1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Impostor!

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

It could be worse. You could be a Mariners fan.

Inky13, dieselman, PillO and 5 others like this.
  3. Chucky Stiletti

Chucky Stiletti Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    what does the "J" stand for? somehow i thought NS2s were neckthrough..

PillO, GBassNorth and GonePlaid like this.
  4. Gaolee

I mostly just play. If it needs adjustment, eventually somebody gets around to it. Maybe. So long as it's in tune and the intonation is good, then the prehistoric man his happy.

RedVee, Engle, PillO and 4 others like this.
  5. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    better?....:D..
    upload_2019-9-11_10-11-27.

RedVee, PillO, Miles_ONeal and 7 others like this.
  6. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    No offense taken.
    And I agree, if you have to obsess over the frailness of your bass in normal working conditions then you probably have the wrong bass for the job (or you better have some robust backups).

Basses with a thin matte finish or oiled finish were my favorite outdoor extreme temp instruments. After seeing my buddies gorgeous Spector thick gloss finish crack all over like glass I realized not every tool can be used for every job. having the right tool makes all the difference in the world. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use my Goth or VP in any indoor or outdoor live setting. But with the thick gloss on my Anniversary Bird there's no way I'd take it anywhere in sub freezing weather. Fortunately I have plenty of basses to choose from.

RedVee, Engle, PillO and 5 others like this.
  7. Gaolee

Nope. It's not a Thunderbird.

RedVee, PillO, Miles_ONeal and 5 others like this.
  8. Since you mention roadies... I was finally able to see Iron Maiden for the first time this year and I noticed that at no point did anyone on stage stomp a pedal, nor were there any pedals on the stage to be stomped now that I think about it. I assume that when one gets to Iron Maiden-level metal ability you 'have a guy for that', probably a roadie/instrument tech.

Pretty frickin' cool show, too.

Thank you for your pictures, they will be a good guideline. Good luck with the foot.

PillO, Miles_ONeal, JJR58 and 4 others like this.
  9. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Really short scale?:smug:

PillO, Miles_ONeal, JJR58 and 4 others like this.
  10. Here's another oddity. Sighting of both Guild and Gibson Thunderbirds in same video.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Slight typo on my part, it should be this...
    Spector NS2 SE signature.JPG
    IIRC...
    NS = Ned Steinbrenner body design
    2 = number of pickups
    J = type of pickups
    SE = special edition
    #10 = tenth bass made out of a 14 bass run
    Woodstock, NY = location of manufacture
    The Woodstock series is upscale to the European built basses, which are upscale to the Asia built basses.
    Woodstock basses come in two price points - bolt on and the more expensive neck through.
    Plays wonderfully but hasn't seen much strap time since the THUNDERBIRDS entered the picture.

Larry V, RedVee, PillO and 5 others like this.
  12. Chucky Stiletti

Jun 8, 2017
    Santa Cruz, CA
    always wanted one...that body style is pretty rad and plays very comfortably:thumbsup:

13. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I saw Wilco a few years ago - they are essentially a guitar band, sometimes as many as 3 guitars and a bass played on some songs. At the end of a number of songs, a separate tech for each guitarist would appear and hand each guitarist a different guitar and grab the one just played. We're talking Nascar pitstop fast - so pro. As would be expected from a bass-player, he used the same bass the whole show!

14. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    I learned to play on an acoustic 6 string with no truss rod that spent several years in a Georgia (S) attic. Once it spent some time stringless against a wall, and was converted from steel to nylon strings, it was ~3/4-7/8" high at the 12th fret. This may be why I prefer the action be as low as possible, but it's also why I can play high actions (though I dislike them).
    Fortunately THUNDERBIRDS are perfectly happy with low action.

15. When I saw Living Colour in 1989, Doug Wimbish did a bass switch by tossing them back and forth across the stage with his roadie.

16. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    It wouldn't bother me if my Epi IV finish cracked, but if I had a vintage, custom, or fancy, expensive bass with a nice finish, I would definitely not be subjecting it to major local climate change.

Larry V, RedVee, JJR58 and 4 others like this.
  17. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    I gotta wonder: how many people in the audience could discern any difference(sonically)between guitars. Not talking how each 'feels' to the player. Only the sounds the crowd hears. And at "normal" R&R show volumes, can anyone hear a difference?

18. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Some people want to use their stuff, others....

[​IMG]

upload_2019-9-11_14-18-29.

upload_2019-9-11_14-20-53.

Larry V, RedVee, JJR58 and 4 others like this.
  19. Miles_ONeal

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    In another thread, @Green Knight said, "One bass to rule them all, one bass to grind them, one bass to rock them all and in the pocket bind them."
    THUNDERBIRD!

Larry V, RedVee, Green Knight and 4 others like this.
  20. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    It's a fairly small body, so it can look a bit odd on big and tall players but fits my 6 foot frame perfectly sitting or standing. Note that the Bolt on NS basses have a flatter less rounded body, almost a cross between a Spector and a Fodera. The Euro LX models are neck through and have the fully rounded NS2 type body, they are a real bargain on the used market. Here's my Euro 4 LX...

Spector Euro 4LX full front.JPG

Larry V, dieselman, RedVee and 6 others like this.