1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats up with kids today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MadMan118, Mar 10, 2013.

1. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    No harm in trying. When I was growing up (late 70's - mid 80's) you had a healthy respect (if not fear) of your elders.

Kids today could use some "my old man is gonna beat my a$$ over this!" Honestly, I'd tell the kids once to get off my car. Then I'd grab one of them and remove him. No kid is going to pull that on me and get away with it.

2. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Right, because the polite gentle approach works so well.:rollno: This is what "time out" and other new age faux parenting crap creates. Dr. Spock's son committed suicide. Just saying.

3. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This should have ended the thread. One can find many examples in ANCIENT texts of people complaining about the "youth of today."

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This.

Some people are just asshats, whether they're young or old. Some people are asshats when they're young and then finally grow up and become decent citizens of the human race. Some never do and remain asshats for the rest of their lives. Except instead of sitting on people's cars, they're the people who treat waitstaff at restaurants like dirt and flame people in YouTube comments sections.

5. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    No one is cuddled by the law.

Two stories:

My grandfather told me about how in the past (this was New Year's and I asked him about his old New Year's days) you could drive drunk down the road, plow into a ditch, and not get in trouble. Your neighbors would help you get home and pull you out. Now, my grandpa's quote, "they (your neighbors) call the cops on you!"

Not saying that's a bad thing, just creating the dichotomy between "the days of yore" and today.

Second, I was thinking listening to a Beach Boys song about drag racing. If people drag-raced today they'd get misdemeanors, if not something worse. Probably suspended license, $500 fine, etc.

50 years ago, the cops would have stopped it but they would have just slapped them in the head and sent them home.

That being said, what's wrong with the youth today..you ask?

Their parents. Gen X overwhelmingly sucked at teaching Gen. Y anything.

Sorry. Being 26, I can tell you my parents taught me next to nothing. I learned how to eat healthy food, hygiene, how to dress, how to talk, pretty much everything on my own.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I know it's wrong that I did, but I totally LOLed when I read that. :D

7. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Wrong lesson. Try again.

8. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    street racing is alive and well in america, its just done in more discreet locations instead of main street. That being said, I in no way whatsoever endorse this type of thing. There are plenty of dragstrips available for "run whatcha brung" drags. Unfortunatly not as many racetracks exist today as when I was a youth. Still, if your gonna race, go to a track and race under supervised and safe conditions, thats right, Im talkin to you kids.

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    C'mon, part of the TB experience is engaging in pseudo-sociology (while ironically ignorning real sociology and totally ignoring what Durkheim and Giddens said about structure and agency when people's answer to someone being unhappy with their job is "you don't have to work there") and making sweeping generations about cohorts of people and how society is on a fast track lapsarian road to H-E-Double Hockey Sticks due to the kids of today not bending over and kissing everyone's ass who is more than three months their elder, while Eric Perry advocates a heart for an eye and a brain for a tooth sense of justice over somebody committing a major social wrong like not telling a bathroom attendant that they're out of toilet paper after using the last swatch.

Amirite or amirite? :D

10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    You forgot the part about how young people should solve their emotional problems by banging everyone in sight. :D

11. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hence why Maki would never do well with a Dear Abbey column. Almost every response would be the same: "Bang everyone, and quantity over quality." He'd run out of stuff to talk about. :D

12. The more I observe smug morons in my society, the less I find any solution involving "talking it out" in any realm of feasible effect.

13. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Kids these days with their sittin' and their cussin' and their lookin' and their sittin'...

14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I do believe people have been asking "What's with kids today??" for about as long as the words to do so have existed.

15. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    Kids in my day were taller, too, and the summer's were hotter... Much hotter than these ones that these educated-types are getting all flustered over. And that reminds me, when is James coming to fix the air conditioner? I would ask the handy man, you see, but he's rather busy, you see, and it would be nice to see James. Perhaps he could bring that lovely friend of his... Rachel? Yes, Rachel. She's a lovely girl, isn't she. Anyway, where was I... That's right, we were playing on the monkey bars down at the park one summer. It was very hot, you see, because the summers were hotter then, you see. Would you like a drink? It's hot in here, I'm sorry, James needs to come and fix my air conditioner. And anyway, we noticed that we could all reach the monkey bars. Easy. This was 1923 and Michael was.. But nowadays, the kids, they can't seem to reach the monkey bars. It's the parents, you see, and the drugs. Yes, the drugs. Stumps their growth.

16. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    It all works itself out , nothing a little booze and fornication wont cure. :D

17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. “Give me five bees for a quarter,” you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

My daughters, age 24 and 25, would tell a completely different story.

I'm sorry for the shortcomings of your parents in that regard. Hopefully they were very helpful and supportive in other ways.

19. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I bet every parent thinks that they are doing / did a good job raising their kids.

"when I get old enough to have children, I'm not going to raise them like like my parents raised me........ I'm gonna be a "cool" parent".

20. Spock's grandson committed suicide. He had schizophrenia.