1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Boomerang III Phrase Sampler Thread

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wdinc01, Apr 19, 2009.

1. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Believe it or not, the Boomerang III is actually in its final production stages! Or at least, that's what I gather. The company's website has information about the new looper, as well as pictures of what the pedal looks like.

From the Boomerang III page...
    The company's front page states that they'll be selling preproduction models this month. Has anyone gotten one yet?

Here's a link to the website, which features more pictures of the pedal: http://www.boomerangmusic.com/Rang%20III.html

Discuss!

2. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Hasn't this been coming out in the next few months for about two years? I was following for awhile, but lost interest. With the delays upon delays, there is no way I'd buy a pre-production unit. When it does come out in final form, I'm sure it will be killer.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Original Boomerangs are fantastic to use live. I hope the interface will remain as intuitive with all these new functions.
    It looks like they made it much smaller, which is good news.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    Yeah... these sentences from their website say it all

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    I had the proto for a few weeks and it was wonderful. I have one on the way. It will most likely need some software updates over the next month or so (done via midi - not a big deal). I should have mine sometime this week... I'll let you know

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    UPS came today - oh yeah! It'slaytime

Mike

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    looking forward to some reviews Mike! I like what you do with the one you had at the GTG I met you at... I've been 1/2 waiting for the III before I jump into a looper.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    There is a lot more to it. I had the proto for a while so I knew what to expect - but I think I'll actually need to read the manual with this one

One of my youtube vids I use the proto on. The most stunning difference is the sound quality - add to it all the new features and you really have something

Mike

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Wouldn't mind seeing this one. It seems to be the only new high-end looper that has come out in a while.

The only disappointing thing is that other than the serial looping capabilities, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot that's new compared to the last gen of pedal loopers. Still, it'll be nice to see :)

10. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I am in the market for a looper and have been seriously considering the Electro harmonix 2880. I had an RC20XL at one point. I liked it but need something more versatile. How does this compare?

11. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Digging this thread up because this arrived at my door yesterday.

Horrible Cell Phone Shot.
    [​IMG]

Background: I've owned the entire boss line (rc-2, rc-20xl, rc-50) and spent a bunch of time with the digitech jamman. I've not used any of the previous Boomerang products.

Music:
    I'm a hack, with looping dreams. I've never been able to fully manage a looper AND play to "get it together" and go live. I would love to just bomb into an open mic show with a bass, a looper, and some fuzz pedals... but that has never happened. I'm always fighting the looper not working the way my mind wants it to. I have sworn I will slowly move through all looping products until I hit one that is easy to get me to the 'instinctive' level of using it.

Boom III Background:
    They are still selling it as 'pre-production', but the hardware is finalized and they are "working" on the software. Reading some reviews and understanding what it was capable of at this point I decided to jump in after selling my rc-2.

Day 1: Boomerang III arrived (as did an old wah I had out for repair). I parked down with a guitar and decided to see what I could figure out without reading the manual. Played for a bit, broke a string, stopped and read the manual, swapped to bass, looked up and it was three hours later.

Initial Impressions:
    Nice layout and nice size. The 'bonus' buttons are easy to use and quickly swap assignments AND still be able to tell what they are set to with little more than a glance. Recording and swapping loops is easy, though will require a little more timing skill than the boss (no quantize-like feature). Only one of the three modes is currently active: 'serial' with 'sync' & 'free play' to be added via software updates.

Serial mode seems to contain most of what I want from a looper. There are two distinct ways to use it.

The basic situation allows you to record loops, stack, undo etc... when you click on the button for one of the other loops it will move to that loop when the current loop ends. If there is nothing currently recorded there, it will start recording.

If you have no loops recorded and start with Loop 3, it will act as a master (and the others as slave). You can record a little something-something in the master loop, and it will continue to play as you move between the other loops. You can still stack on that master loop if you would like. Slave loops can be recorded in multiples of the master loop. So for example if the Master loop is 5 seconds long, slave loops can be recorded as 5, 10, 15 seconds.

I am already more skilled using this looper after one day than I have been with any other.

Additionally it was better sounding than my recently departed RC-2 as well.

I've not attempted to remap any buttons, or use any of the advanced button functions other than (stack, undo, erase, and once), nor have I added an expression pedal for volume. I will continue to update as I play/learn.

I understand it's the honeymoon, but man... the first night was GREAT.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Banned

Dec 11, 1999
    Great. I've been using the pre-procution model for some time and I am really digging it. Being able to set Loop 3 as a master is genius. I have been using Boomwhackers to create rhythm loops to play over.

Mike

13. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I'm not familiar with Boomwhackers and how they would be applied in this situation.

14. I don't know that he uses a Rang, but he surely uses Boomwhackers.

I'm more of a Darsombra kind of guy, but Keller can really work a loop.

15. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Does anyone know how close they are to shipping the production model?

LeonD

16. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Production hardware IS shipping. Production software is not.

17. CDT

CDT

May 29, 2005
    triad, nc
    a week ago I sent an email wanting to order a pre-production unit and haven't heard back.

18. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    You won't until it's ready. It was about three weeks for me.

19. jeffee47

jeffee47

Oct 19, 2009
    I had the same experience. They did get back with me after a couple of weeks (I think) and got me setup with full instructions on ordering a unit. It was hard because I was so excited to get one. I used a cashier's check and the total turn around time for the check to leave my house and have the Rang III was surprisingly fast.

I will say, it was worth the wait, and the pedal is the best looper I've used. My main loopers before it were the Digitech Jamman and the Boss RC-50. The Rang III is the easiest to use and I love the master mode (using loop 3 first as a basic rhythm). The loop boundaries are smooth and it is small, but still, easy to operate.

HTH

20. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I had a Boomerang + but wanted to have the ability to play multiple loops both in and our of sync. So I sold the + and got a RC-50.

The RC-50 can do what I want but I find the complexity of the unit often limits me. The Boomerang III with all it's capabilities looks perfect.

The only thing holding me back is their past history. The Sync and Free styles could be delivered in the next three months or the next three years.

LeonD