malak the Mad like this.
  4. Malak the Mad

Given the vast amount of photographic evidence, I'd say…I dunno, four or five?! :facepalm: Seriously, they are stoopid-rare!

AztecViking and eKay like this.
  5. That's a beaut! I'm GASing for a five string, active, PJ Aerodyne. May have to kitbash it myself from a donor Aerodyne.

eKay likes this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    My unicorn bass!!!!

I shall find one someday!!!!

Nice score!

Malak the Mad, pjbassist and eKay like this.
  7. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    This is simply bad-added. I had no idea they made a 5...
    I like how all the more expensive models were “crap by comparison”...

pjbassist and eKay like this.
  8. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very cool and great find, Congrats!!

eKay likes this.
  9. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    This made me LOL.
    Love it. Good name for it: the Black Unicorn!

I looked up the S/N, it's a U+6 digits MIJ which puts it at 2010-11.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  10. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Congrats! An Aerodyne is still high on my list... Enjoy it!!

eKay likes this.
  11. ghoulcaster

ghoulcaster

Jan 13, 2017
    wow never knew they made a 5! very nice, whats the weight on this one?

eKay likes this.
  12. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    An Aerodyne 5er... wow! I'd no idea they even existed. Great find and congrats.

eKay likes this.
  13. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Sweet damn!

eKay likes this.
  14. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Never seen an Aerodyne 5er! Well done and congrats!

eKay likes this.
  15. +6dB Dan

+6dB Dan Gold Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    Very cool! I had no idea these existed. Congratulations!

eKay likes this.
  16. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    I haven't tried to weigh it yet, no access to a scale. But holding it in one hand and my Ibanez in the other, they feel the same, and the Ibby I was told is 7.5 lbs. :thumbsup:

17. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    A thing of beauty.

eKay likes this.
  18. Malak the Mad

They're exclusively passive, so a little surgery would be in order.

A perfect nomenclature for something so "thin on the ground". In the meantime, here's some photographic evidence of at least one more in existence. And no, it's not mine, merely the fruits of my research…

J9RlDhW.

Duder and eKay like this.
  19. How do we know that’s not the same one that ekay just got?

The original ibanez sr885 came in 2 j pickup configuration.

20. Malak the Mad

All things considered, it just might be. hmm_zpsjrfywaas.~original.

eKay likes this.