1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    Not to derail, though can you summarize the diffs between WD800 and W800? My W800 is the 2nd best thing to ever happen to my live sound, with AK cabs being first.

2. I've been playing nothing but IEM gigs the last while, and had almost no time for personal practice.

After a lot of tweaking, I've ended up with an IEM rig that is pretty well optimized considering my budget. Still not thrilled, but I had gotten lulled into thinking that it wasn't all that bad...

...Until I finally got some quality time with my MB Fusion and the Thunderchild this weekend.

It was practically an out-of-body experience. The room sound, the dynamic range, the full and punchy low end, the midrange detail, that silky quality up top...

lomo, coolhang, RColie and 4 others like this.
  3. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    ....similar renaissance experience......hadn't played my Hathor 1203 in a long while.......reunited it with my D800+ and wow...love all over again....and there was a curiously opportune alignment of planets when I spied a 1533 FS in the TB classsifieds that was already up here in Canada......want overcame need and I am looking forward to the increased options the pair will provide!

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Funny. I have an MB Fusion and a D-800 also. I tend to pack the one I feel like on any given gig. They both sound fantastic through my Changeling 1203s.

Unfortunately I'm also on an IEM setup now. I pack a single cabinet just in case, and usually wire it up and run a little out of it to supplement the FOH, but don't get to hear how great it sounds on the gigs anymore. :(

5. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Hi, I'm nutdog, and I'm addicted to my hathors.

I too went for a period without needing more than one 1203 and even that was overkill. Mostly through PA, even played my last gig at small brewery with everything through a bose L1 model II which actually had fairly impressive bass sound.

But about a month ago the obnoxiously loud trio decided to give it another go after a 2 year hiatus. We've been meeting in the drummer's work/studio space. How obnoxious are we? This obnoxious-

IMG_1914.

The drummer thinks the guitar player is too loud, the guitar player thinks the drummer is too loud. I think it's all too loud. Yet, for some reason, when told them of the magic knob* that makes the volume decrease they didn't want to use it. So I put in earplugs and let 'er rip.

The d800 is gain/master/eq at noon, just a bit of voice dialed in to fatten it up. I had the master about 1 and the guitar player actually asked me to turn down. And after an hour and a half of pounding** the mesa is cool and quiet. This rig never ceases to satisfy***, both while playing and loading.

IMG_1913.

*My next band will be called Magic Knob.
    **Concert tour will be called An Hour and a Half of Pounding
    ***First album will be called Never Ceases To Satisfy.

6. Ken Lloyd

Ken Lloyd Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2004
    Portland, Maine
    And then your Unplugged album will be called

Well maybe there won't be an Unplugged release.

7. been_effected

been_effected

Mar 18, 2007
    Sounds like how Steel Panther got started

8. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Hi Duke I just wanted to come into the public thread and thank you for your amazing customer service. I know I haven't touched base with you since the cab came back but it is great and I'm not sure if it's my imagination but think it sounds better than the old one. Is this possible? Also love the little footballs. Thanks again!

9. 3rdcurve

3rdcurve Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Sullivan, MO
    Score!

lomo likes this.
  10. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I tell you my demeter hathor rig just obliterates all.....

We play heavy by collective soul, playing my p type 5 string with a pick, lots of 16th notes on the 7th fret e on the A string.

Guitarist doesn't stand a chance...

nutdog, loopee, wave rider and 3 others like this.
  11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    So my speaker is the thunder child , it has the 12 in woofer and the Tweeter. My bass is pretty dark and I'm using a realist pickup which is also pretty dark , so I'm high passing, also rolling off the bass knob a tad and boosting some mids, not sure exactly which frequency but let's just say 300ish? Maybe higher? From what I can tell the Tweeter isnt doing much with the settings that I'm using. I'm using the switches on the back to turn them on and off with probably no difference in my tone, perhaps a slight difference. The mids on this thing are so sweet. I'm comparing it to another cabinet I have that's 3-way design with a woofer a mid driver and a tweeter and the lows on this cabinet are tighter and the mids are sweeter. Is it possible that this 12 inch driver is reproducing the mids like that better than a 3-way design? (I'm running the thunder child sealed, all ports plugged)

wave rider and kittywithabanjo like this.
  12. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I don't know which version of the Thunderchild you have, but I believe that they, like the Hathors, use a stock 3012LF woofer. If so, the "sweet mids" you hear are most likely not coming entirely (or even in the main) from that.

I don't know where or how the woofer and that big horn are crossed over, but my guess is that the horn reaches lower than the typical bass cab tweeter and that it overlaps to some degree with the woofer. Also, the switches in the back, as far as I know, don't turn the tweeter on and off -- per Duke's webpage, they function thus:

top end switchable between 3.5 kHz and 17 kHz (-3 dB points), midrange switchable between smooth and a just a hint of grindy in the upper mids
    The only version of the Thunderchild I've played was a v1 (one port, big waveguide). It was some years ago, so I don't recall everything about it, but I recall being impressed with the fidelity and the way the woofer transitioned to the horn -- the little Hathor 1203 I have (also the one-port version) is similarly "of a piece" in moving from the woofer to the mid/high driver, which bespeaks a well-executed crossover.

Duke can of course expand on or correct anything I've missed, here.

steve_rolfeca, wave rider and TomB like this.
  13. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    Yeah I've got a new version I think so I'm not exactly sure what the switches do. I have a volume control on the back and two switches, and I have a front-mounted and a top mounted horn. I thought that maybe both of the switches were on-off switches for each horn but that wouldn't make sense since there's also a volume control for one of the horns

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The earliest version used a proprietary OEM driver build. It is something like a hybrid between the 3012LF and 3012HO, and is a 4 ohm driver. I'm not sure which rev brought the switch to the stock 3012LF format, but it seems like it was quite a while ago.

15. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks for clarifying that, Charlie.

I remember the top-mounted horn thing being discussed fairly recently, but can't recall if another example of it was posted before yours (there's an "acoustic friendly" version with a rear-mounted tweeter, but perhaps this supplants that?). Duke or someone would have to fill you in on what all the different switches do on yours.

16. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Pair of TC112AFv4 before some recording action !!!
    Love those cabs ! Btw, I am NOT playing cajon, but it was a nice seat :)
    IMG_0871.JPG

17. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Version 4? I can't keep up! What's new?

18. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Duke did a one-off TC112 build with a top horn for the Marco Bass NAMM booth in 2018, which lives in Marco's shop these days. That one has an L-pad for the top tweeter. Not sure what @shwashwa has, or what the switches do on his build. But the usual functions involve mid voicing/growl, tweeter rolloff frequency, and impedance switching.

19. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    sounds like i better find out what my switches do before i plug it into my tube amp!

Passinwind and 4StringTheorist like this.
  20. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i notice duke hasn't posted in a while. is everything ok with him?