1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

AudioKinesis Cabs Part VI...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Thor, Jun 3, 2013.

1. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Groovy, dude. I either missed or, more likely, forgot that they were headless! May you continue to play them in in good health.

steubig likes this.
  2. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Audiokinesis.

I received my TC 112 AF with top firing tweeter last week and have been A/B ing it with my Changeling 112 with the upright. Hats off to Duke as both speakers are tremendous. As Duke states in his website the TC beats out the Changeling for double bass but not by much. I've been using the Changeling for a variety of gigs and it truly shines with my Sadowsky EB. I have an EB gig coming up and if the TC 112 sounds as good as the Changeling I may be selling the Changeling. I just want to repeat what's already been said. Duke is the best in the business and designs and builds a superior product. Thanks again Duke!

3. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    How do you find the low end between the two, Slim? I know that the larger TC is supposed to be a bit bigger and more open in the lows. I'm curious if this difference holds (or if there's a difference in low frequency power handling - might be a question for @DukeLeJeune) with the ports plugged, as well.

You should try the TC stacked atop the Changeling (maybe with one or more ports plugged), just to see what happens.

staccatogrowl likes this.
  4. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Honestly I don't hear much of a difference in the lows but I don't play 5 string and almost always engage a high pass filter to some degree. Describing the TC 112 AF as "more open" in the lows I think is somewhat accurate but I'm not so sure what I'm hearing isn't a result of the horn midrange driver and Duke's crossover magic. Regarding power handling, definitely a question for Duke.

5. steubig

steubig

Jul 17, 2001
    locustland, ca
    fwiw, i think the tc112 (v1) goes lower than either the hathor 1203 or tall changeling. ot perhaps it’s more apparent low end.

6. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    Dibs..

loopee and Slim Pickins like this.
  7. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    I do enjoy pairing my Hathor with my TC112 because of this, but I do keep thinking on a tall hathor for when I am just using one cab which is most of the time.

loopee likes this.
  8. maisbass

maisbass Supporting Member Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    NYC
    I agree. It feels and sounds to me that my TC112v1 goes lower than my 1203. I love love love that pairing!!!

9. PDGood

PDGood Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Hmmmm....that TC rig looks somewhat familiar. (Note: Current settings on this amp are for when I run a cigar box guitar through it - not my
    bass).
    Mesa rig.JPG

kittywithabanjo and Slim Pickins like this.
  10. JohnnyBottom

JohnnyBottom Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Question... re: 1533 8ohm vs 4ohm switch.
    Would setting the cab at 8ohm, be a reasonable method of protecting the cab from getting too much power from an 800 watt head like a WD800 or BB800, being it is a 500 watt cab ? I guess I would lose some head room, but how possible is it those heads would damage the cab at 4 ohms, not diming the heads. ?
    Thanks,

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I don't know for sure if flipping the cab's impedance switch will help, but if the head has a 2 / 4 Ohm switch (like the Mesa), flipping it to 2 Ohms will definitely diminish its' power output and decrease the chance of cab damage.

JohnnyBottom likes this.
  12. Basically Bob

Basically Bob Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Simcoe, Ontario
    I have been using a composite, compact, TC115 for seven years now. Love it!

What are your thoughts of running two acoustic guitars, two vocals and my bass through a small mixer, into my amp and using the TC as a PA speaker for small, relatively quiet venues like coffee shops, bistros (40 people) or house parties?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I've done that with my TC112 quite happily. In my case I use the Aux input on my amp for the board feed and just run the bass through the normal instrument input. As long as the board has decent EQ capabilities it's all good, IME. But obviously cab location is going to be a big deal as far as monitoring efficiency vs. feedback potential. My cab is an AF version and I think the back tweeter is a bonus here, in that you can set the mikes up somewhat to the side of the cab and still hear them OK. I tend to dial the HPF in my amp up to a higher than normal cutoff frequency to minimize acoustic guitar feedback issues too. But hopefully your board already has low cut filters per channel.

14. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Happily, this is true. Per Aged Horse in some other thread, flipping the Subway 800 impedance switch to the 2-ohm setting reduces the power output to 600 watts into 4 ohms. Which pleases me greatly, relative to my AK Hathor 1533.

JohnnyBottom and 4StringTheorist like this.
  15. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Anyone know what kind of plywood Duke uses in his cabs?

sonofshel likes this.
  16. sonofshel

sonofshel Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    The good kind...I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist! :D I have no idea but it’s a good question. Whatever it is, it’s strong and sturdy for the light weight and heavy sounds that they produce

Slaymus and mngnt like this.
  17. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Has to be thin ply Baltic Birch...

18. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    sonofshel, nutdog, jwindham and 5 others like this.
  19. Type-55

Type-55

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    Great info. Thanks Tom for your spot on reply.

jwindham and tombowlus like this.
  20. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Would I be a bad person if I turned my cabs sideways? :bookworm: I recently got a 90s SVT Classic, and it's too wide for my upright Hathor 15 and almost too wide for my Thunderchild 15. Love these cabs with a good tube amp.