So I quit my job at Mesa/Boogie... really.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Yes, friends, hell hath frozen over. I quit my job at Mesa. This has got to be one of the hardest decisions I've ever made, and I'm still feeling a little conflicted about it. I received another job offer (I wasn't even looking; it just happened), which will pay me 30% more, with 25% less hours, and 100% less commute. Many, many factors went into this decision, and I've agonized over this for two weeks, almost non-stop. I've been losing sleep, which is not good considering I wake up at 4:45AM to get to work every day.

The fact is, my life has been changing alot in the past two years, and I feel that I'm not ready to put 100% of my energy into Boogie. It's like those near death experiences people have; they die, go to heaven, and Jesus tells them it's not their time. There's too many things that I have to do as a human being before I can settle myself into Boogie, and I have to do those things now while I'm young or else I'll never do them. I thought I could handle all this while employed at Mesa, but the truth is I can't. This new job will afford me the time and money to do what I must, and will also put me back into doing what I do best: help people with their music.

I wasn't doing what I wanted to do at Boogie, either. I interviewed for a Divisional Sales Manager position; I was given a job on the factory floor. True, they were putting me there with a notion of teaching me the ropes for the possible position of one in customer service, but when pressed they didnt' know when or if that was going to happen. I've wanted to be at Boogie for so long, and I've been interviewed now 4 times over the last 7 years - which is a pretty big deal considering that the average guy has been there close to 10 years. But after being turned down 4 times for some reason or another, I'm feeling a little slighted, especially considering that what I'm doing there is fairly mindless.

So, yeah, I quit what I thought would be my dream gig. I think that I will go back someday, once I get comfortable with my life. All those guys were so cool with me, I feel like I'm letting them down, but I've got to do what a boy's got to do.

Hold me, brothers. I weep. :bawl:
  2. *Holds Ben*

There, there, it will all be okay....
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congratulations? I think.
  4. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Gotta do what you gotta do. The job at Boogie has been a learning experience i'm sure. I don't really know what to say-just be glad you're following your heart and have the opportunity to.

Take it easy and be glad you're doing what you feel is right.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey brother...just sit back, pop open a beer and light up an ass pipe. Life is good.

brad cook
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    So what's your new job, man?! Lay it on us! Are you the new dancer for the Village People or what?

brad cook
  7. Sometimes life throws you curveballs, sometimes life throws you curveballs that nail you in the groin.

Who knows, maybe you'll be happier with your new job? Sounds like it wont be as stressful at least.
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You did what wa right for you. Mesa will somehow overcome the loss, and all will be well. :) You gave appropriate notice and quit in a proffesional way I'm sure, so I think you can feel OK about the whole thing.
  9. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You seem awfully fixated on balls.

brad cook
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ben for what it's worth, I know how you feel. I landed what I thought was going to be my dream job once, working for the Aussie importer/distributor of Music Man among other things. I'm as big a MM nut as you are with Boogie.

I only lasted 3 months. without going into specifics, lets just say it wasn't anything like I thought it would be. Even still, it's tough decision to make and I also lost a lot of sleep over it.

12 months later and I'm convinced I made the right decision.

What's the new job?

11. .....????

More time to kill should be a good thing, eh?
  12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Thanks for all the love, guys. I'm feeling pretty down about this whole thing.

The new gig is a music store half a block from my house. I will walk out of my house at 10:59:30AM, and be at work by 11AM. I will save over $3000 a year on gas and tolls alone by not commuting, and I will be gaining 18 hours a week to focus on other things. I can walk home to eat on my lunch breaks, and I will have plenty of time for recording and gigs, which are starting to pick up pretty heavy with the new band. I will be selling my car, so I don't have to worry about getting parking tickets anymore, and may put the car money towards a new Warr.

I'm going to try to keep my relationship good with Boogie, but I feel that my quitting this early in the game may affect how I'm viewed there, consciously or not. Perhaps if I get famous enough I can get on their artist roster...
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    No you did the right thing by them. If you cant make working there a priority because it eats into your other activities, then you will go to work and do a half-assed job, they are better off without you working if you arn't enjoying the work.

Also, commuting that long to work will make you tired etc, which means you quality may drop. All things considered, you are doing them a favour getting out early when you realise its not right for you vs staying for a while and they "waste" the money on training etc.

If they are smart they will realise that you did both you and Mesa Boogie a favour by getting out early if your heart's not in it 100% at the momement.
  14. Wow... that's a neat job, man. Congratulations.
  15. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Seems like a no brainer to me :smug: Just because you worked so hard to get somewhere, doesnt' mean that it is your best option.
  16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Gotta go where the green is.
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I don't know you that well, or I would've PM'd you when you first took the Mesa job. I lasted about 6 weeks at Fender, and it broke me up leaving at the time. The circumstances were very similar to yours, although I probably had a little more interesting job. I had no time for an actual life, and I hated driving 3+ hours a day, just commuting.

I hooked up with my wife almost as soon as I quit, and now know that I made the right move. Factory work requires a certain mindset, which isn't one I want to have at this point in my life. I'm sure you will flourish in your new gig, and be a happier, more creative guy for it.

best of luck,

----------------Charlie Escher
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well ben, now you have that much more time to commit to Final Fantasy V
  19. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Ditto on what the other guys said. I commute about 1 1/2 hours a day and I am constantly thinking about that time being wasted when I could do so many other things with it. If I could make more money, walk across the street to work and be working at something I enjoy I would jump on it. Good Luck!