1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

rickenbacker NBD^2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jacolyte, May 2, 2015.

1. jacolyte

jacolyte Banned

Oct 9, 2008
    boston area, usa
    today, my rickenbacker family doubled in size with the arrival of two brand new 4003s:

rsz_fam.

the new ones are the two in the center (as clever readers will already have surmised, due to the pickup and truss rod covers, as well as the stickers). it's the first time in 36 years of playing that i've ever gotten two instruments at once. although i live in boston, i got them from apple music in portland, oregon - the owner is retiring and they're blowing out inventory at irresistible prices. i wasn't in the market for any basses but, when i found out the prices, i couldn't say no. not only were the prices great, the staff (i spoke with a guy named frank) were friendly and helpful, and the basses arrived double boxed and in perfect condition.

both new instruments are stellar, with minor, easily addressed issues. the black one, for some reason, doesn't have notches for the strings in the bridge saddles and despite this, strangely, the A string is noticeably lower than the others. the instrument is playable and sounds fantastic, and the saddles can easily be notched (i'm lucky enough to live near jim mouradian, an amazing bass tech, super nice guy, and the guy who built the CS bass for chris squire).

the red one arrived with the action much too low for me, but a 1/3 turn of the allen screws on both sides of the bridge dialed it right in. the pickups are MUCH hotter than any of the other 3 (they're not closer to the strings; they're just LOUD!), and that's fine with me - no two of these basses are quite alike, and i like that about them.

i'm breaking them in by strapping on the headphones and playing along with some of my favorite yes, gentle giant, and rush songs. :cool:

long live rickenbacker! 8-D

2. Smoove-Groove

Smoove-Groove We've got bush, We've got bush!

Jun 18, 2013
    Ontario, Canada
    Very nice! Love the red one!

3. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    THAT is a beautiful line up right there!

Congrats!

4. I thought you meant 4003S, I was like but they all have binding.

MasonMinor likes this.
  5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Very nice, congrats!

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    A new bass arrives with an unfinished bridge? What other company get get away with this stuff? They are pretty though

7. I think you're seeing the reflection of the couch in the bridge making it appear to be unfinished..giving it a satin\matte look..

8. starmann

starmann Flats and Fingers Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    Congrats....So if you don't mind....

What were the GREAT prices?

9. jacolyte

jacolyte Banned

Oct 9, 2008
    boston area, usa
    i do have a 4003S on order through pick of the ricks in new jersey - delivery isn't expected until october at the earliest...

10. jacolyte

jacolyte Banned

Oct 9, 2008
    boston area, usa
    USD1499 each (with the cases)

Tbone76 likes this.
  11. starmann

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    WOW...nice price, Congrats:bassist:

12. starmann

Mar 26, 2011
    US
    What year are they?

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Wow Sweet Momma Lucien !!!!!! if that picture doesn't become your new avatar something is very wrong sir congrats on four beautiful basses.

holy-smokes_clink_large.

14. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    I think he's talking about the lack of notches. Which is odd.

15. Wilmingtonian

Wilmingtonian

Aug 20, 2011
    Ric purist alert: It'd ruby, not red, dammit. And black? Oh, geez, that's jetglo! Before anyone asks, that's not natural on the left, it's mapleglo. And the 'blue' one is midnight blue, for God's sake. Whew, I feel better now.

Good news, OP, I think you are only a fireglo away from every color in the current lineup. No, wait, not if you want to include walnut series. And if you want to "square" your collection again, well, that's really going to cost you now.

Congrats on the basses, they all look great. You can really see the difference in the fingerboard material when you compare the new ones to the MB. And I think the MG is the new fingerboard, too? They went from bubinga to Caribbean rosewood in later 2011, I believe.

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    No, I was referring to the bridge not having slots in it as stated by the OP. How can a bass leave a factory without the bridge being completed? He bought two basses, one had a completed bridge and one did not? Maybe I misunderstood.

17. I read it the same way you did.

18. ...but you are missing a FireGlo! ;)

Looks like a nice group. Enjoy!

John Swartz likes this.
  19. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    I bought my Ruby Ric from Apple last year. It sucks that they are gone...walking distance from my office. It was always great doing business with them.

Edit: congrats!!

20. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

YAY! YAY!

jacolyte likes this.