1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question about wooden pick up covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by alexis=bassist, Sep 15, 2008.

1. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    Ok I am building a 6-string fretless soon and I would like to make some wooden pickup covers!Now my questions are:

1.Do they need to touch tha pickups directly or r u suppose to leave some room between tha actual pickups and tha pickup covers?And how big are they suppose to be?

2.Do wooden pickup covers affect tha tone and sound of the pickups?

Thanks

-peace:smug:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Wood is amagnetic. They make no difference in tone and can be as thick or thin as you want, in contact or not with the pickups.

3. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    thank u very much for tha info!

-peace:smug:

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    Some of the best hand built basses in the world have wooden pickup covers. However, thick pieces of wood increases the minimum distence from pole piece to string, so keep the wood thin (especially with active pickups).

5. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yep, keep the wood thin like kyral210 suggests, otherwise you might get low output because you can't get the pickup close enough to the strings.

By the same token, don't make it so thin that the top of the cover bows up when you're gluing on its sides (if you're constructing it that way) or breaks/cracks when you're drilling.

You should post some pics when you're done!

6. I have been making pu covers for awhile now, and i make mine to rest directly on the pickups, and they are 1/42" thick. On my Douglas, I hear a click from my fingers when I pluck the string, but that is not sent to the amp so I got used to it. Take a look at my site to see examples of covers: http://www.gminet.com/gems

7. alexis=bassist

alexis=bassist

Sep 4, 2008
    I read about u re-making your 6-string bass!I thought it wuz awesome!
    It is because of u that I wanna make my own when I build my 6-string fretless!

Its really kewl that u replied to my thread!!

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Here are the ones that Sheldon Dingwall is making for me. :)

[​IMG]