1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yamaha Club Part II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    The siblings, often seen together.

Attached Files:

2. Redrama

Redrama

Apr 19, 2013
    I've been looking for a versatile 5 stringer for a while and I've read great things about the TRBX 305. But I can't get my hands on so I would like to get some of your opinions on the bass. Yes Thomann has a 30 day return police but I would like to know more about it beforehand.

On a sidenote, has Yamaha ever made any product with an actual name and not just random letters and numbers?

3. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    The Billy Sheehan model comes to mind.

4. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Aug 3, 2012
    Yes.Pacifica,Attitude,Motif,Tyros etc etc

5. MechaniCrash

MechaniCrash

Apr 18, 2015
    Chicago
    Hey... Can I get in on this club? Mine is an oddly complete1967 SB-1C. Number please...
    image.
    image.
    image.
    image.
    image.
    image.
    image.

6. tanglewoodrules

tanglewoodrules

Aug 1, 2012
    you'll be looking at the Yamaha BB 1024X in vintage white then... it's exactly the same as Nathan's main session bass... you can also get the same or even more aggressive tones from a BB2024X... but they are astronomically expensive compared to Yamaha's other models! if you're strapped for cash, however, the 424X will have equivalent if not only slightly less clear tones. where Yamaha's 1000 series uses both their ageing and strain relief processes (aka the IRA and ARE processes) to alter the tone of the bass, the 400 series just has the ARE (Acoustic Resonanance Enhancement) treatment and it's done to the body only. the quatersawn maple/mahogany neck is awesome without it anyways, so it's not a necessary cost over the usual £289 price of the 424. it would probably bump the price above £400 and put it in the ranks of the 1000 series if they did that since ARE uses a lot of time and energy and has less of an effect with the neck than it does with the body, so it's not done on lower models... it is, however done on the Attitude Limited 3. Billy Sheehan's main bass.

7. tanglewoodrules

tanglewoodrules

Aug 1, 2012
    that is one beautiful SB man... if you want to complete your collection... get on Jauce and Ishibashi and look for:

Yamaha SB-2a (byw... at the time of this, there's one for sale on ishi)
    Yamaha SB-5a (rare find... seen one on ishi a while ago that sold fast)
    Yamaha SBV-500 (seen plenty on JAUCE)
    Yamaha SBV-550 (again.. Jauce!)

get these and some wall hangers, snap a shot and you'll have a really big achievement there... 5 rare or hard to find basses in one shot on the same wall... and the image would be rarer than the catalog the SB series is from!

8. distortion81

distortion81

Oct 24, 2014
    this is my ticket to the club

20151229_204520%202.

9. nonfatmatt

nonfatmatt Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Long Beach California
    Hey, I have an Attitude Standard that was made sometime in the 90s. It has an EMG P/J set in it, was wondering if this was standard with the bass.

Heck, I also own a BB-415 so I guess add me to the club?

10. TitaniumRx

TitaniumRx

Aug 3, 2012
    I have one,and no,the factory pups is not EMG.

11. azmati

azmati

Nov 20, 2006
    Fredericksburg, VA
  12. kaoskater08

kaoskater08

Apr 1, 2011

That is a very good question. I have a BB-605 and have had it for almost 10 years now...still plays beautifully and one of my favorite basses. My first bass teacher sold his 605 and keeps telling me he regrets doing so.

Link to my post:
    Yamaha Club Part II

azmati likes this.
  13. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    upload_2016-3-30_15-30-39.

In the front my new BaBy, a brand new BB415 that has been asleep for six years in his factory cardboard box in the back of an electronics store. The serial number says QPN which means july 2009. The store has had it since january 2010. Now I have it, since yesterday, and I am happy!

14. Ebelow

Ebelow

Jul 27, 2008
    Campbell, CA
    Wow!! Sweet! I always wanted to try out of this JM signature, maybe one day!

rtav likes this.
  15. Rickter

Rickter Bassist for EverCross Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Ebelow likes this.
  16. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
  17. azmati

azmati

Nov 20, 2006
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Had some time with the BB-604. As it appears in the bottom picture the bass is worn/loved. Which suites me fine, feels like the bass equivalent to a worn in pair of jeans.

Only 8.1 pounds according to my bathroom scale, when weighed with my thick strap, making it the lightest bass I've owned by a respectable margin.

The pickups can get a little noisy when soloed, however it doesn't come through when I record. Gain on the pre amp seems a little too high. I get some distortion when I have the volume on the bass maxed, through my setup. Trim the volume down some, and it sounds great. So many usable tones out of this bass! I'd rather be able to over do it than not, so I can't say too much gain is a problem for me. Battery box in the bass is too big for the 9 volts I use, so I used a small section of sponge to secure the battery.

I'm 6 months in with this BB-604, and I'm still very happy with it. It has some quirks, but the good far outweigh those quirks. Anyway, just wanted to share some thoughts, and pictures of what is now my main bass.

gVgXGW6l.
    jjIuAsTl.

kaoskater08 and Sidewinder7 like this.
  18. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    Boston
    Got this yesterday.
    1986 I believe. My new to me Motion B. Thing weighs like 7 pounds.

Attached Files:

azmati likes this.
  19. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

My friend's dad used to have this Yamaha bass, I have no idea what the model number was.

It was dark green (may have been a refinish, again, no idea), neck through, P/J configuration, had a 3-knob active preamp that he never replaced the battery on, and passive tone and volume, with a pickup switch.

Any one of you folks know what the model number on it would have been? He doesn't have it anymore.