1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    ^^^^ what i first noticed.

2. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

Ugh. I’ve seen this too many times in my career. Tragic. Seems like you lost a good guy there.
    Whew. That just got a lot cheaper for me to help you out. Thanks for clarifying.

DukeLeJeune likes this.
  3. sonofshel

sonofshel Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    C6AED815-B9AA-41FE-9A59-2045EFD18929.
    Their bass player would have benefited from this particular cable...best cable I’ve ever crossed (signal) paths with

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    They're pretty good at that.

OdinBrewhouse.

5. Low Key

Low Key Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Chicago
    A cable? :D

Seriously, I'm getting crap from band mates for not being wireless yet.

6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    I thank you and everyone else for your good wishes.

I made a mistake lifting something last week and lost most of the ground I'd gained. Got in a hurry and didn't use my brain cells. Must remember that the brain cells are there for a reason.

So it's like cold molasses has been poured over everything I do... everything slows down... dangit!

With apologies to Goose and Maverick, I feel the need... the need for speed!! (Seriously I tell myself dumb little things like that and it helps me pick it up a bit, even if I don't quite achieve "speed".)

So I have bunch of cabs that are in process and they are all still moving along.

wave rider, loopee, Slaymus and 4 others like this.
  7. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

That's a negative, Ghost Rider, the pattern is full. Take it easy and let your back heal up, then you can buzz the tower afterward. ;)

8. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    "Top Gun" is full of quotes to live by, kind of like "Pulp Fiction" and "Deadpool."

Lift with your head, not with your legs! Wait.

Two practices down with the cheater circuitless Birdhaus, and I think we are go for cheater disconnect. I think the cab's voicing suits my gear and settings just fine without the upper-mid enhancement.

At Friday night's practice our guitarist had a couple of his hometown high-school buddies, who all used to play in bands together way back when, come over and after we blew through our practice set it turned into a two-Marshall-half-stack basement jam blowout. The Birdhaus kept up just fine with 210 watts and the guest jammers all asked about it and remarked how clear and even the bass guitar coverage was, given the lack of guitar restraint that was going on.

I forgot to pull the two port plugs when we started, so I got about two-three songs in before going plugless, and in the mix I liked it both ways. I like the softer, bigger, bloomier low end with the plugs out a little more, and think that with them in (unaccompanied, at least) it sounds a little choked. But at practice levels, in the mix, I think the mid hump is what I'm really bringing and the cab does that in either configuration.

This thing rocks.

9. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

@mexicanyella Nice practice report! Which Birdhaus was that?

10. mexicanyella

mexicanyella

Feb 16, 2015
    4ST, it is a Birdhaus 48, the later dorm-fridge box shape as opposed to the earlier large suitcase box shape, with the side-firing woofers near the top of each side instead of halfway up. Non-switchable upper mids-enhancing cheater circuit, which I have disabled. I don't want to sound like Duke's "cheater circuit" was ineffective, or a bad idea. It definitely increased the upper mids and highs. But as I said in some earlier posts, I use kind of a dirty sound and end up cutting a lot up above 3 kHz, and thought that disabling the cheater circuit might mean I could get the sound I want with less subtractive EQ. So far, that seems to be the case.

I also play guitar and lap steel, and in its stock configuration the cab was well capable of putting those instruments across with pleasing tones. Whether going cheaterless has now made the cab too dark for those instruments remains to be seen. The cab's at our practice space for the next week or two and I haven't had a chance to try guitar or steel through it since disabling the cheater. If I need to re-enable it, it will be a simple matter of reconnecting a pair of capacitors that I snipped a lead to. Or adding a switch, so that it's selectable.

Here it can be seen--fuzzily--o'ertopped by three rack spaces of overbuilt, underpowered Peavey rack magic driven by a very plain bass and a CL-find Zoom B2. On a Transformers blanket. In a thread populated by Thanos-like amps, this one is more like Weasel from "Deadpool." But in thiscase we're talking Weasel being assisted by a really nice, cranked PA system.

Sometimes I come up with some pretty killer analogies, sure.

bass rig 2017.JPG

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    nutdog, lo-freq, McFarlin and 3 others like this.
  11. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Reading the latter part of this post made me want to find my heaviest amp and hoist it, in one smoothly aggressive motion, over my head -- while standing atop a hill, backlit by a dusky sun, as pterodactyls swoop around me, like some time-traveling Chevy Chase.

Then I felt a twinge in my shoulder. Plus, it's late.

(I could totally do it, though, if I wanted to.)

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    For those of you lucky enough to have a Hathor 1203 & a 1203T, which do you prefer as a standalone cab?

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    1203T. It's taller so closer to your ear. It has more internal volume for the woofer so it goes a little deeper. Also since it's taller it makes for a better seat! Which is actually a great feature for me in our cramped practice space :)

They both have the same footprint so they are equally easy to carry, and they are made to stack together. Ideally one of each is fantastic but if I had to choose just one I'd choose the 1203T.....well actually I'd choose the Changeling 12T if we're splitting hairs, but yeah....either of the T models if I had to choose one.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    lo-freq and Al Kraft like this.
  14. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Depends on the gig. For a smaller room I kinda prefer the H1203 but my 1203T is a changeling so it isn't apples/apples. For a louder gig I'll take the C1203T but usually it stays at home unless I want/need both cabs.

lo-freq, Al Kraft and wave rider like this.
  15. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I only have a C112T (not the Hathor), but I like the slightly taller cab (I'm 6'2") and I think the bass is probably a tad fuller (a dB or two at say around 60Hz) with that extra interior volume.

lo-freq and Ken Lloyd like this.
  16. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    Similar story for me. I prefer the 1203 Tall when using one cab, unless it's a dining room type gig where the Changeling with rear firing speakers on helps the other players hear me in the mix in a cramped space.

I agree that the Tall 1203 has a bigger deeper sound and I just love when I'm at pant-flapping volume. Gets over!!! When I'm taking one cab it's the 1203T nearly always.

17. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Same here. I own a Hathor 1203 and 1203T. Agree when taking 1 unless a small acoustic show I will
    take the 1203T. I always keep the other one in the truck, as Im a firm believer of having 2 of everything.
    I love stacking both of them, but am finding more and more the 1203T alone is usually more than enough.

18. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Second time using the Changeling 212 on a stage. We played this Comic Con where, I shart you not, Kato Kaelin was the between-song hype man. It took a moment to realize who he was after he introduced himself with a fist-bump (it was early). Dude is hilarious.
    Other highlights included Jerry Mathers, Lou Ferrigno, and Danny Trejo.
    And I watched a 3-5 y.o. kid dressed as Spider Man slowly build the courage to hold a tarantula. It was a good day.

Our drummer never played an electric kit before today (no more than fooling with one at a drum store). It was unexpected. Unexpected meaning they watched him unload his kit, then decided to tell him it wouldn't be used. He Ferrigno'd-out at first, calmed down, then did a fantastic job with it. Very different experience, though, hearing a stick strike a rubber pad, while the only monitors are 15 ft. away at the front of the stage.

Anyhow, I had to play at near bedroom volume. Probably should have brought the 1203. But hoisting the 212 on one shoulder for the walk across the entire Austin Convention Center was no problem.

42224029_238831363647407_7433228332147146752_n.

Irish Dave was excited about Kato. I wouldn't be surprised if they're somewhere doing karaoke right now.
    42366743_317774915648132_4199061363475087360_n.

Edit:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  19. Quilter owner here. I'm quite interested in the C112T and have emailed Duke for a price and build time estimate - may be quite a while due to his injury this month, but I'm in no hurry.

I wanted to go back to this post by mmbongo, and ask you Quilter/C112T owners (there's not many of you yet!) if it's possible to set the BB800's feet between the midrange slots on top. If so, is there any coverage of the slots by the feet?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    DukeLeJeune likes this.
  20. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

You can set it up so the either the front or rear feet are sitting in the handle recess or neither are. No significant port coverage either way. If you tilt the C112t back, hooking the rear feet in the recess is a good thing.
    51946FBD-3118-49DB-865E-7919946F5CE5. 3594BB85-7386-4099-AA50-7B7BA41D2877.