2TSB vs 3TSB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ricky Rioli, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Two-tone

108 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Three-tone

123 vote(s)
    47.5%
  3. Old School Carrotburst

28 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    preview.jpg 1963-fender-p-bass-6-1-2.jpg

2. johnsilva

johnsilva

Mar 9, 2012
    Portugal
  3. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    SJan3, Lackey, Rugmaster and 8 others like this.
  4. gitarrenhai

gitarrenhai

Aug 19, 2019
    depends on the rest of the bass... 2 tone for maple fingerboard (and gold pickguard), 3 tone for rosewood (and tort) - imo

5. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I think there must be something wrong with me, even with rosewood and tort I prefer the look of two tone :D Screenshot_20210624-112554_Chrome.jpg

matthewwithanm, SJan3, 74hc and 13 others like this.
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I like both bursts but prefer a deep brown with a longer fade yellow on 2TSB and a subtle long gradation on 3TSB with a smallish center section. No Clownbursts.

4SG, Billyzoom and Ricky Rioli like this.
  7. gitarrenhai

gitarrenhai

Aug 19, 2019
    nothing wrong here, it's just what I like! Doesn't have to match your preference, and yours doesn't have to match mine ;-)

8. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    So definitely not what I posted in the OP? :whistle:

9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I prefer 3TS, but, at a pinch, either would be fine. I've seen some basses where the burst is only on the front, the back is solid black! That won't do at all. It has to be 3TS on the front and the back.

Chain_Lightning and Ricky Rioli like this.
  10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Sorry, buy yes. When I worked in a music store back in the '70s we got in many different 'bursts both new and used and very few were to my liking.

Ricky Rioli likes this.
  11. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I prefer the three color burst, with an asterisk. I like that middle red to be a bit garish. Too much lipstick and too much rouge...

Billyzoom and Ricky Rioli like this.
  12. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    No need to apologise: I deliberately chose the nastiest example I could find to nudge the waiverers towards 2tsb :cigar:

noeinstein, woodyng2 and Standalone like this.
  13. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Two tone is graceful and elegant, like a well cut diamond. Three tone is just gaudy like costume jewelry or late night advertising.

14. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    three tone alllll day. it may look outlandish, but there’s something very “fender” about it.

15. Depends on the company who does it. IMHO, they both can look nice with a gradual gradient. I don't care for bursts when it's really abrupt or the black goes too far in before fading or for 99.9% of bursts where white is involved.

Nedmundo, steveinohio and Ricky Rioli like this.
  16. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    DSC_0013.JPG DSC_0014.JPG
    Of my two examples, the 2TS is nicer. Ibanez stepped up everything in the five years from 77 to 82.

Bajo Clarkko and Ricky Rioli like this.
  17. steveinohio

steveinohio

May 27, 2007
    I prefer three tone but both can look really nice. Both can look like complete trash as well.

Iristone and Ricky Rioli like this.
  18. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I should probably have offered a one-tone option in the poll as well. Gah. Screenshot_20210624-140730_Chrome-01.jpeg

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I generally don't like traditional bursts at all, but when I do, it's usually a dark three-tone with relatively gradual transitions between the colors. Some of G&L's three-tone bursts look great IMO, and some of their red, blue, green, and black bursts look fantastic.

20. I chose 3-tone.

2-tone is depressing

BassBuzzRS and Ricky Rioli like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021