1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. steelin4u

steelin4u Supporting Member

Lol Joe.

Back on topic: updated family pic with the new-to-me signature fretless 6. My quick cell phone picture does not do this beauty justice. Initial thoughts are that the Roscoe Barts do a very nice job with this fretless, and it will be an excellent counterpart to my JB single coil fretless 5. I want to spend some time playing with the string height; I think the C and G are so 'slammed' right now that the notes are choking out for me. 'Too low' on a fretless is a thing!

20210222_195555.jpg 20210222_194756.jpg

donahue, mwbonsall, armybass and 3 others like this.
  2. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Wow!
    What a collection Adam!
    That new 3006 fretless is the perfect center piece to your collection. And what a collection!:)

And yeah, it is such a fine line as to what is too low and too high on fretless string height. I'm certain that you can zero in to where the magic is though.

3. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I was actually impressed by the crowdsourced lyrics :D

Maybe one day, if I ever get my bass back, we should do a Roscoe club song- just a chord progression and everyone does their take on it. We could call it “two more weeks.” :laugh:

And now @steelin4u has another bass I can’t wait to check out, although I’m neither a good 6 string player or a good fretless player... maybe they’ll cancel out?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    The signature 6 is nice, but that fretless 5 next to it...now that's a beautiful bass. :cool:

Every time I see a nice "family pic" I think I need to do that but I don't have a good background for it. I'll have to keep looking. I only have "store" pics of them.

armybass, steelin4u and staccatogrowl like this.
  5. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    That’s a great idea! You know who not to invite, right? ;)

Okay Joe, show us pictures of Candy!! :drool:

armybass and steelin4u like this.
  6. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    What a crazy nice collection. If you ever decide to sale that Koa 5JJ hit me up. I would love to add that to my collection lol.

7. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Sounds like the same issue benchpress was having out of that bass.

8. steelin4u

I love the Roscoe Club Song idea. 2 More Weeks is definitely a 12-bar blues-kind of song. Let's start this up.

Also, I'm looking forward to the day where we can meet up and sample some Roscoe goodness. A little more than 2 weeks from now?

I don't have a ton of experience setting up fretlesses (the JB was basically flawless when I got it, for example), but I will be tinkering with it and trying to replicate measurements from the JB onto the Signature, for starters.

I love Packard's (and other's) photo skills, but I'm just using a 7-year-old Home Depot Mohawk area rug in my basement. Meh. I bet you could do better than that! Also, thank you again for selling that JB back in the day. I don't say that to jab at your heartstrings, but rather as a sincere offer of thanks for serendipitously getting me much, much more into fretless. :thumbsup:

I know you've been hunting for a JJ, but mine is definitely not mint anymore...dings by the input jack and bottom. Gigging with the 7-piece country band did that to mine...bunch of jokers. :roflmao:

Yes, 100%, Ray. He mentioned that when I was buying it, and I felt like I could take the chance and dial it in. It's not awful, but it could improve.

Fred312b and Bassworship1 like this.
  9. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Great collection. I'm intrigued by the cocobolo PJ?! Is that a standard plus CEntury?

steelin4u likes this.
  10. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    Adam that is an amazing family you have there. The fretless six is what I’m wanting to have Keith build. Please tell me what that fingerboard is. Is it a Custom or a Signature?

11. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Not a jab. That was/is an amazing bass. Foolish to sell, but it gave me an excuse to have Keith build me another one, which I again foolishly sold. But, fate steps in and I get that one back - with some nice mods that make it a little unique as the "JB" placed pickups are usually jazz pups (which sound awesome) and now I have soaps with toggles that give some nice options. I will not make the mistake of selling this fretless regardless of how much/little it gets used. When I want/need that sound, I have it in spades.

steelin4u and Fred312b like this.
  12. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    IME - half-a-turn on the saddle screws at a time to sneak up on it.

steelin4u, Nightman and Fred312b like this.
  13. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Any of my Roscoe Brethren interested in a like new Set of Roscoe Quad Coils out of my 2020 Buckeye Roscoe. I will sale them shipped for $185.

14. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Could be a sign of it needing a Plek (or finger board leveling).
    Worse case though would be the aluminum lines coming up.
    That cost me a new finger board. Hopefully that’s not the issue.

ArtechnikA likes this.
  15. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    You might want to hold onto those for a while.:)

mwbonsall and steelin4u like this.
  16. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    Man for a full band mix the Nordie DC's are it for me. Especially with the VTC tone control to roll off some highs if needed. The extra clarity and punch really makes a difference and just works for me.

lo-freq likes this.
  17. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Good to hear Shane.
    Time will certainly tell.;)

18. Im very interested. Any idea on the dimensions of the shell? Wonder if these would fit a MK route.

19. Bassworship1

Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    They will fit any regular P2 pickup route

20. steelin4u

It is a Century Signature 6, and the fretboard is the birdseye maple diamondwood (birch and resin composite, IIRC), and the birdseye color diamondwood is unobtainable. The factory burned down years ago, and Keith only has limited black diamondwood left.

That is indeed a Century standard plus PJ. Cocobolo top, ash body, maple neck, wenge board, Delano custom P pickup, Aguilar J pickup, Bart 3-band with push pull mids, push pull active/passive and full-time tone knob, AND...a drop A tuner on the B string. Just right for me!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    armybass and nonohmic like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021