1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats up with kids today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Mar 10, 2013.

1. The point was to try and show that adults have always seen the youth of the day as being disrespectful little turds who get everything on a plate.

Things going full circle and all that.

2. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

Yes, I was in the upper 1% with my scores but personal responsibility was the norm and not the exception.

Agreed. Which is why I have often described myself on TalkBass as the curmudgeon with a conundrum ;) But the degradation of personal responsibility is still true and society is lessened as a result.

edit: I grew up in the 50's and 60's when the values of the 30's and 40's were still respected.

3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I am the negative exception!

4. Growing up, the elements that were totally devoid of personal responsibility spawned children with the same attitudes (certainly a case where an authority should have just stepped in and removed the kids from those situations).

I'd still say the vast majority take personal responsibility as a pretty important thing, being the norm, not the exception.

There'll always be changes in attitude with time, bringing positives and negatives, and let's be honest, many of the 30's and 40's attitudes are better being stuck in the past!

Didn't want to point fingers :p

5. etoncrow

Agreed. Racism and bigotry come to mind in the US. But do we not still have racism, bigotry and genocide in the world?

I am talking about work ethic and personal responsibility. I do hope you are right in your assessment. My observations have been negative.

6. Sure we do, but such things aren't seen as a norm nor as socially acceptable in our societies which is certainly a step in the right direction.

At least in terms of work ethic, I hold more qualifications and have to work longer hours than my parents, yet I'll be lucky if I am able to get a mortage before I'm 35 (not that my parents aren't/weren't hard workers, just I need to do more to get close to similar gain). Shiny luxuries keep getting cheaper and cheaper but the necessities of life grow more and more expensive. I'll also have to work for a greater proportion of my life and the pension prospects are nowhere near as rich. Though that's starting to go a bit too tangential.

I dare say it's a bit harder to start attempting to quantify personal responsibility, though there are certainly very few people who I grew up with who have terribly irresponsible approaches to life.

7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    See what I mean? Self-righteousness is kind of annoying to read, especially since there's always at least one person who exhibits those characteristics in almost every thread. *yawn*

If my kid was an idiot who had taunted random people or violated their space/property and had gotten a nice shiner as a result, I'd tell him he deserved it.

Maybe it'd make him realize that you shouldn't act that way. Being a decent person shouldn't be so hard. A-holes will always continue to act the way they do unless/until there are consequences for their actions. If you can't/don't want to accept this as being reality, then by all means, keep wearing that blindfold... and telling yourself that you're more elevated than others in the process.

8. I wouldn't say ending up with a shiner and a "good beating" are the same thing...

My issue is with the people getting a bit carried away with their vengeance fetishes.

9. etoncrow

I cannot speak to the attitudes within your society, I know that the US is falling back into becoming a welfare state where personal responsibility has no meaning. Soccer kids get trophies not for winning but for just showing up, welfare people get free cell phones and corporal punishment is something found on black and white TV.

edit: I am not an advocate of child abuse so don't go there. I got my share of spankings and I earned every one. I saw kids act up and get spanked in public and everyone saw what happened and knew the kid earned it. Now days you would get arrested. The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction. That is why that kid said, "Make me!". He had a phone number given to him by a teacher that would get the adult arrested for laying a hand on him even though he had earned it. The key word is "earned" and that takes us back to personal responsibility.

10. etoncrow

Mohawk, correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember you are studying engineering. I am a mechanical engineer so I know how hard that road is. Please do not take my assessments personally.

11. bloobass

bloobass

Jul 10, 2012
    Louisville, KY

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    What is up with kids today? Eating cold pizza as if its part of a daily balanced breakfast or something... :rollno:

13. etoncrow

If it were not for cold pizza and warm beer I would have missed many a breakfast! :hyper:

14. Depending on where you look there are publications over here which push the welfare state concept, though the reality is that it's a small minority who take the **** out of the system.

I agree that the "everyone's a winner" approach is bad, beyond school, it certainly doesn't work that way!

Not anti-spanking, which I wouldn't say really comes under child abuse. IME the kids with the "Make me!" attitudes have parents who held the same attitudes, whose parents held the same attitudes etc. etc. (at least that certainly seemed to be the case in my hometown).

In an engineering school but physics/biophysics. It's also becoming pretty common across the board that salaries are stagnant while costs keep rising (though granted, much of that is exacerbated by current financial turmoil).

15. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It's all that damn rap music!

Anyway, I was harsh in calling the OP a sissy earlier. I'm conflicted as a parent between seeing a few punks get a lesson in respect and watching someone's kid get a beating for something so minor. I'm all for avoiding conflict at every possible turn and this is one of those situations that makes it very difficult, unless you happen to look like a roid raging MMA fighter. In this situation, trouble found the OP when he wasn't looking for it so he did what he thought was right.

The calling the cop friend thing rubbed me the wrong way because all to often, heavy handed use of someone's law enforcement "connection" can be abused, but the situation ended peacefully so that's what's really important

16. etoncrow

We can agree to disagree. Each of our perspectives are based upon our personal observations and experience; therefore, we are both correct. The Hopi Indians believed that reality was like the rim of a wagon wheel and truth was the hub. You could be 180 degrees out from your neighbors perspective on that rim but the truth was the same truth nonetheless.

edit: Incidentally, I had a step-son who had that "Make me" attitude. He did not get it at home; he got it at school. He ended up in the Federal Pen.

17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Inactive

Aug 15, 2010
    You're either avoiding my point or have the amazing skill to not "get" it.

Bullies only understand physical violence. It's the only thing they understand. A bully can be as simple as somebody sitting on your car and saying "make me" in response to asking him nicely to move.

This is but a recent example of what I'm talking about...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/box...racking-down-his-twitter-bully-024738024.html

Some idiot trolls a boxer on Twitter and when the boxer shows up at the troll's door, all of a sudden, the troll apologizes.

It's impossible to reason with a-holes/bullies because they only know one language ; intimidation. You can't argue the contrary, plain & simple. So you can spare me the self-righteousness of your earlier posts and face reality. Yes, I agree it sucks, but I am (unfortunately) right.

18. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Oh they are in their own way; laissez-faire parenting. They learned from experience and mistakes; if they never dealt with it, they know nothing about it. I bet they've read one book between them in the past 20 years.

People still ask how I ended up "normal" when my sister has two kids from two different dads (one is in jail), lives in a basic shack on the bad side of town, learned to drive when she was 25, and works menial part time jobs while also using any public assistance afforded.

19. I can dig that. Certainly those types seemed to pick it up from home when I was growing up.

No avoiding or "not getting" your point at all. My issue is the extent to which people seemed happy to go. Someone being an asshat or bully doesn't in any way give you free reign to do what you want to them.

I wouldn't put all bullies in a single bracket either, while standing up to them can sort it out, I've seen just as many bullies getting a kick out of people responding to them, wanting to drag someone to their level. Not to mention thier habits of using groups of friends as backup.

Please keep your fetishes to yourself.

20. Should of just got in your car and started to back out or drive off...