Show me your compact pedalboard setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by garmenteros, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Tuner, Broughton HPF, JHS Compressor, Boss LS2, JHS Morning Glory, MXR Bass Octave, Source Audio Aftershock, Ampeg Liquifier, Dr Green Delay and Ashdown Preamp.

It is a special version (they made a blue one, a white one and the red one). Actually, I got it red because it was cheaper than the rest (for some reason).
    There are several amp models which I think sound great, like the Ampeg SVT4 or the Mesa 400+. However, none of them sounds as good as the Ashdown. I could live just with the HX and leave the JHS and the Ashdown at home, but comparing them with the sounds of the HX, I think both sounds a little bit better.

BrentSimons, chupacerveza and dabis like this.
  2. Jephmo

Jephmo

May 7, 2019
    Boston
    First practice since before the holidays so of course that means time for a new board. Wanted to keep it simple, good all around tone with a bit of grit. We'll see how it goes......... 1610656234052794468699516030410.jpg

3. MTN.bass72

MTN.bass72 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Blue Ridge, Ga
    One of the new JHS in the wild! How's it sound?

BrentSimons and Jephmo like this.
  4. Jephmo

Jephmo

May 7, 2019
    Boston
    Sounds pretty good so far, still trying to dial it in but it does play nice with the compressor. It has plenty of options and you can't beat the price. :)

BrentSimons and MTN.bass72 like this.
  5. Mike neph

Mike neph

Mar 24, 2016
    michigan
    My board, finally complete.

hi5t5ig10mb61.jpg

6. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    That is a handsome board. I think I need to re-try the Vintage Microtubes at some point.

MTN.bass72 and BrentSimons like this.
  7. Mike neph

Mike neph

Mar 24, 2016
    michigan
    I’m using it as a clean low blend for the gemini and an always on pedal when the gemini is off, it adds some extended lows with the clean sound being blended into itself.

instrumentalist, jebmd and JackMinion like this.
  8. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    It’s a pity those were discontinued, One of those is on my list for that very reason.

9. halech54

halech54

Jul 15, 2015
    Richmond VA,
    Here's my Temple Solo 18; new compact board day:
    Signal chain: Polytune Mini > Cali76 Compact Bass > 3leaf Octabvre > Shotmaker Heroine Deluxe > Benson Preamp > Shiftline Olympic (with Walrus Slö in the effects loop) D02C041F-8B4C-48F4-8E5E-0F152839798E.JPG

10. ghorvers

ghorvers

Dec 22, 2005
    My pedalboard went from a Nano to a Classic Junior during lockdown.

Pedalboard 2021.jpeg

11. Pedalboard.jpg
    The most recent iteration of my small pedalboard. The latest addition is a Behringer DR600 Digital Reverb. It's mostly for experimental purposes these days, since the way it looks now we probably won't be gigging until this summer at the earliest. I'll be trying to find a setting that works for me, since like all my other pedals it'll always be on. BTW that piece of memory foam is the mute I use for my P-Bass. I jam it under the bridge cover and it does a good job of muting.

12. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    I posted this on the tidy thread. Figured I would post here as well. I am very happy with this setup, especially doing some solo jamming.

IMG_20210114_222219.jpg

13. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    What are your thoughts on the Vong? Did you build it yourself?

Also curious your experience with the Blackstone.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  14. +1

15. NerdyOcean

NerdyOcean Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2020
    North Carolina
    Yeah I built the Vong. I cannot recommend them enough. Julian was super helpful, super quick to respond, and super nice. Was a little over a hundred bucks shipped. It got to my house in about a week. The instructions on the Vong site made it way too easy. It took me about two hours and I was done. Worked fine first try. There are dip switches inside to set the footswitch. I just have it set to engage the boost. This gives me a nice boost at the end of my chain. The filters work great and the DI is very quiet. I honestly don't know how these aren't more popular on this forum. Good value and it does so much.

I love the Blackstone. It is a little bit of a hassle at first, but once dialed in it is super nice. It has a more neutral channel (brown channel) and a higher gain/less bassy channel (red channel). I am using the brown channel as an always on sound. I love it for this. It is a very sensitive OD. It reacts to bass volume big time. I was using the red channel sparingly as a higher gain sound, but it was lacking some. It really shines now though as I opened it up and played around with the socketed capacitors. It has two capacitors, one for presence and one for bass cut on the red channel. I played with the presence cap but found that I like the stock value. I removed the bass cut capacitor for the red channel. This just gave me another brown channel to set with higher gain. Now I love it even more. I have the internal jumper set for buffered input so it plays well with my active basses.

TL;DR
    Vong is easy to build cheap and great
    Blackstone OD is super touch sensitive and I love it

16. Wretched Banana

Wretched Banana

Mar 7, 2020
    MA, US
    Easy to build after 10 years of soldering experience, or?

17. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Where can one purchase a Vong and in the US?

18. Das Jugghead likes this.
  19. dabis

dabis

Mar 27, 2016
    Barcelona
    Only two hours??? It took me 3!!! what's your trick?
    fcf0032a-393b-4607-b0e2-eb2b61eddc0f.jpg

Completely recommended pedal.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021