1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Yeah, that's partly what prompted me to post. I have the TC112 v1 AF variant, which was a whole other thing as far as the switching.

I think Duke has been busy with some big hi-fi show extravaganza lately, i.e. his "real business."

wave rider likes this.
  2. Slaymus

Slaymus Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Quebec
    Rear-firing horn and compression driver horn are the same as the front-firing set, and better compression drivers. I don't remember if top horn (instead of rear) is standard on v4, but I asked for a rear one because I often use the top of my cab, so I prefer a more flat surface there.
    Since the rear horn is bigger, the switches are now on top :
    Horn frequency response : 18kHz or 7kHz
    Rear horn volume adjustment 0 or -6db
    IMG_1412.JPG IMG_1413.JPG

3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    The single lone switch on the back is for top-end rolloff, it gently rolls off the top end of both horns when in the DOWN position. The switch labelled "on/off" turns off the top-firing horn, your cab is the only one in recent years with an "on/off" switch one of the horns, my recollection is that you requested it. And the knob adjusts level of top-firing horn.

Sorry I haven't been around here much lately, I'm back home now hopefully long-term, and working to get caught up on a bunch of cabs.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    Ric Vice, Haroldo, GregC and 6 others like this.
  4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Thanks, Duke! I'm sure @shwashwa will appreciate knowing this. ;)

Does his cab have a 4/8 Ohm switch? If not, can you tell us the impedance?

Hope you had a good trip - welcome back and happy catching!

wave rider likes this.
  5. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    No 4/8 ohm switch on his cab. My recollection is that his is a 4 ohm cab. The way I'm using the two compression drivers on these new Thunderchild cabs with the up-firing tweeter makes the switch impractical.

MarkA and wave rider like this.
  6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    hey duke I just want to make sure you got the post where I said how much I love this thing. Also did you see the post above where I talk about the mids?

nutdog and DukeLeJeune like this.
  7. DukeLeJeune

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Yes, thank you very much!!

Real Soon, nutdog and Sanchan like this.
  8. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    The stack is complete.....versatile tonal bliss with a double dollop of ergonomic helium sauce. Both heads play well with both cabs but I particularly like the sensitivity of the 15 under the lower powered Walkabout.
    IMG_4153.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  9. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    So I played a big outdoor civic gig last night where some organizational stuff fell through at the last minute and the organizers had no PA. I had to grab my pa stuff which, while decent, was in no way designed to fill a large outdoor space properly. The moral of the story is that I ran the just kick drum to the subs and used my Hathor 212 as a stand alone save myself some juice in the PA. That thing just crushed it using the full 800 watts from my bass block. I've sung the praises of this cab before, but I honestly had no idea until last night how much sound you can get if you really push these cabs. I have no idea what type of db I was pushing out, but it flooded the area with big warm sound and never seemed to struggle in the slightest. If anyone is reading this to decide if you want to buy a Hathor, the answer is yes. It was kind of cool to unleash the beast, I've never had or needed that kind of ridiculous stage volume before. (Ps, ladies literally threw underwear on stage, what an endorsement.)

lo-freq, Jonny5bass, lomo and 13 others like this.
  10. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    With all that nice gear you need a more appropriate seat.

B1100735725.

11. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2004
    New Jersey
    \
    Medicine Man, I had a similar experience just last week with the Prototype Changeling 1533 that Duke made for me. There was no room for bass in the PA at a medium-sized outdoor gig (about a third of a football field), so my 600W Glockenklang Blue Soul and my Audiokinesis 1533 Changeling had to carry the entire burden of bass amplification. There was zero PA support for me at all: the drums, vocals and guitar were hogging all of it. Not good!

I was seriously worried that I wouldn't be heard at all over the PA, so I pushed both the Glock and the Changeling as hard as I felt was prudent. Let me tell you, the combination of amp and cabinet got surprisingly loud. The Changeling roared with all that power going into it. Halfway through the 2nd song, the soundman gave me a huge thumbs up. I thought that he was just patronizing me because he knew I was irritated with him. But, after our first set, he told me that he was incredulous at not only the amount of volume, but also how well he heard the details of my sound as he moved around the audience. He said my bass sat perfectly in the mix - I was playing a '66 P bass both fingerstyle and with a pick for this gig. He said the sound was full and thick... and very aggressive, especially when I played with a pick. A bass player friend of mine was in the audience that said basically the same thing, and wanted to know what was that cabinet I was playing. So, I guess the sound guy wasn't giving me a load of bull... I really did sound great... perhaps not my playing (LOL)... but at least my tone. :)

Duke, I still love this prototype Changeling 15 you made me. Keep up the good work, my friend. For those of you wondering if the Changeling 1533 or the Hathor 1533 can adequately handle high volume situations, let me assure you that - at least in the setting that I described above - it did so admirably.

Also, Duke... you know that this question is coming... any progress on LOGOs? No, I haven't forgotten. WINK!

Ben

Slaymus, GregC, LeonD and 1 other person like this.
  12. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Ditto... Just acquired a Hathor 1533 (from the classifieds. Very rare to see) I just played a show at The Queen in Wilmington Delaware. A beautiful nice sized theater, about 1000 people filled the room. After a tune the soundman comes up and asks me to cut some low end around 100K, as he had to take me out of the subs. Bwah :) He was refering to my stage tone/volumn, not the FOH feed. He was good, because I did have a bit of a boost around there, and no where near pushing the cab. Totally thrilled with this cabinet. Loud and clear and takes EQ very well. 1 hand carry. Defies physics.
    I think its pretty clear I will 'probably' never need this configuration.... of 1533 + 1203T......

20190728_095708.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  13. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    :laugh::roflmao::laugh::roflmao::laugh:

14. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    I've had similar experiences with my TC 115 v.1. I do lots of outdoor gigs both with and without PA and it delivers every time with GK MB500's & now a Legacy 800. Your story reminds me of a large outdoor show from last year that had very nice quality PA support. I recall as we were setting up some skepticism about the TC from the very young sound techs - "looks like an old-school PA cab, hahaha!"A few tunes into the show they asked me to turn up slightly so they could pull me a bit out of the mains - what came off the stage sounded so good in the mix! At the end of the show they were falling over each other to try and find out who made that cab. I'm getting used to that now. For years I wanted to add my TC 112 to the 115 for an outdoor stack, but I had to wait for the 2 ohm capability of the Legacy. Now that I have that, I don't think I'll need it. The 115 is just fine by itself. Thx Duke!

15. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Are those headless Fodera six-strings?

16. mngnt

mngnt

Aug 9, 2015
    Alberta, Canada
    Haven't posted in this thread for a while... Just got back from a music retreat. Venue was a beautiful camp about an hour away.

Brought my BN6 and one TC112v3AF. I've had the cabs for a while, but hadn't really opened them up (sound treatment in my 20x12ft music room only does so much). Let me just say WOW; the sound these cabs can produce is nothing short of incredible. The low B shook the entire amphitheatre - better than the 18in PA sub that was probably 8x the size and weight! But of course the rest of the frequencies were fantastic too.

We are lucky these exist!

IMG_20190804_190836. IMG_20190804_185407. IMG_20190804_190814.

17. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    yes. prototype. i'm pretty sure they're the first headless fodera basses.

Passinwind and lomo like this.
  18. MarkA

Sep 26, 2008
    Cool. Are these the same sixers you've played for awhile or new? (Apologies for the derail!)

19. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    they’re the same ones from 2014. just keep getting better.