1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Wizzy?!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jason Hollar, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Hey y'all -- just tippin' around the Euphonic site after my gig tonight and saw this:

http://www.euphonicaudio.com/2005/products/wz112.htm

Can any of our resident EA experts expound on this new guy?

Looks like some of the "road" features (handle & corners) have been beefed up a bit. Cozy.

Any significant difference in size, design, or sound?

Any blowout prices on the now "older" Wizzy model? ;)

2. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Considering noone's been able to get them lately, I doubt there'll be any special pricing ... ;)

I'm torn on the new look. I think I like the old ones.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up ... I hadn't noticed that on the site yet!

Cheers,
    Liam

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Good catch Jason.

I think the cabinet finish on the older ones (which I really happen to like) must have contributed to the weight.

The big question for me, like you said - Any change in tone?

4. as an optimist I'd like to think that this is a step closer to the new 2X8s

5. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Thanks for the heads up.

I emailed Larry to get any info. Same speaker and cabinet. (I should have checked the site first) Different covering and corners as you mentioned. It does save some weight. I'll have to see one in person to make a comment on the new covering but I do like the current EA finish.

Anyone see Lee Sklar's hot rod on the home page??? :eek:

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    29lbs? That's the weight of the "old" wizzy.

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned SUSPENDED

Dec 11, 1999
    The new finish was done for 3 reasons:

1) Weight. Although the pic is new the specs have not been changed. The new wizzy is about 10% lighter than the older version.

2) Consistancy. The texture of the old finish was inconsistant (as was the weight) depending on who applied the finish, how many coats it needed, the humidity. The new finish is much more consistant.

3) Convenience. Stacking corners (after all 2 Wizzys are better than one). New padded handles.

The sound is absolutely the same. We just got a big shipment in - so if you want one, order now! Mine is being shipped on Monday (he, he, he)

Mike

8. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

If you play it before I get there, will that make it eligible for demo pricing? (he, he, he)

LeonD

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    The WizzyM prototype that I got as a loaner has this set of features and that handle is indeed more comfortable.

10. Jeremy Allen

Jeremy Allen Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    Man, I hope mine is being shipped on Monday too. I've been waitin' and waitin' and I already sold the speaker that this is replacing, and the old Polytone has lost its novelty appeal as a bass amp...

11. Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Many have already shipped - check with your dealer

Mike

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Those look like nice, incremental, improvements. As long as it sounds the same, it's all good with me. :cool:

13. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Mike, is the new "Nub Tex" finish a sprayed coating, like the older ones, or is it a tolex-like covering (that's what's on the WizzyM).

14. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    It is a tolex covering. The tilt handle has been removed as well. Customer feedback indicated that the tilt feature on the Wizzy was problematic.

15. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    So dealers...

Will there be a price differential in the new one v.s. the "old stock"?

16. Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I don't think there is very much, if any, NOS. Wizzy's are in quite the demand

Mike

17. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Damn. That's b/c we keep saying how great they sound. Hmm . . . I guess we'll have to bad mouth them for a while and get the demand down so that the price will drop and we can buy more . . .

Nah! They're just too good.

18. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    :bag:

19. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

I noticed this on the prototype I tried as well. I like the tilt stand on the bottom of my old version because it allows you, obviously, to tilt the driver up but also to decouple the cabinet somewhat from the floor if you wish. I never had a problem with it and I'm sorry to see it go.

20. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Be willing to be most of that feedback came from EB players. Decoupling has it's advantages for DB, and the tilt-back handle works well for me.