The Squier Mini Precision Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sabre79, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Hi Bassmatic, Im moding my brand new Squire Mini P,But right now I can see your bridge is to far back.With a square pressed flat against the lower body edge and against the upper surface to the back of the bridge mine (stock bridge) measures exactly 15/16ths of an inch.Right from the factory thats what I have and my intonation is perfect.I think you got one with the brige holes drilled wrong.Howerver,Im changing my bridge to a heavyer high mass style in black.Just For looks.Im not a luthier but ive had real good experiences with my mods,following the internet.Good Luck I hope this helps.By the way,All Parts in Texas is a great source for parts. Rick

2. GrahamNN3

GrahamNN3

Apr 11, 2018
    C9218E25-23A1-4FA2-94A9-5E8565DED1E1.jpeg

RodRy and Volker Kirstein like this.
  3. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    So better late than never. I received permission and uploaded the video of our Canada Day virtual performance to our YouTube channel. For those who still care, here it is :)

4. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    First, before I comment upon your question, let's hear it [again ?] for that wild pickguard ! :woot: :thumbsup:

Now regarding the bridge, there are up to several possible ways to address your issue :

1) Move the bridge 1/2" to 3/4" North, and readjust the intonation South,

2) Alternate strings may help, if they are heavier than what you have now, and if what you have now are the original gauges of 40-60-75-95 or similar. - If you are using roundwounds, Volker's set comes to mind, of 45 to 105, or possibly heavier yet, provided that they do not feel too odd to your fingers when you play them,

AND, this next idea is the easiest and least demanding in effort, expertise, and money....

3) Loosen the G string, remove the intonation bolt and take it to a good old-fashioned hardware store, and have them sell you a couple more of the same thread, but a bit longer, since you have some bottom plate left on the bridge assembly, and install them for the G and the D strings.
    ~

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    RodRy likes this.
  5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It would be interesting if we could get precise measurements - of say the top corner of bridge to nut - for this bass, and basses where intonation was not a problem.

It would be horrifying to me to hear that the bridge holes were not done with a template and/or precise measurement. I don't care how low end a bass is.

RodRy and DavesnothereCA like this.
  6. GrahamNN3

GrahamNN3

Apr 11, 2018
    My two minis have the bridge in a slightly different place (about 2mm difference).

RodRy, DavesnothereCA and SBassman like this.
  7. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    That's only a flesh wound ! :smug:
    ~

RodRy and GrahamNN3 like this.
  8. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    That's disturbing. There's no excuse for that - even with a $180 instrument. Ugh.

GrahamNN3 likes this.
  9. GrahamNN3

GrahamNN3

Apr 11, 2018
    Yes it’s very poor - I also had another Mini that I sent back with a problem with the pickups.

10. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    If it was a Centimetre or more, as seems to be the case on Bassamatic's Mini, I'd be worried.

Still, with today's automated manufacturing processes, one would expect a lot closer tolerances on dimensions.
    ~

honeydorick likes this.
  11. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    In today's world, for something like bridge placement, I'd call a foul if it was any more than 1 mil. 1000 dollar bass or 200 hundred dollar bass.

Most things can be fixed, but fret placement and bridge placement have to be near perfect out of the factory. Regardless of price point.

andare, honeydorick and GrahamNN3 like this.
  12. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

Hmm. My intonation is good, but my saddles, too, are almost at full extension.
    IMG_20210710_165714.jpg

13. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Great pic. I will do the same with my 2 later.

14. Hi guys,For Bassmatics issue,I was just providing an example measurement done with a square. 15/16s of an inch about 24MM body end to back of the bridge of my new mini right from the factory with no issues or changes by me, other than changing strings to D'Adderio ECB815S's short scale chrome flatts,100.80.65.45's.The saddle lengths and intonation are perfect.This was just a reffrence point of what it should be from the factory.Unless there is another issue.Again I'm not a luthier.My E string is slightly past the threaded portion on the post,but its ok.The original E string was the same way right from the factory.The rest of the strings are normal with the threaded area still on the posts.

Attached Files:

15. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug Supporting Member

15/16 is ~24mm. Mine shows ~20mm. Graham says 2mm difference in his two.

Either we're all measuring slightly differently, or we're seeing wild variance. We've already documented 4mm of slop, and 4mm is the difference between a Jazz and a P at the nut.

16. Wow! you got me bro.Good luck.

RodRy likes this.
  17. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Thanks for all the comments.
    My Measurements -
    Top of bridge plate to inside of nut - 28-1/8"
    Bottom of bridge plate to bottom of bass - 3/4"

The cool pickguard is from the amazing earlpilanz on eBay - he makes fantastic pickguards for the less popular basses and ships from UK.

18. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    If they ever make a run of Mini-P's where their necks are cut 4mm too wide at the nut, someone be sure and tell me, as I'd likely buy a couple ! :D

But back to the issue at hand, this apparent variance [which has been reported among a handful of us] is worrisome.

And I say this without a horse in the race, though some of you will recall that early this year, when I was posting about the thought of transplanting another neck onto a Mini-P body, a centimetre of variance [in the frame of reference of the original bridge placement] could make or break whether doing so might be possible/practical.

We might also wish to examine whether the bridges of these Mini-P basses are accurately positioned in the OTHER plane, so as to centre the strings correctly over the fretboard.

It might be harder to measure, though easy enough to see when looking at pics the instruments.

Hmmmm....
    ~

RodRy likes this.
  19. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    When you said 'Top of bridge plate', you mean the edge nearest the neck, correct ?

And 'Bottom' is the same measurement which Volker's pic shows ?

3/4" is about 19mm.

So we have reports of 19mm, 20mm, and 24mm measured there, if I've been following things properly.
    ~

RodRy likes this.
  20. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Just eyeballing the pic, the bridge of your black Mini-P seems noticeably closer to the South edge of the body than that of your red one.
    ~

RodRy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021