1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yeah, I Wore Shorts!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by EdwardofHuncote, Jul 20, 2019.

1. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    That's Right, my TalkBass Brothers & Sisters... I broke The Rule!

Furthermore, I'm not sorry! It was hotter than dad-gummit here in Southwest Virginia yesterday evening, and I had an outdoor gig from 6:30 - 8:30 last night. Concerts by Canoe

Here's our guitar player, Josh, at load-in. Yeah, the stage is a floating boat dock. Show me the shade. Please. :help:

Load-in here!.

So I dutifully rolled my rig out that gangway, and set up... in the blistering sun. SPF 60, aerosol. Jeannie made me. I don't wanna' hear it.

All Set!.

Brought along my '89 Alembic 5-string for the main ax:

Greg & 89P5559 .

...and my partly Alembicized '67 Guild Starfire, for a switch-off or back-up:

Greg & BA-1407.

The shorts (if you're wondering) are a very comfortable, breathable fabric. I'm not nearly as brand-name conscious about them as I am about my bass gear, but I'll check for anybody who's interested. Alembic, Guild, Mesa, BagEnd, that's how I roll. Oh, the cap is from Nike... my Grand-daddy gave it to me. Oh well... another TalkBass fashion faux-pas. :facepalm:

The concert area for the show of course, is the water, but a good many folks set up along the shoreline too. I'm told that the music carries nearly a mile across the lake.

Resized_20190720_131307_8289.
    Resized_20190720_131347_6897.
    Resized_20190720_131530_7624.
    All trolling and jokes aside, it was a pretty fun thing. We had maybe 75-100 folks out on the water last night to play for, a few more on the land, and had a fantastic evening to throw down the newgrass, Harwell-Grice Band style. The Harwell Grice Band

20190720_133106.

20190720_132935.

And thanks to a complete disregard of the TalkBass Code, I got through it just fine. :smug:

Go ahead y'all... lemme' have it! Flames?! Report to Mods?! Warning points?! Whatcha' got?! :laugh:

2. FB_IMG_1563643848987.
    Yesterday, 101 heat index in central NY. And I'm not sorry about it!

3. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    I’m just glad ya didn’t fall in the water
    And everyone was wearing shorts; I even saw jorts!!
    Setting is beautiful
    When you’re gigging somewhere like that doesn’t matter what your garb is...:)

zontar, McG, chupacerveza and 6 others like this.
  4. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    You still gotta get reported though...

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The horror, the horror.
    ...some things cannot be unseen.

:)

Full disclosure...Va. Beach Oceanfront circa 1982. Hot as a muther, shorts & no shirt for me. In fact, all morning I was on the beach. The good ol' daze of youth.

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Good for you!
    Fight the power!

chupacerveza, kobass, dBChad and 3 others like this.
  7. Kilts are the answer to this conundrum.

(I live in Oregon and would die on the east coast in the summer, so good for you)

8. I'll wear shorts to a gig...in the winter! I don't give 2 craps what anyone thinks...

9. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    That looks like fun! (Heat notwithstanding, of course.) :thumbsup:

Ever since I saw the pics of Neil Peart playing his red kit on a raft, I've always thought playing on the water looked like a ridiculously cool thing to do:

[​IMG]

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Right on bass brother!
    Looks like a hot gig indeed!

11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Run! It's the shorts police!! :eek:

[​IMG]

:laugh:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  12. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    There were moments where I was worried about my rig... I had those Baggie S15X-D's up on a casterboard. A couple boats that came in close enough before they dumped the throttle kicked up a big enough wake that I had a vision of a big splash. Made me wonder if @agedhorse ever got that call... "say Andy, my D-800 just fell in a lake... is that gonna' be a covered warranty item, or uhh...?"

13. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Never mind the shorts... I'm hung up on the fact that you brought your Alembic...to a water barge gig? :wideyed:

14. BEADG63

BEADG63 Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Buffalo, NY
    I'll be playing in shorts this evening, and I'm also not sorry :thumbsup: Book 'em Dano! :roflmao:

15. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Bringing the Alembic absolutely cancels out any bad karma from wearing shorts.
    Great to see someone happy to play out with the good stuff.

EatS1stBassist, Low84, kobass and 5 others like this.
  16. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    You Get A Pass....THIS TIME! :)

17. jtg

jtg Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    You seem to have found the one gig where shorts don't make you look like an amateur. Nice work. And props on the old-school Bag End stack.

18. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    I'm hung up on the fact he put an Alembic tailpiece and bridge on his Guild.

19. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    My gig vehicle is a 1993 Volvo wagon. I have to wear car-go shorts to everything now. If i don't, I can't even get out of my driveway.

20. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Why didn't you throw up a canopy? My first thought was "I hope that Alembic doesn't get wet".