1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats up with kids today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Mar 10, 2013.

1. I think that's the difference these days. When I was a teenager, if I'd have acted with such disrespect towards an adult, and he'd given be a "smack" (within reason), my parents would have sided with him.

Disrespecting adults was a cardinal sin when I grew up - it was something I never did; it was ingrained into me from a young age. My parent often had parties with work friends, and often my parent's bosses, and I would never have dreamed of treating any adult disrespectfully, no matter where I was.

Perhaps michael_atw has a point; maybe "Generation X" parents aren't so good at teaching their kids respect for elders. Obviously I'm not damning a whole generation of parents, but it seem there's a lot of kids today who have no respect for their elders. It's hard to say - perhaps we have a somewhat distorted view of our youth?

Even so, if I'd refused to get off someone's car when I was a teenager, I probably would have been dragged off by my hair, or my ear. If the police had been called, they'd have given me a right kick up the arse as well, and then taken me home to face my parents, where I would've copped it as well. That's the truth.

2. Big B.

Big B.

Dec 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Kids are just people trying to figure out how to get by in the world we created for them. Some do well, some not so much. Just like the rest of us "adults".

Frankly I meet more crappy adults than kids these days. Maybe that's the problem.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    That's probably what I would have said, but I know that I probably couldn't have taken the risk of actually getting in my car, starting it up and then god forbid one of the punks claims that they got injured if I started to drive away.

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    I think this is the crux of the arguement, if we did something like this when we were kids, and the driver was to get in and drive off, with us falling off and getting hurt. When we had to explain our injuries to our parents and how we got them we would have got a look of disbeleif and maybe a swat upside the head with a "what the hell were you thinkin" admonishment, with a "serves you right" thrown in. Now days, it would be the driver getting that admonishment. :rollno:

5. And people tell me society is irrelevant.
    [​IMG]

6. Yeah, that's true. I know whose side my parents would have taken in that situation. I probably would've been forced to apologize to the guy personally and mow his lawn for a few months as well.

7. "Holier-than-though", "polite gentle approach".

If that's what you guys think of people who think it isn't ok to give children a "good beating" or pull a gun on smart ass kids. I think you need to reevaluate your moral standings.

So you guys are telling me that you'd be perfectly fine if you found out that your child had been a smart ass and that the victim of their asshattery beat them in a car park or pulled a gun, that'd be just fine and dandy?

8. Yup I guess we should boil them alive like we did to witches...

9. well you seem to be perfectly fine with cherry picking the extreme cases of what was said instead of the majority of what was said.

10. Because those points shouldn't even come into mind when dealing with a smart ass kid!

11. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

I will be 64 tomorrow. I grew up in the southern coalfields of West Virginia. I do not know anyone, kid or otherwise, who would sit on an unknown person's car...ever. And anything that might have happened to them for doing so would not have been a surprise. People respected other people's property and whatever the consequences of retribution they were deserved.

The people two houses down had a big dog that took to defecating in my parents yard. My Dad spoke to the owner about it. A few days later Dad is mowing the yard and hit a pile with the lawn mower. He got a shovel, filled it, took it to the offending canine's residence, opened the door and deposited it on the entry way floor. It never happened again.

People had more respect for each other and if they did not the offended party made sure that the next time they did have respect. The police had nothing to do with it. It was called "personal responsibility"; which is something we seem to have lost.

12. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I think people are generally inclined to forget the iniquities of their own youths when they lament the "apparent" falling standards of conduct today.

I ask you, of those of you complaining about how kids today are so irreverent, how many of you spent your high-school years high and drunk? Running around to KISS concerts against your parent's most fervent pleas?

Yeah. Most of the people I went to HS with were dedicated slackers and devout stoners.

Things have not changed that much in the past 20 years.

13. Pretty much this, rose tinted glasses and all that.

14. etoncrow

To personally answer your question, I played music almost every week-end from my freshman year on. If you drove drunk on mountainous roads in southern West Virginia you did not live long. I made 1280 on my SAT's as a junior. I was not an exception.

15. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Adults create the world that children live in. Any problem with children stems directly from the decisions that adults have made.

16. etoncrow

And the most influencial of those adults are lawyers and social workers

17. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Don't see why that should end this thread. This thread is not about that. The rest of us aren't discussing "what was up with kids in ancient times?". Come on man, try to stay relevant.

18. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    At least we've moved up from ancient times to 20 years ago. Looks like some may be on the right path and possibly will catch up to "today's kids".

19. etoncrow

Perhaps my youth has been delegated to "ancient times"

20. Though I'm sure you would have been on the upper end of grades scored surely? Either that or a higher than average scoring school for other reasons? I'm not really familiar with the system, but looking at the SAT means (listed from '72, but persumably there wasn't any major changes between the mid-60s and early-70s), things don't seem to have changed much, language scores have dropped a bit and math scores have increased a bit, combined mean is down slightly.

The older we get the more we take the negative exceptions in societies as the standard.