1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Same answer for the Mets winning another World Series as getting a lefty VP, NR, etc. "Next year, next year."

RedVee, MCF, GonePlaid and 3 others like this.
  2. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    As far as instruments go, I guess a lot of it is your personal level of tolerance (or intolerance) with your set up or potential damage to your bass.

When I was outdoor gigging and traveling overnight to gigs I had specific instruments I'd use. Typically not thick gloss finishes (which are prone to stress cracking under extreme temperature swings) and typically lower cost or easier to replace instruments. I saved the nicer stuff for indoor or studio out and back same day trips.

A bass transported in your air conditioned or heated car should be just fine. However, one left in a parked car in 100 degree heat at 90+ percent humidity for hours, then played at an indoor air conditioned gig, then left in the same car parked over night in 65 degree weather is gonna need some attention if you expect to have super low action.

Super cold ultra dry weather can be just as much of an issue on some basses. I've personally seen some serious finish cracking on thick gloss finishes when the bass was left in a sub freezing car overnight then brought into a nicely heated barn for a winter afternoon event.

as always, YMMV.

MCF, Miles_ONeal, GonePlaid and 4 others like this.
  3. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    I am referring to instruments, amps, PA gear, etc. all traveling in trailers without environmental controls. There is simply no time for getting to the venue and waiting for your gear to 'acclimate'.

I'm talking about slabs of wood and metal here. If we were talking about thin walled, acoustic instruments, I'd concede the point... however, we're not.

MCF, Miles_ONeal, Gaolee and 3 others like this.
  4. Thunderbird-like bass sighting.

Gaolee, GonePlaid, PillO and 2 others like this.
  5. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Only if you want to - as long as the slots do not pinch the strings it's purely cosmetic. After all the talk here about nut's, I went though a number of my basses checking for their correct slot height and ended up lowering the slots on a few of them. A few were already spot-on, and getting the others in-line wasn't that difficult. I did a few at a time, and will continue until they have all been checked. The adjustments weren't major and so not dramatically different feeling - just correct now.

fasterpussycat, MCF, Engle and 6 others like this.
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I'll stick with my comments in post #127222. No where was I referencing roof trusses, wheel bearings, PA gear, amps or specifically acoustic instruments. And no where did I mention anything about waiting for gear to acclimate. Those are all your thoughts and topics and you can deal with them as you wish.:cool:

My comment stands on its own...
    :thumbsup:You do bring up an excellent point however - if you have to wait much beyond load in and set up to do tuning and sound check you probably have the wrong instrument. If you're spending time on truss adjustments and resetting your action, you're wasting time and might need a different instrument or a string action setting that's more forgiving in those situations.

:roflmao:Or we could all do what the Pros do and hire a roadie and instrument tech to do all that stuff for us ahead of time so all we have to do is walk on stage and pick up the already plugged in, sound checked, tuned bass from the rack. And if we're really important, we can even stand on stage between songs while a hunched over guitar tech hurriedly scampers across the stage to strap a plugged in dropped tuned bass on us just in time to start the next song. LOL - we should all be that lucky.

RedVee, MCF, Engle and 8 others like this.
  7. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    "Do you understand me... OMAHA?" :laugh: (where I was born!) SPECTORBIRD!

MCF, GonePlaid, Gaolee and 4 others like this.
  8. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    it's a 78 Gretsch Committee Bass that's gone through a lot of changes...
    this is what it looked like new..
    upload_2019-9-11_9-16-37.

dieselman, RedVee, Nocturnal and 7 others like this.
  9. Pffffttt! Lifelong Yankees fan and I own nothing but Thunderbird basses. Jets, Mets and Nets are for 7ender people.

MCF, Miles_ONeal, GonePlaid and 2 others like this.
  10. Only to cover up the yellow...

MCF, Miles_ONeal, Gaolee and 3 others like this.
  11. Hmmmm. I think I no longer have a desire for more gear. I just want a roadie. RAS - Roadie Acquisition Syndrome.*

*Probably an ahem in there somewhere. And if not, one should at least be assumed.

RedVee, MCF, Engle and 7 others like this.
  12. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    yeah...when do you get time to practice?...:laugh:

Engle, Miles_ONeal, GonePlaid and 3 others like this.
  13. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    That helps.

Unfortunately all my basses (except my VP) and all my tools are upstairs and I can't make that trek up there with my mangled foot right now. But I can reference a previous post about some setup work I did on one of my TBirds a few years ago. It's about the lowest action I've been able to get on any of my birds and it's held up in varying temp and humidity settings for several years now. It's seen playing time in temps as low as 60 degrees and into the high 90's with humidity ranging from 20% to about 70% and has never needed anything more than tuning adjustments.

Sorry I don't have a Nikki Sixx to compare it to but it should at least give you an idea of what can potentially be done as far as stable low action goes...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    RedVee, MCF, Dr_Feelgoood212 and 4 others like this.
  14. Hmmmm.

dieselman, RedVee, MCF and 9 others like this.
  15. [​IMG]

BTW, going to see my beloved Giants play the Lions on 10/27. I'll be easily visible between the uprights wearing my NYG gear!

dieselman, RedVee, MCF and 9 others like this.
  16. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    I'm able to maintain stupid low action on both my Birds.
    The recent past heat and humidity weren't all that terrible to the basses this year.
    Two of the four needed a slight adjustment.

RedVee, MCF, Miles_ONeal and 6 others like this.
  17. Left-hand (drive) Thunderbird!

RedVee, MCF, Dr_Feelgoood212 and 4 others like this.
  18. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    No, you didn't ;)

But I wasn't speaking about you in this case :) I was referring to folks, in general, obsessing over a 1/64" difference in string height and not being able to play their instrument because of said difference. And about folks, in general, obsessing over acclimating their instruments before playing.

Not poking at anyone in this thread or any person specifically, in fact. Just my musings about the concept and my experience of going decades of playing all over and never having experienced what those folks are so worried about :thumbsup:

Inky13, Engle, PillO and 5 others like this.
  19. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    IMG_3037.JPG
    Mets content while meeting the THUNDERBIRD posting standard, one in a million!:roflmao:

PillO, Gaolee, GonePlaid and 3 others like this.
  20. Oh! Lookie-lookie!!!

[​IMG]

I guess the Franklin Mint makes a lot of these. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: