RIP Tim Drummond

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by rmars, Jan 11, 2015.

1. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Just heard from my cousin that his good friend, legendary bassist Tim Drummond passed away. I was never fortunate enough to meet Tim but he was from Canton, IL where I was born and my cousin Ken was kind enough to share a few funny stories about getting calls in the middle of the night from Tim, Bob Dylan and George Harrison (and if I recall Mick Jagger). Tim has an amazing resume; he's recorded and/or toured with Bob Dylan, Ry Cooder, Conway Twitty, Neil Young (toured and played on Harvest), Miles Davis, J.J. Cale, Lonnie Mack, Jewel, Crosby, Stills, & Nash and is noted for being the first white musician in James Brown's band. Whether or not you've heard Tim's name at some point you've probably heard him play; For people of my generation whenever you hear Jewel's original recording of "Who Will Save Your Soul" and you hear that little bass break down in the middle that's Tim. RIP.

Edit;
    Here is a photo taken by my cousin Ken Allaman when Tim was trying to get him into doing photography for album covers. He gave me permission to post it when I told him about this forum.
    10887623_620236431432436_3152402873658674691_o.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  2. Yvon

Yvon

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Sad news. Tim was awsome!

3. BassIsBoss

BassIsBoss

Jun 25, 2007
    Nova Scotia
    Great player....and a great photo. Thanks for posting.

4. enjoyed his work , RIP Tim

5. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Here's a great clip of Tim with James at the Apollo in '68. At 2:50 James starts calling for bass and he calls out Tim by name at 2:56. Great stuff.

6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    That's sad news I didn't know him but I know his work.

7. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I knew of his Neil Young connection, but, James Freakin' Brown! Good God was he bad.

8. RIP Tim. Thanks for your post - I look forward to checking out more of his work.

9. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I really appreciate bassists who say a lot while staying simple, it's an art that not many aspire to and fewer achieve. He was a great and his work speaks for himself. He'll be missed.

Listen to JB's Licking Stick for a fine example of his particular genius.

bobyoung53, JimK and rmars like this.
  10. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Didn't he play with Emmylou Harris too ? ( Hot Band )
    Strong player, with nice tone. RIP

JimK likes this.
  11. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Hey, am I remembering correctly that it's Tim on "I Feel Good"?

RIP to one of the guys that inspired me to learn electric bass, way back then.

12. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Sad news. One of the unsung heroes of the instrument. The fact that he played with so many artists that could hire any bass playerin the world is a testament to his ability.

rmars likes this.
  13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Sorry to hear this.
    Being a Neil Young fan since 1969, and gigging in a band that did a lot of Linda Ronstadt material in the late '70s I had a lot of appreciation for Drummond. Who else played with James Brown, Conway Twitty, Neil Young, Linda Ronstadt...

Had forgotten he was from Canton, I've lived all my 60 some years 50 miles east in Bloomington.

jte

14. Scarey Larry

Scarey Larry Supporting Member

Dern, lost another one. Did not know he was from Canton. I spent 15 years in central Illinois. I have friends living there that might have known Tim growing up. I like the picture. Thanx.

15. Neil has lost Ben, Rick and now Tim in recent times. Very sad. Anybody know what happened to Tim?

16. RIP Tim D true talent

17. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow, what a resume! I wasn't aware of the man until now, sad to say, but I've certainly heard and enjoyed his playing many times. RIP.

18. rmars

rmars

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    My cousin and Tim have been friends since they were young. He said they were working together on the line at International Harvester in Canton building corn planters and somebody came to get Tim to take a phone call. My cousin says it was unusual because in those days people didn't take calls often during a shift. Turned out Conway Twitty (or his people) was looking for Tim and tracked him down at work. That was apparently the beginning of his professional music career.

ExaltBass likes this.
  19. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for sad news about Tim. A great one! Tim mostly did "controlled basslines. Laying down a groove and solid foundation for the song! The way it is supposed to be done! Says something if J Brown choose him for his band!

Love his bass on Ry Cooder's, Bop 'Til Ya Drop.

If not for your thread, Tber rmars, most of us would have not known of his passing.

Thanks for your cousin's photo.

rmars likes this.
  20. egd3hr

egd3hr

Jun 23, 2009
    Quad Cities, IA
    Didn't Tim play on Harvest? And Harvest Moon by Neil.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021