1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Repair Shop Damage

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ronin614, Mar 8, 2013.

1. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    So...I brought my BRAND NEW bass into a HIGHLY recommended shop to have the electronics swapped. I go to pick it up tonight and there are six chips in the paint. SIX!!!
    Needless to say I'm pissed.

In your opinion, what would it take for the shop to make it right?

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    No pics no chips. Seriously, It's hard to estimate damages blindly.

3. In my opinion, a repaint.

4. What kind of finish?

5. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    what kind of bass?

6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    wouldn't matter if it was a squier, that's just not acceptable

7. What kind of refinish is best for metal?

8. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Grosbeak, Yamaha, Fender, BSX. I’m Marc! Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    I say if its their fault, they should either touch up the spots they messed up or compensate you a little with some cash.

9. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    Here are a few pictures.

Attached Files:

10. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York

Attached Files:

11. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    There are more, I just didn't get pictures of them.

Attached Files:

12. Shaffon

Shaffon

Feb 24, 2013
    I'd be aggravated as well.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    This has happened to me. The difference is the 'repair dude' let me know upon arrival that my bass had been damaged. He proposed that he would touch-up the ding and only charge me for the parts...no charge for the labor. The situation sucked, but accidents happen.

In your case it seems like an "accident happened" six times(the tool slipped six times or they dropped a tool on your bass six times). Without pics it's hard to say but it sounds like either somebody was really careless or some freak accident happened.

Post some pics.

14. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    It's a Hohner B2AV. About $800. But I'm w Webtroll, I'd be pissed if it were an SX.

15. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    It almost looks like some metal sprayed when they were soldering and when they pulled it off it took the finish with it. I still can't figure out how the Hell he managed to chip the paint between the strings.

16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yea, that sucks. You should get ahold of the owner/manager of the shop right away.

17. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    And Lowphatbass, I'm w you, accidents happen. But the repair guy didn't mention it to me on the phone when he told me it was ready. And he didn't tell the owner of the shop either.

18. goinpostal

goinpostal

Feb 26, 2013
    Greer,SC
    Sounds to me like this highly recommended shop has a dumba** for a "tech". I'd ask for a factory refin at their expense and for a loaner bass in the meantime. Six chips is no accident.

19. ronin614

ronin614

May 15, 2008
    New York
    I spoke to the owner of the shop tonight. He's waiting to talk to the tech tomorrow before he decides what he's willing to do. I had a conversation w the girl who checked it in and she was looking it over because its such an unusual bass. She'd never seen one before. So she knows it was perfect when they got it. Hopefully she'll be honest about it. Hell, the plastic is even still on the pickups.

20. I's be vey upset. These guys are professional (they took your $$, right?) and there's no excuse for an instrument to come back in worse shape than when you dropped it off.

Good luck trying to work it out. They should be putting money in your pocket for that type of service.