1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Series-Parallel-Off Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thobie, Jun 24, 2014.

1. thobie

thobie

Sep 4, 2011
    I have a Squier VM Jazz bass, and I am looking to add some tonal versatility by adding a series-parallel switch. However, I also want to have a killswitch to be able to mute the bass quickly without messing with the volume settings on the knobs. Could I install a 3 way switch that could switch between series-parallel-off?

2. xkomo

xkomo

Feb 6, 2011
    Greece
    Hey, I was wondering the same thing... If the whole procedure worths it...

3. You will need a rotary toggle switch with at least three poles.

4. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Along with the 3 position Rotary switch make sure the "Off" position shorts the output and not just leaving it open as it will be a big "hum antenna" if you do.

5. That's what the third pole is needed for.

6. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    3rd pole is to short the output to ground for Off. If you just open up the output it will be like holding your instrument cable up in the air (not plugged in to the guitar but still to the amp) and will pick up hum and amplify it. Note: Amps input jacks short the signal input to ground when nothing is plugged in to keep it quiet.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    Yes ... just wire it like a series/parallel/single but instead of single make it dead. The easy way would be 2 switches.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  8. thobie

thobie

Sep 4, 2011
    Could anyone make a 3 way switch wiring diagram?

9. 14499073351_5bfb5f8b06_o.