1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wooten does it again

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by spark_chaser, Nov 20, 2008.

1. tfmbass

tfmbass

Dec 13, 2006
    Orlando,Fl
    After all this talk about this DVD I had to go out and buy it, so I stopped over at Bass Central and bought it.

I got through to the part where Vic talks about the chromatic scale and spending time on the "wrong" notes. I went into my practice space and worked on what he was talking about. It was great help.

I am anxious to see what else he talks about in later chapters.

+1 to BassSlave about Belin and Jaco. They dont shine when it comes to attitude, but they are artists. All artist are a little different..even Victor Wooten.

To each their own.
    Who cares about Zans trolling. Lets move on and discuss this DVD.:bassist:

2. jacohead

jacohead

Aug 6, 2006
    does he show any exercises with just finger style playing ( no slap or pop)

3. BassSlave

BassSlave

Mar 2, 2006
    Chicago via Park Forest IL
    Endorsing artist: Sadowsky Basses & Dean Markley Strings
    The video does not focus on any one technique. Finger style and slap is not a style of playing, they are techniques used and the video does not emphasize any particular way. He says you can thumb or finger the examples and there are a couple of the students in the workshop who do not use the thumb. Lots of people hear the name Victor Wooten and immediately think chops and thumb and double thumb but in the video he states that he likes to play "regular" bass and wished he would get calls for people who are looking for a regular bass player instead of a soloist and technique master.

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I just added the video to my amazon wishlist.

I think Zanz is a guerilla marketing agent for Hudosn Music :D

5. I've watched most of the first CD over the last couple of days. I have to say that I don't know how those who watched it in one sitting kept their heads from exploding! There is so much content here that I expect I will be digesting it for years, If Zanz actually did watch it, I don't know how he could say there's nothing here to practice. My fingers are already sore!

This is essentially a seminar on all of the concepts from "The Music Lesson". It has Victor and Anthony Wellington working with a group of (very advanced) students. He really puts these students on the spot! :eek: The production quality is the best of any instructional video I've ever seen. The audio is great which is very cool because Victor plays a solo piece between each section.

I miss some of the silliness of the book. It might be better to read "The Music Lesson" before watching the video because the video cuts to the chase and will probably spoil some of the magic in the book if you were to read it later. However, reading the book isn't necessary to enjoy the video.

I can't speak for anyone else (especially not Zanz), but I'm really glad Wooten made this video!!! "I've got a lot to learn!" :bassist:

6. tfmbass

tfmbass

Dec 13, 2006
    Orlando,Fl
    I finally made it through the whole video. Like CindyB said, I dont know how you can get through that video in one sitting with out your head exploding.
    Anthony Wellington's rhythm work out was pretty cool. There is a ton of ways to practice that.
    Production wise, it is one of the best I have seen. The video is clear, the audio is really clear.
    This will be a video I watch for a long time to come.

7. spark_chaser

spark_chaser

Nov 15, 2008
    Sanford, FL
    I watched it the first time in one sitting purely for the fact I couldn't turn it off....I was a zombie the next day at work but it was worth it... I have since watched it 3 more times but not in one sitting...lol

8. ac11367

ac11367

Apr 26, 2007
    Flushing, NY
    ...because when listening skill becomes developed, that's when one can apply the other elements of music in an "appropriate" and "correct" manner. One cannot practice space, dynamics, tone, etc. You just do it when the music calls for them. To know when the music is calling for them? You gotta listen.

9. BassSlave

BassSlave

Mar 2, 2006
    Chicago via Park Forest IL
    Endorsing artist: Sadowsky Basses & Dean Markley Strings
    I am already a master in the use of space and silence and will use some here........

10. Ummmm... exactly which video did you watch? :confused:

11. I would think he would curb his personality a tad during seminars, or he wouldn't be holding many more of them.

I purchased this video Saturday, and have only watched the first 1/2 hr, and so far it's been very informative. Victor falls into the teaching role very well. Once I'm through viewing it, will I be a great bassists; I doubt it. Will I walk away with a diffrent view and approach to my playing becuase of the video, to some extent yes. I never start a video with the mind set that it will change me or my technique. Example; at the end of this video, I doubt I'll be a Wooten clone. I approach these and all instructional material with an open mind, and what can I walk away with at the end that will help make me a better bassist.

12. And this has what to do with a thread about Victor Wooten's new video??? Why don't you start a new thread about Berlin and his clinics instead of hijacking this one.

Cindy

13. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    i'm starting to think that nutzmozio is zanz's alter-ego.

14. Bzzzzt! Sorry dude, no emotion here, just a request for common netiquette. You want to defend/promote/talk about Berlin? Fine. Start a thread for it. I may join it. Unlike you, I've actually met the man. You want to bag on the Wooten video? Fine, this is the place to do it. Lay down some specifics and we'll talk about it. You watched the video and didn't understand it? Fine. Ask questions - or better yet lay back and listen. You might learn something. You are a prime example of "Berlin's comment that there are a lot of people on Talkbass who are pretty emotional in their comments and beliefs."

Cindy

15. tfmbass

tfmbass

Dec 13, 2006
    Orlando,Fl
    Ok. Now this thread sucks.
    Anyone feel like saving this thread or shall we start a new one?

16. Trolls. God love em, they really take the fun out of a thread. I suppose that's the whole idea. :rollno:

I'm into the second DVD and watched the sections on phrasing and space last night. My feeling is that space is the essence of a groove. I wish I could convey this concept to our guitarists.

I also really liked Victor's suggestion to sing what you want to play and then play what you sing. Joe (the student with the 8-string in the back row on the video) makes it look pretty easy. I tried it and it's a LOT harder than it sounds.

17. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow

18. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  19. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    stay gone. two accounts so you can argue with yourself on the internet? pathetic. :scowl:

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Ya think? I thought this post was a dead giveaway...

Why would Nutzmozio sign his post as Zanz?
    :D

Pretty lame as far as trolling goes. Then again, it's the holiday season.

Anyway, it was interesting watching people try to explain a concept that was clearly over the questioner's head. My suggestion would be that he continue to do things his way and if he wanted to revisit it after he had some playing under his belt, cool. If not, cool.

You can't make people learn... they have to want to.
    :cool: