Roscoe Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Joe BassPlayer, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Skip Chucker

Skip Chucker

Dec 9, 2018
    Kalamazoo
    It's your $$! We're just living the pipe dream that you'd let us spend it for you! :D

Joe BassPlayer and Bassworship1 like this.
  2. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I actually wanted to see some high quality Birdseye as I thought that would look good but he was out high grade at the time. Couldn’t find any that was sufficient. Thought between the Ebony and Wenge also but the Wenge won over.

Joe BassPlayer and Skip Chucker like this.
  3. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I'm looking for some quad coils for a 6 string. I know a few of you fellas had some for sale relatively recently. I may have missed the boat on them but I thought I would ask anyway? PM if you have some.

Spoiler: They would be for a non-Roscoe that I want to sound more Roscoe-ish.

Joe BassPlayer likes this.
  4. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Give Keith a call. In the past he’s always had a used set on hand that I could buy at a decent price.

donahue and staccatogrowl like this.
  5. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    The last couple days I’ve been trying out different strings on my Roscoe Custom PJ.
    Fritz (@staccatogrowl ) sent me a box of Various strings and since I also had several other types (that had been on a Roscoe at one time or another) I thought I’d compare how the different strings changed the sound of my PJ. They strings vary from traditional flats to modern flats, tapewound, Pressurewounds, and nickel and SS RW’s
    Actually none of them sounded bad but they sure change the sound of my bass and really inspire you to play differently. It really makes me realize how a player can justify having multiple basses of the same brand and model, if they loaded them with different strings.
    If anyone’s interested, when I’m done playing around with them, I’ll pay it forward and send some of the strings to another Roscoehead to check out. They’ll fit any other 35 scale 3/2 head Roscoe bass.

6. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
  7. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Spill the details! What ones are you liking best?

staccatogrowl and Joe BassPlayer like this.
  8. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Hard to say Chris. They all cop really nice but different sounds.
    I'm thinking of reinstalling my favorites, recording a short sound clip and letting you guys decide.:)

Nightman, scubaduba and staccatogrowl like this.
  9. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    It was a upcharge for this top. My Buckeye and this one is both pretty thick.

10. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    And it's now mine! Thanks for passing this one on, Shane.
    After a string change (I've never bonded with nickels) and a setup, I'm really happy with the sound and feel of the bass. The sound is surprisingly close to my Sadowsky NYC J5, but I suppose that makes sense due to the similarities of the preamp.

This is a great bass and a keeper for sure. And ... I learned from reading the Authentication Letter that it was built on my birthday! It was obviously meant to be.

11. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    That Bass played as good as any I’ve owned. I liked the Aguilar pickups but didn’t love them. Glad your liking it man. Enjoy that beauty.

12. gregbackstrom

gregbackstrom Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Tacoma, Washington
    Thanks! I didn't like the Aguilars with the nickel strings, but they're much better sounding with the light gauge D'Addario pro-steels that I like to use.

Fred312b likes this.
  13. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Which set stood out the most to your ears?

staccatogrowl likes this.
  14. Bassworship1

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    You can see how thick the top is and also the thick Wenge racing stripe he used.

9E164268-F424-413C-A5D8-50FE0750B12F.png CB358CBF-421B-4B4D-9F81-C58FB62F2A47.png

15. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Great grab Greg!
    That is an awesome looking Roscoe!
    And trust me, everyone that frequents Talkbass knows that just because Shane sells a bass that doesn’t mean that there’s anything wrong with it!:D
    Of course that goes for most of us long time TB’ers!:roflmao:

16. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well Ray, believe it or not (@SteveC will like this) the OEM Roscoe D’addario XL’s are my favorite overall. But I do love several of the others. They all bring something special out of a Roscoe.

Nightman, staccatogrowl and SteveC like this.
  17. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

I tried others but am back to the D’Addario’s and my Roscoe’s sound like Roscoe’s again.

staccatogrowl and Joe BassPlayer like this.
  18. Nightman

Nightman If it ain't low, it's got to go! Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Chromes sound pretty amazing on a Roscoe. IMHO

Joe BassPlayer likes this.
  19. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Yes they do Ray. As a matter of fact those are the ones that stayed on my Custom PJ.

Nightman likes this.
  20. Joe BassPlayer

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia

Speaking of Candy ..... She’s hanging out with me in my easy chair right now!

DD89D10B-3B77-437B-BEE7-BDB6A37FF7AF.jpeg F5F6E774-8B7F-4DDA-A73F-0BC490A255E8.jpeg

Last edited: May 8, 2021
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021