1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pairing 1000W amp with 400W cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeko, Jul 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeko

joeko

Jul 12, 2016
    So I have a Hartke 4x10 amp rated at 400W @ 8ohms. I’m checking out the Bugera BV1001M bass head to pair with it, which is rated 1000W at 8 ohms. Is it possible to have to much headroom? Do I risk damaging my cab with an amp this powerful? Should I opt for my secondary choice, the Peavey MiniMega, rated 1000W @ 4 ohms? Thanks.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No problem if you don't overdrive the speakers. But that's likely enough juice to blow the speakers if maxed, so be careful. The Peavey would be safer, what's it rated at 8 ohms? (Likely around 500w, I would guess.)

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Hartke cabinet is rated using RMS power units but the amp is rated using other units (peak, burst or something unique to that manufacturer) which ends up being about 1/2 that value using equivalent RMS units.

In this case it ends up being a pretty reasonable match if you use a little common sense.

4. Turn it up until it sounds like it's about to blow up. Turn it down. Done for the meantime.

If it sounds like it needs turning up after playing for a bit, don't. Turn it down a bit more.

tedious1 and bholder like this.
  5. NecroticNoise

NecroticNoise Supporting Member

May 6, 2018
    Acheron
    I did
    I might be wrong but I think u have head room backwards I always thought u wanted your cab to handle more then what your amp can throw at it I have a 4ohm 600watt rms 4x10 Marshall cab I paired to my peavey minimax that is rated at 500watt rms therefore I should be able to turn my amp near full without any issues.

6. Karlson541

Karlson541 Banned

Jun 9, 2018
    Yes, you do risk blowing the speakers in your 400W cab with a 1000W amp, ought to be obvious.

However if you make sure never to turn the amp up above the cab's capability you should be safe.

Normally you would use a cab that is rated higher then the amp's peak wattage to make sure you don't damage the speakers.

7. joeko

joeko

Jul 12, 2016
    Peavey is 700 at 8 ohms

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    No, the amp asked about is roughly 500 watts RMS at 8 ohms, the 1000 watt rating uses different (not RMS) based units.

9. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Uli would be proud.

leonard likes this.
  10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Wattage issue aside, I am a Peavey fanboy, so my advice is, choose the Peavey over the Bugera. It's a better quality product in my opinion. :)

alanolynn and Mili like this.
  11. NecroticNoise

NecroticNoise Supporting Member

May 6, 2018
    Acheron
    I'd say get the peavey minimax as opposed to the minimega it's 500@4ohm and u could crank it, any reason in particular you need 1000 watts if you do need 1000 I'd go all out whole new rig and never worry
    the guy said the burgera is 1000w @8ohm

12. Please! Punctuation makes a blob of text speak into something easy to read!

Lobster11 and Luigir like this.
  13. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Yes, but please note that there are quite a few different wattage "units" used to rate audio power: continuous, RMS, program, peak, burst, etc. The Hartke is rated in RMS (root mean squared) watts, but the Bugera is rated "using other units (peak, burst or something unique to that manufacturer) which ends up being about 1/2 that value using equivalent RMS units."

These games have been played by the lower end of the audio and musical instrument amplification industry since at least 1960. Buyer beware. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Aqualung60, ELG60, MDBass and 2 others like this.
  14. Do they make class "d" cabs to go with the heads? :laugh::laugh:;)

15. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    You’ll be fine. Just use your ears and common sense.

alanolynn likes this.
  16. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    Right now, you’re talking to a guy who literally designs some of the most popular bass amps currently being produced.

You can basically take his word as gospel.

“The guy” you’re referencing is wrong: that amp doesn’t actually produce 1000 RMS watts. The ratings of Bugera equipment are notoriously overstated because they are measuring “peak” watts at best, which the amp is only capable of in very short (ie millesecond) bursts.

The pairing the OP is asking about is fine, but you can still blow up a can with a “safe” amount of wattage if you push the volume or bass too much: the ratings are for thermal limits, meaning how many watts they can take before burning, and can easily reach their mechanical (excursion) limits and incur damage much earlier.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not necessarily true at all.

You might not be able to burn the drivers on that cab with that amp, but you could still easily break them via over excursion by turning the volume and bass controls up too high.

18. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Peavey is likely a better amp, as Bugera is generally known for putting about a mediocre product at best and grossly overstating their wattage ratings.

You can damage just about any cab with just about any amp, but as long as you use common sense you should be fine.

I’ve paired 1000 watt amps with 300 watt cabs before without any problems: the amp only produces the 1000 watts it’s rated for if you turn certain knobs far enough to the right ;)

19. #1. Don't buy a bugera. These are just rebranded behringer products, built to the same quality with vintage looking appearance.
    #2. You're never going to control the exact wattage going through the amp. And knowing Bugera/Behringer, the 1000w claim likely isn't entirely accurate, so you're shooting in the dark. You do risk severely damaging your cabinet.

Don't kill the Hartke. Don't buy Bugera.

Mili and Omega Monkey like this.
  20. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    I glanced at the Bugera website. Ugh, what a mess.
    "Gyrator" EQ... Get the Peavey.

Mili likes this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.