The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    The pickup on my Mini is only 6.4k IIRC but it's the loudest bass I own.
    P pickups usually measure in at 10-11k.
    Don't know about MM but the humbucker in my Bronco is around 12k in series.

I'd play with pickup height before replacing the pickup if I liked the overall sound.

DavesnothereCA and RodRy like this.
  2. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Yes, a person could adjust the height.

Also, if you are otherwise satisfied with the tone of the sound, and there is no hum or noise, then just crank the volume of your amp, before going shopping [spoken like a true skinflint :laugh: ].

OTOH, if you absolutely are experiencing GAS, and you reckon that a pickup [rather than a whole instrument] will fend off the attack :smug: , then every one of the recognized pickup makers [EMG, SD, DiMarzio, etc] have worthwhile solutions which will physically fit.
    ~

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    pcake and RodRy like this.
  3. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Massamachusetts
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    Oh man, P pickups are like pizza--so many good ones, just depends on what flavor you like. I've had many, but I always liked the Aguilar Hot P and DiMarzio Model P, and in my mini I have an older Duncan SPB-1 that sounds terrific. But you'll get a ton of suggestions.

4. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

A couple of mm error for a CNC produced item? THAT is is absurd. 2mm in the neck pocket would be unplayable. The machines are repeatedly accurate to likely 0.01mm or better. It has nothing to do with the end cost of the product. It is possible that mounting the bridge is done by hand for some reason with a template.

Kubicki Fan, pcake and DavesnothereCA like this.
  5. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Well, I'd probably work with the pickup height first, as others here have suggested.

After that I'd probably consider Epic Custom (Epic Custom Shop) or Bill Lawrence Wilde P46 pups. I've got an Epic Custom PJ set in my Tune Bass Maniac, and have been considering the P46 pickups for my short scale.
    :D

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  6. I'm really Happy with the Nordstrand Power Blade pickup that I installed in my mini P...Mucho output! :cool:

jNqz7be.jpg

DavesnothereCA, BassmanM and RodRy like this.
  7. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I would also be sure to change the strings before worrying about pickups. It might make a huge difference. The stock strings are really poor.

Nice pickguards, guys!

8. Krizz

Krizz

May 26, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    As others said, maybe try raising the pick ups first, and changing strings. I was OK with the tone of the stock pups, but my girlfriend kept bugging me about what I wanted for my birthday, so I told her a GZR set from EMG. I have them in my JBS, and I really like them with flats. No problems fitting them in the mini P, and they sound just as I had expected, great!

DavesnothereCA, RodRy and TK4261 like this.
  9. Lowendchamp

Lowendchamp

Jun 27, 2021
    Shelton WA
    I upgraded mine with a '52 pickup and a hi mass bridge. It was almost as much as the bass itself in parts alone but totally worth it!

RodRy, TK4261 and honeydorick like this.
  10. Thanks guys,I think ill stay with the stock pups for now I want the mini P to look like a mini p.not a music man.I think the main problem is me LOL.Cant make up my mind. Thanks for all the great suggestions.ill keep em all in mind.

11. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Plus, that bass looks super sweet!
    :drool::drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

wait for it...

:drool:

12. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    "Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most !"

That's not MY saying, but I get a fair bit of mileage from it. :D
    ~

RodRy, honeydorick and TK4261 like this.
  13. andare

andare

Oct 4, 2016
    Krakow
    These problems tend to go away when you have rehearsals, gigs, recording sessions etc.

As a musician without the above I'm a victim of bedroom tone, endless tinkering and forum prowling. Luckily my spending spree didn't last long but I feel you.

RodRy and DavesnothereCA like this.
  14. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Lot I can relate to right there.
    :meh:

15. pistonrod8

pistonrod8

Apr 5, 2018
    I had this crazy idea right after I finished the sunburst on my Mini to draw an aluminum pickguard and have it made. Then, I wanted to get it gold anodized. It's been a long time, but I am finally at the experimentation phase and things are looking real good. I've had the aluminum done for a while and just needed to get all the anodizing materials. Progress so far: 20210724_153708.jpg
    20210724_180021.jpg

It's in the sealing bath now...I'll get completed pics later. Stay tuned.

16. pistonrod8

pistonrod8

Apr 5, 2018
    This is my first attempt:

The color is exactly what I was looking for. There are some areas with uneven color. I think I know why it happened (I had some trouble getting everything setup up correctly while anodizing).

Overall, I'm happy with this attempt. I have four other "scrap" plates to test on before I do it for real.

20210724_192211.jpg

17. pistonrod8

pistonrod8

Apr 5, 2018
    This is my first attempt:

The color is exactly what I was looking for. There are some areas with uneven color. I think I know why it happened (I had some trouble getting everything setup up correctly while anodizing).

Overall, I'm happy with this attempt. I have four other "scrap" plates to test on before I do it for real.

View attachment 4345095

andare, blackspider57 and RodRy like this.
  18. Frank Vozak

Frank Vozak Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Oak Park, IL
    No commercial affiliation
    Lookin beautiful

19. Frank Vozak

Frank Vozak Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2020
    Oak Park, IL
    No commercial affiliation
    What is amazing about the mini is that you can afford to spend as much in new parts as the bass was new an still have an amazing bass without going broke

20. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    I'd say "maybe" to the Talman TMB30 short scale model, as I have a USA Gibson SG bass with a similar neck, and the neck width seems not too bad.

The Talman offset body might be a plus as well.

The weight will matter to me too.

Is anyone who owns one willing to weigh theirs, and post the reading ?

Their price point is low enough that Sweetwater does not weigh and post the number.
    ~

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021 at 6:53 AM
    RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021