Quad Cortex - Neural DSP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Al Krow, Jan 10, 2020.

1. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, DR Strings, Source Audio,& Fishman
    I got my invoice email this morning! Tier 2 USA.

2. _HunterB_

_HunterB_

Jun 18, 2018
    By Jove! It's John Thomasson! Super cool seeing you here. I'm heading to Belmont later this year and I want to get my rig ready for anything Nashville throws at me. Do you think the QC would be a good choice or should I stick to something like a Noble? Also- saw your post about the water in your basement. Hope all your gear is ok.

Fun With Dirt likes this.
  3. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, DR Strings, Source Audio,& Fishman
    Hey, My gear is fine. I had plenty of time to get it out and I am back at work down here. I use a noble live with an effects board that is mostly digital and controlled by an RJM controller to a sound sculpture switcher. It's everything that I need, but I really want to try the QC after a period with a Kemper a few years back. The kemper was cool, but I didn't like the D/A conversion for bass. The mids and top end were cool, but the roundness on the bottom was lacking. There were some other issues. It sounded cool and I bet it sounds even better now. I am probably going to have to stick to one IR for everything on the QC as I need to keep the latency consistent so our front-of-house engineer can keep that and a second DI in phase.

I'm excited. I have the dark glass, parallax, and cory wong plug-ins. I will be soo happy if I can model the default setting on the UA SVT plug-in on my apollo. I'll keep some pedals to use with the QC if they don't have something that works for me. It's hard to beat analog octave and filter pedals.

Hunter, send me a PM about Nashville.

4. retroXvertigo

retroXvertigo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Me too!!

BrentSimons and Fun With Dirt like this.
  5. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Mine is supposed to get here Friday! Much faster than I expected!

6. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I must be in tier 999.

7. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    I'm in Tier ?. Lol.

DaveTomasi and BrentSimons like this.
  8. Natasdrol

Natasdrol Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Rancho Cucamonga ,CA
    Just got mine lastnight. Loving it so far. Going to spend all day after work diving into it.

Attached Files:

9. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I am more aware now how hard it is to dial in a sound that works in the band setting live. Can get stuff that sounds good, but then take it to practice and it is meh. I need to capture my settings on the B7KU to see how I dial in exactly the same thing in the QC. I have some things dialled in now need to compare to our recorded music with the bass track removed to see how it sits in the mix. I enjoy this.

xush likes this.
  10. DangaDanga

DangaDanga

Mar 26, 2014
    I got mine on the 5th and it's all I ever wanted gear wise outside of bass guitars. I haven't played the competitor stuff to compare but this thing is awesome.

11. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    If anybody feels the Quad Cortex isn't for them, let me know. I'm on the preorder list with Sweetwater but I'll give you cash instead.

12. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    That's awesome. I am hoping I feel the same way. :) I am not even all that worried about whether or not it is better than it's closest rivals. It's more that I hope it really works well for me. I am sure it will. Based on the Plugins and knowing the same care goes into their unit as is in the plugins... I am pretty certain I will like it. :)
    I fell you there. I am on the SW waitlist too. Been on it since Jan19 this year. I think the B2B orders will start going out by this month's end. ...at that point, I will find out where I sit in the order to get one.

BrentSimons and DangaDanga like this.
  13. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    I've found that a really love the Mesa Bass 400+ model. So good.

DangaDanga, BrentSimons and Ryno1330 like this.
  14. Natasdrol

Natasdrol Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Rancho Cucamonga ,CA
    I've uploaded a few captures if any1 wanna check then out. I'll be uploading all my gear in time. Username is the same as here on the cortex app.

15. Ryno1330

Ryno1330 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2020
    What models are you liking?

BrentSimons likes this.
  16. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Have you owned a 400+? One of my favorite heads of all time- if they did a reasonably accurate version of that with all the switch settings I would be in for sure!

17. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    I have a preorder with Sweetwater, but I was reading through the manual and just wanted to check to see if anyone has experience using the Quad Cortex as a MIDI controller. I know you can have commands sent on preset loading, but what about having MIDI sent per scene?

18. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    That would be nice. Considering someone over there sent me an email stating they were very confident they would have their QC by months end, last month. So yeah. I’m not holding my breathe. Just patiently waiting.

BrentSimons likes this.
  19. retroXvertigo

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    I've actually never played one, but all the switch settings and EQ is there. It instantly made my Mesa D800+ sound like a giant tube monster.

There's a separate model for channel 1 and channel 2.

sunbeast and Fun With Dirt like this.
  20. Fun With Dirt

Fun With Dirt

Mar 25, 2017
    North GA
    I played through one once and only briefly. It was at a show where another band's bassist had one and they were the first band up so there was a lot of time to talk shop before they went on and had to tear down immediately after. One of the best bass amp sounds I've ever heard.

retroXvertigo likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021