1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bugera

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by buzzbass, Sep 2, 2019.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    500w by what standard? FTC? RMS? CEA? ...
    If it's 2000w peak, then it's generally 1000w of one of these standards.

Still watts mean squat - difference in efficiency of cabinets will affect loudness much more.

2. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Based on other Behringer ratings it might be 1000W, but might only be 500W RMS, or about 350W by the standards of a 1995 Trace Elliot like DownUnderWonder has and I used to have. Happy days.

3. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Yeah it is very bright. Check out the YouTube video of Wimbish playing the Veyron at NAMM. That gives you a very good idea of how it sounds.

What you can't hear though is how the D and G strings get buried in a loud band mix. Again some people may like it, but it definitely wasn't my flavor.

4. 500w rms @4ohms. I think it was 300, or 350 @8

5. It is loud. And sounds pretty darn decent

6. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

I’ve got a few Line 6 and Boss pedals and the Behringer knockoffs of the same. While they operate the same, and sound similar, looking internally, they are built differently.

One pair is a Line 6 Roto Machine Leslie simulator and the Behringer knockoff. They sound a bit different but are pretty interchangeable in use.

The circuit boards are far different. The Behringer is a lot simpler. There chips used are different and the switching systems are different. Behringer may have run into problems with Line 6 with this pedal as the Behringer was only available in the US for a few short months, but continued to be sold in Europe after they dried up here.

Comparisons with other pedals and their Behringer clones show the same types of differences.

DWBass likes this.
  7. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    TC has the Vibraclone rotary which sounds good from the demos.
    So maybe Music Tribe dumped the Behringer pedal for the VibraClone ...
    Which gives me hope that the Bass amp line will probably all shift over to TC eventually.
    Bugera just sticking with guitar amps.

8. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    What's the problem when Bugera copies the GB SL? The Streamliner was highly praised, but Genz Benz did not manage to be in the market. Not everyone can afford a mesa boogie. So the Bugeras can be a good alternative.
    I own both Bugeras, the Tube and the Mosfet Version. I prefer the Mosfet Version, because this sounds a little bit brighter and more open.
    It was a bit unfortunate that Bugera advertised the peak performance of these amps. IMO the performance of the amps is really sufficient.

Sanchan and Cage like this.
  9. nothing I could tell you that would change your mind about buying copies.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  10. Cage

Cage

Oct 1, 2018
    Very well put

11. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I didn't realise TC was under the same group. I have never cared for the sound of the TC amps, though. Trace Elliot and now Warwick have done well for me, although I'd consider one of the mothership TecAmps if another came up cheap but last time was after I'd just bought a second identical Warwick. I have lightweight cabs so need heavy amps to pin them down...

12. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    In an open market then a long as IP rights aren't being violated Behringer is free to do this. Some might not consider it to be ethical, some may consider it to be a way to offer gear more affordably. In terms of clones of circuits some boutique pedals are closer to clones than the behringer ones, but generally of things like tubescreamers circuits that haven't had IP protection on that aspect for a couple of decades.

Some Behringer gear is great and built solidly (remembering more of what I have it includes a speaker sim box that will take speaker level and an ADI21 which was to fix an issue with someone else's instrument cheaply), and stuff I might use occasionally but wouldn't trust not to self destruct like the OC-2 clone.

Currently the mic tube preamp I have just produces noise, but until I remember where I put my last remaining NOS Mullard, having given the rest away, I don't know where the fault is.

With respect to the Bugera, though, I don't know where it stands in terms of build quality as I'm not QUITE decrepit enough to get rid of the lead sleds, even despite the random shoulder injury I got at the start of the year.

13. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Behringer really should quote RMS. You have to go and RTFM to find what the real output is. With active speakers you really need to dig around to find the maximum SPL figures, although that goes for all of them, but some of the Behringer stuff seems to perform relatively poorly here. When I got new PA speakers two or three years ago I got passive ones but not Behringer as the maximum SPL for the weight was disappointing. I'd previously got a different brand of low cost active speakers that were very disappointing in this regard and are now relegated to monitors#.

# I have an old Trace Elliot combo for coffee house stuff, etc, but it's not a fully transparent sound, so the monitors woukd work. The monitors seem relatively close in loudness to the Trace Elliot which is 60W into one 12 inch speaker. The newer PA, given the ohm issue, is 500w into 12 inch speakers and manages about 120dB max. I'd be anticipating venue PA for anything needing to be louder. Indeed, in one village hall I've used it has 4kW of Crown amps into two 15 plus horn H&Ks and two 18 inch subs for a venue of 120 capacity, so even some village halls do well these days. Some have signal integrity issues, or quote you '2000W' when it's 500W RMS into speakers that would eject their cones if you put more than 100W RMS apiece into them. Loud is a relative term - loud when providing birdsong examples for a slide show of the finches of Uganda, but not for a band.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  14. [​IMG]

15. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    European or African greenfinch?

Getting off topic, a while back a venue, a community hall, said they had a loud PA, but it was more to support plays, so I took my stuff. This was a venue close to a residential area and there were half a dozen noise complaints the next day, so I'd apparently overplayed my hand on the PA. Some of the audience also complained it was too loud, but to be fair we were handing out earplugs to anyone who wanted them.

DrMole, agedhorse and DJ Bebop like this.
  16. Thick-billed seedeater of Uganda...

-Asdfgh- likes this.
  17. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    That'll teach me to make up random and unlikely scenarios.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  18. [​IMG]

19. Beaky!

DJ Bebop likes this.
  20. [​IMG]

5StringBlues likes this.